Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
Jorlung
Gegilworld93
The Dane
Coatsy
The Bat-Man
Pippo
Milano
menalawyerguy
Bye_Ya
Childish Logic
Theo Filippo
VivaRonaldoLAD
MickStupp
ResurrectionRooney
Mal
Jamie
blackskar
The Zlatan
El_indian
El Jefe
Zzonked
Jayx1012
masutora
Sean
dena
Cadbury
mac
Roloman4
SBSP
Barton
Jord
Ben
Cornholio
Bushido
TheRangersFan
Lux
40 posters

The Atheist Thread

Anonymous

The Atheist Thread Empty The Atheist Thread

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:41 am

There is no God.

Discuss.

Actually a question I had on my GCSE RS paper, got an A* on that question - so ask away.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

The Atheist Thread Empty Re: The Atheist Thread

Post by Lux Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:50 am

It's most likely. There being a God is as likely as some flying Spaghetti monster existing and being the ultimate ruler (in fact the Spaghetti monster would actually exist and be real matter and not some invisible thing so it's probably more likely).

In the end saying "There is no God" like it's fact is pushing it when we can't prove it. It's perfectly logical and sane to assume there is no God because there's no real reason to believe that there is...except that there's such a slim chance that I could sit here for years typing 0.000000000000......and not get to a small enough chance.
    TheRangersFan
    TheRangersFan

Post by TheRangersFan Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:55 am

Proof of God:
    Bushido
    Bushido

Post by Bushido Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:04 am

It's more likely something we will never be able to comprehend and the fact that the Bible and religion is man made and an excuse to wage war, makes me not want to believe in 'The governments or high personals' so called 'God' but I find myself believing sometimes in something extraterrestrial or 'godly' when odd or perhaps 'godly' or 'coincidental' things happen when you pray ect.

Also if you are planning on pointing out the extraterrestrial part then answer me this, "What is the difference between believing in Aliens and a all powerful being that made us for his/her own amusement?" and no I don't believe in Scientology LOL.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 am

I'm agnostic.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 am

There is a god. His name is Brian Clough.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:51 am

Father Christmas is more plausible
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

The Atheist Thread Why_do_adam_and_eve_have_belly_buttons_smaller

Problem Christianity? The Atheist Thread 12784
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:08 am

The Atheist Thread Charles-darwin-the-origin-of-species-parcbench.com_

All you need to know about our species and existence.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Ryan wrote:I'm agnostic.

Isn't that a type of triangle?. Neutral

NeutralNeutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm

God doesn't exist. Period.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm

You're all going to Hell.

Jokes. laugh
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm

SBSP_FIFA wrote:You're all going to Hell.

Jokes. laugh

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Keep telling yourself that. Wink

Wait a second, WTF am I doing in this thread? Neutral
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Agnostic leaning towards atheism. Neutral
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:43 pm

God who?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:30 am

The argument of "if there is a God, why can't I see him" is flawed. Faith is based on believing something that you don't outright see. Life is also full of tests. Those tests would be irrelevant if everyone believed and everyone would be ranked the same without differentiation on their faith and actions.

And who said there isn't proof of God? There are several proofs of God around us, it's whether you believe in them or not that's the real question. It would be unfair of God to expect us to believe in him without any clues. God is not a human, so seeing him to believe is not the same as seeing another human to believe.

The thing is, I don't think atheists really care if there is proof or not. In the past, prophets performed miracles to people and some of them still disbelieved. Perhaps people don't want to believe because religion somewhat restricts their life, puts consequences on their actions, etc. Obviously it would be much easier and enjoyable to do whatever you want without any consequences of an afterlife.

From my experience with people asking of proof of God is that they will deny it and find any excuse to not see it as a proof. So what's the point of asking for something that you know you will object before you see it?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 am

In the past, prophets performed miracles to people and some of them still disbelieved.

Miracles like what? Neutral

Back to the thread, I don't believe in any god for various reasons, don't really care about those who do as long as they don't try to press it on me either. Just reallllly indifferent when it comes to religion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:42 am

Tbh, the reason I believe there is no God is because my Aunt gave birth to a stillborn child a couple of years ago. Now, even before then, I had my doubts over any existance, but always thought there might be something there. But, for something that small, that innocent to not be given the chance to live, to not even have had one breath, one second of life outside the womb for me is just the worst possible thing imaginable.

It made me wonder 'If there is a God, how could he/she deny something so innocent the chance of a life?'

