Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
Glen Miller
El_indian
Dan
Forest
Juventino
Mr Durmmond
Ra's al Ghul
Grenade
Theo Filippo
hoggyboy
The Bat-Man
Gegilworld93
Kelloggg8
Cornholio
Sheppy
Jord
Keanoo
Sean
Pippo
luke.
Jayx1012
SBSP
Roloman4
ricky//habana
menalawyerguy
Cameron.
Jordi
Kuled
Cadbury
Childish Logic
mac
Weather130
Mustangt125
dena
Lux
Danny
40 posters

2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions

Anonymous

2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 Empty Re: 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 am

Whose next you reckon?

Syria or Jordan. Perhaps Yemen or Morocco.
    Anonymous

2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 Empty Re: 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:40 am

Algeria is planning a very big protest tomorrow. The only problem is that the Algerian army and police are worse. It could be bloody.

I still find it hard to happen soon in the Middle East (Asian part). Libya could also be next.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm

I thought I read something about Algeria's protests being quelled or something on wiki. Have to check. Are they really planning on such a protest?

If so, Woopie. Fuck the Middle East, North Africa all the way. cheers

North African trade union and better relations with Europe after this please. Smile
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Libya is on deck, followed by Yemen
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Happy for you guys Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Protesters remained in Tahrir Square today to clean up the streets after 18 days of protests.

Who's next?

Algeria: Nearly 2000 pro-democracy protesters clashed with police forces at the central May 1 square. The government had imposed a ban on all opposition rallies but protesters seemed deteremined to come out on the streets. Reports claim that the police have blocked all entry points into the capital and are arresting activists. Algeria could be next in line to Egypt, but analysts believe the government will silence the protests with its oil and gas wealth. Al Jazeera reports that internet services Twitter and Facebook have been disrupted.

Libya: A "Day of Rage" in Libya and by Libyans in exile is planned for 17 February.

Yemen: By noon, at least 4,000 protesters gathered to demonstrate in Sana'a, with numbers expected to rise.
    Approximately 5,000 police with clubs and government supporters beat the anti-government protesters who were celebrating the resignation of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and were also demanding the removal of Saleh. Protesters also tried to reach the Egyptian embassy in Sana'a, but police forces kept them back. The General People's Congress sent busloads of their members, equipped with food, water and tents, to Sana'a Square to prevent protesters from gathering there. Clashes then broke out between the groups after pro-Saleh protesters, armed with knives and sticks, forced about 300 anti-government protesters to end their. The Associated Press reported government troops as beating the anti-government protesters who were chanting "After Mubarak, it's Ali's turn" and "A Yemeni revolution after the Egyptian revolution."

Kuled wrote:Happy for you guys Smile

Thanks.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Thank god it's over then. But will this spark a huge chain of other countries trying to protest the way Egypt did?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm

Jord wrote:Thank god it's over then. But will this spark a huge chain of other countries trying to protest the way Egypt did?

It already has. Tunisia is the one who started it and should receive the most credit. But once Egypt succeeded, it gave everyone more hope. Algeria and Yemen picked up there protests to a new level the day after Mubarak resigned. Libya is trying their own "Day of Anger" later this week.

The governments of most of the Middle East have already made concessions and plans on reforms before Egypt was toppled because they feared it could happen in their country if Egypt succeeded.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Here is a Wiki article on the 2010-11 Arab world protests: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%932011_Arab_world_protests
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 am

In an interview, Gaddafi (Libya's president), tried to explain the meaning of democracy. He claimed it was an Arabic word formed from two words: demmo + karacy. Demmo in Arabic means "keep" and karacy in Arabic means "chairs". So he is saying he is democratic because he has maintained in power for 41 years. facepalm rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 am

ahlycotc wrote:In an interview, Gaddafi (Libya's president), tried to explain the meaning of democracy. He claimed it was an Arabic word formed from two words: demmo karacy. Demmo in Arabic means "keep" and karacy in Arabic means "chairs". So he is saying he is democratic because he has maintained in power for 41 years. 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 58503 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 70955
    my god. 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 58503

Gaddafi gone the better. Chavez's best friend, had him over for Christmas. 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 386937
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 am

It's almost impossible to say who is next. So many protests turned ugly today. Clashes happened in Iran, Bahrain, and Yemen. The Palestinian Cabinet was sacked today as well. The chief negotiator of Palestine resigned a couple of days ago.

This is exciting, The Middle East finally has a hopeful future. If the West knew any better, they would be supporting this because this would deal a blow to Al Qaeda and others. The reason these terrorist groups exist is because they believe violence is the only way to topple the governments and the people supporting the corrupt governments. When people see that nonviolent protests can lead to the goals, ordinary people will get less convinced by these terrorist groups.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:45 am

Over 200 dead in Libya in 6 days.