Don't give me any of that 'Everything happens for a reason' bullshit I've heard so many times of Christians round here - because I see no good reason to deny that child a chance of life, my family the chance to know that little child and force the parents to bury one of their own children.

That, in itself proves to me that there is no all-loving, all-knowing Almighty up above us in the Sky - because no God would allow something like that to happen.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:06 am

dena wrote:
    In the past, prophets performed miracles to people and some of them still disbelieved.

Miracles like what? Neutral

Back to the thread, I don't believe in any god for various reasons, don't really care about those who do as long as they don't try to press it on me either. Just reallllly indifferent when it comes to religion.

I'm sure you have heard of at least one of the many miracles performed by prophets. Examples include splitting of the Red Sea, making inanimate objects talk, reviving people from the dead, splitting the moon and rejoining it, etc.

Dan wrote:Tbh, the reason I believe there is no God is because my Aunt gave birth to a stillborn child a couple of years ago. Now, even before then, I had my doubts over any existance, but always thought there might be something there. But, for something that small, that innocent to not be given the chance to live, to not even have had one breath, one second of life outside the womb for me is just the worst possible thing imaginable.

It made me wonder 'If there is a God, how could he/she deny something so innocent the chance of a life?'

Don't give me any of that 'Everything happens for a reason' bullshit I've heard so many times of Christians round here - because I see no good reason to deny that child a chance of life, my family the chance to know that little child and force the parents to bury one of their own children.

That, in itself proves to me that there is no all-loving, all-knowing Almighty up above us in the Sky - because no God would allow something like that to happen.

Well everything does happen for a reason. How do you know what life that child would have lived had he kept on living? What if that child became bad and caused his family more harm? And surely burying your child at an older age is much harder than burying him so young that you didn't have a chance to be attached to him. To be honest, I wish I died before living several years in this world. Besides the fact that I would go straight to heaven, I wouldn't have to live in this world full of hate, difficulty, etc. You are only looking at the negatives attached with an event. Have you thought to yourself that something happened for a good cause in the end? Let's say you miss your flight. Instead of saying why did God let me miss an important flight, why not ask yourself what if that plane crashed? It's impossible for us to see the reasoning for things until they develop.

The following is an Islamic response to your question...
    http://sites.google.com/site/muslimanswers/Home/god-is-merciful
    Barton

Post by Barton Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:19 am

I don't believe in god because of pure and simple logic, nothing at all adds up or makes sense in Christianity. There is literally a 99.999999999999% chance in there actually being some sort of god.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 am

JMB_94 wrote:I don't believe in god because of pure and simple logic, nothing at all adds up or makes sense in Christianity. There is literally a 99.999999999999% chance in there actually being some sort of god.

scratch
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:30 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Dan wrote:Tbh, the reason I believe there is no God is because my Aunt gave birth to a stillborn child a couple of years ago. Now, even before then, I had my doubts over any existance, but always thought there might be something there. But, for something that small, that innocent to not be given the chance to live, to not even have had one breath, one second of life outside the womb for me is just the worst possible thing imaginable.

Well everything does happen for a reason. How do you know what life that child would have lived had he kept on living? What if that child became bad and caused his family more harm? And surely burying your child at an older age is much harder than burying him so young that you didn't have a chance to be attached to him. To be honest, I wish I died before living several years in this world. Besides the fact that I would go straight to heaven, I wouldn't have to live in this world full of hate, difficulty, etc. You are only looking at the negatives attached with an event. Have you thought to yourself that something happened for a good cause in the end? Let's say you miss your flight. Instead of saying why did God let me miss an important flight, why not ask yourself what if that plane crashed? It's impossible for us to see the reasoning for things until they develop.

That's a pretty sick thing to say to justify your belief in God. Whether you believe that or not, it's pretty disrespectful to say it to him.

Anyway, I've found myself unknowingly becoming athiest. I've started seeing God etc on par with Father Christmas.

I realised this when a thought just popped up in my head thinking "Why do they believe in God, are they simple or just doing it for their kids?". It was in response to a program or something.

Humans are naturally power-hungry. You see it everywhere, not just in religion, people will make up positions of power just so they can fill them. It's just seems more logical that there is no god.

Take Scientology for example. A new "religion" which has gained a massive following. Once again, it's story can not be proven. And although it's story seems laughable, does it seem much more laughable than the other religions? I mean we've grown accustomed to the concept of "Angels" and such, so when you say "An angel (a flying person with feathery wings, and flames or a bright light around them, and a halo) visited Mary" or whatever, you think "Oh I've heard of an angel, it's plausible" but it's not. And it's not far from the concept of Aliens in Scientology.

Almost every religion has a person of high power and riches, who live the life of luxury, like the Pope etc. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 am

ahlycotc wrote:

No offence, but none of that washes with me. With Christianity, people are always given chances to prove themselves, to make right from wrong. That child never got the chance to do anything, let alone make the wrong decisions in life. And to me, regardless of what age they are, I can think of nothing worse, more painful than having to bury your own child. I was at the funeral, I saw my Uncle, my Aunt, my cousins completely and utterly unconsolable. They aren't the same, they never will be. A part of them is missing - the member of their family that never got the chance to join them. I will never be the same, I can't even think about that day without having to force back the tears. It's something I wouldn't wish on anybody - and how a God can allow that to happen proves to me that there is no all-loving being watching over us.

And, the example of you missing a plane is completely different to giving birth to a stillborn child. It's your fault you missed the plane, you are in control of your life. You have no control over the life of that child while it's in the womb, and to me, if there is a God - then every child would have a chance of life. In the eyes of Christians, all life is precious, all children are innocent - so there is no good reason at all, in my opinion, for that child to be denied a chance of life. And for a 'God' to allow that makes me believe there is nothing there at all.

It's my opinion, it's why I'm an atheist. And no offence, but there is nothing you can say that will change my mind.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am

I'm sure you have heard of at least one of the many miracles performed by prophets. Examples include splitting of the Red Sea, making inanimate objects talk, reviving people from the dead, splitting the moon and rejoining it, etc.

Splitting the moon? Never heard of that one, would also cause massive problems with the Earth's tidal err... structure (can't find the right word) would it not? And the splitting of the Red Sea is in the Bible, which I do not believe.
    Barton

Post by Barton Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 am

mac wrote:
    JMB_94 wrote:I don't believe in god because of pure and simple logic, nothing at all adds up or makes sense in Christianity. There is literally a 99.999999999999% chance in there actually being some sort of god.

scratch

I'm not basing that on satistics, it's just my estimate on the existence of god using logic. Neutral
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 am

ahlycotc wrote:The argument of "if there is a God, why can't I see him" is flawed. Faith is based on believing something that you don't outright see. Life is also full of tests. Those tests would be irrelevant if everyone believed and everyone would be ranked the same without differentiation on their faith and actions.

And who said there isn't proof of God? There are several proofs of God around us, it's whether you believe in them or not that's the real question. It would be unfair of God to expect us to believe in him without any clues. God is not a human, so seeing him to believe is not the same as seeing another human to believe.

The thing is, I don't think atheists really care if there is proof or not. In the past, prophets performed miracles to people and some of them still disbelieved. Perhaps people don't want to believe because religion somewhat restricts their life, puts consequences on their actions, etc. Obviously it would be much easier and enjoyable to do whatever you want without any consequences of an afterlife.

From my experience with people asking of proof of God is that they will deny it and find any excuse to not see it as a proof. So what's the point of asking for something that you know you will object before you see it?

Miracles? Unproven. Proof? No proof.......

I can write in a book that some sheep jumped off a mountain and then through a miracle grew magic wings and survived but that doesn't mean there is a God Laughing

What do you mean
    what's the point of asking for something that you know you will object before you see it?
    ........? Everything is the point with that? Why would you believe in something for no reason?

Atheists care if there is proof or not......I can guarantee you everyone cares about it....who wouldn't want to live an afterlife in paradise? The point isn't about wanting it or not.....the point is about whether it's real or not. There's no proof to show that this

In the past, prophets performed miracles to people and some of them still disbelieved. Perhaps people don't want to believe because religion somewhat restricts their life, puts consequences on their actions, etc. Obviously it would be much easier and enjoyable to do whatever you want without any consequences of an afterlife.

TBH I think it's more about religious people being gullible, having false hope and being scared of death. Obviously it's a lot easier to make yourself believe that when you die and your body rots you'll actually be up in Heaven with your hookers eating ice cream.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 am

posted in wrong thread -_-
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 am

dena wrote:posted in wrong thread -_-

Laughing I was just about to say
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 am

Luxz0rz wrote:TBH I think it's more about religious people being gullible, having false hope and being scared of death. Obviously it's a lot easier to make yourself believe that when you die and your body rots you'll actually be up in Heaven with your hookers eating ice cream.
    The ignorance there is overwhelming. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 pm