Gaddafi is hiring sub-Saharan African mercenaries to fight the protests. He is also using artillery, snipers, and helicopter gunships.

This guy is fucking crazy!
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 am

Bahraini military opened fire on demonstrators on Friday morning, killing 5 I believe. Death toll is up to 7. Tanks were patrolling the streets until last evening. A dialogue has reportedly begun between the Crown Prince and opposition groups and things have calmed down a bit.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 am

ahlycotc wrote:Over 200 dead in Libya in 6 days.

Gaddafi is hiring sub-Saharan African mercenaries to fight the protests. He is also using artillery, snipers, and helicopter gunships.

I hope Chavez is watching.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 am

polska. wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Over 200 dead in Libya in 6 days.

I hope Chavez is watching.

I just heard Gaddafi fled to Venezuela. Laughing Most likely rumours though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 pm

I've always been fascinated with The Chaos Theory. That famous example where the butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the world and creates a hurricane on the other side is my favorite. Today while watching 60 minutes I realized that what was exactly what happened. All started with the death of one fruit seller in Tunisia. Amazing.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Rei wrote: I've always been fascinated with The Chaos Theory. That famous example where the butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the world and creates a hurricane on the other side is my favorite. Today while watching 60 minutes I realized that what was exactly what happened. All started with the death of one fruit seller in Tunisia. Amazing.

Yeah I'm still amazed how one person (by burning himself) led to protests in 20+ countries and the fall of 2 governments so far. One Tunisian achieved in months what the US and its allies couldn't do in 10 years.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 am

Looks like Libya is indeed next. Qaddafi is on his last leg. Ambassadors are resigning. Members of his own government are starting to call for him to leave. He's not going to last much longer. I fear one more massacre might be in the cards though before he realizes it. Shame.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am

Gaddafi has to go down as the worst dictator ever! This guy is unbelievable. He is bombing his own people from navy ships and fighter jets!!! He is also burning soldiers to death for refusing to attack protesters. Two Libyan military aircrafts landed in Malta today as air force pilots are trying to seek political asylum for refusing to bomb their people. Gaddafi's son made a speech today saying he and his father will fight to the last man, woman, and bullet. He is declaring the worst kind of warfare against his own people. Gaddafi must be killed! I just don't get why leaders put themselves through this? It's obvious bombing your own people will not shut your people up. It only makes matters worse and you will eventually suffer a humiliating exit or death.

The death toll was over 500 earlier this morning (250 just yesterday). It could be reaching 1,000 soon at this rate. Nobody can put a number on today's death because it has been chaotic and media coverage is limited.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

Happy Birthday 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 859644
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 am

Jord wrote:Happy Birthday 2011 Africa & Middle East Protests/Revolutions - Page 6 859644

Thanks

I would like to see Gaddafi step down for my birthday. Laughing
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm

ahlycotc wrote:Gaddafi has to go down as the worst dictator ever!

Pound-for-pound, maybe. Depends on how you define bad. No dictators have done more damage than Hitler, Stalin or Mao, but each of them had some successes you could point to. And then you have Pol Pot, who did absolutely nothing aside from inflict misery, pain, suffering and death. My vote goes to Pol Pot.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 am

Someone I know had this status up: "Gadaffi's speech seems to boil down to 'Everyone is on drugs except me. Also, I am Batman.'"

rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 am

That hour and a half speech made Hitler roll in his grave. I will post the transcript and memorable quotes when I get home.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:03 pm

The UN Security Council passes a 15-0 vote for sanctions against Libya.

Travel bans, assets freezes, and trade embargoes.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm

I love the domino effect thats happening around the world, even if its not always succuseful it shows people can make a difference
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm

ahlycotc wrote:The UN Security Council passes a 15-0 vote for sanctions against Libya.

Travel bans, assets freezes, and trade embargoes.

Here comes SUPER expensive petrol prices Fuck you
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:49 pm

People from Libya coming to get me Run
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Egypt
    Egypt's general prosecutor has imposed a travel ban on former president Hosni Mubarak and his family pending further investigations.
    The prosecutor Abdel Magid Mahmud on Monday also ordered the freezing of all of their financial assets inside the country.

Libya

rofl

Oman
    Demonstrators blocked roads and held rallies on Monday in Oman. In the northeastern port city of Sohar, where the protests originated, demonstrators blocked roads to the port, Oman’s second biggest, and to an industrial area that includes a refinery and an aluminum factory. They also set a supermarket on fire and clashed with the police. Protesters have also been camped out for three days in the city’s main square, called Kurra Ardiyah Roundabout, despite efforts by the police and army to push them out.

Yemen
    Protests continue in Yemen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:47 am