Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
Jorlung
Gegilworld93
The Dane
Coatsy
The Bat-Man
Pippo
Milano
menalawyerguy
Bye_Ya
Childish Logic
Theo Filippo
VivaRonaldoLAD
MickStupp
ResurrectionRooney
Mal
Jamie
blackskar
The Zlatan
El_indian
El Jefe
Zzonked
Jayx1012
masutora
Sean
dena
Cadbury
mac
Roloman4
SBSP
Barton
Jord
Ben
Cornholio
Bushido
TheRangersFan
Lux
40 posters

The Atheist Thread

Anonymous

The Atheist Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Atheist Thread

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

El_indian wrote:Is God a He or a She?
    I believe it has both a vagina and a penis.

God is indeed a shemale.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

If God doesn't exist, none of your questions and this whole discussion has no basis. It's one of the reasons I feel like it's a waste of my time discussing these matters with you. We have two fundamentally different perceptions, so we will never come to an agreement on anything on the matter. So here is a suggestion, let's stop talking about religion from now on.

No, I am asking a moral question of you, for the purposes of that one question, assume that God doesn't exist. After that, you can go back to assuming he does exist. When we are asking questions about God's morality, it is better that we do not include him as a factor.

I cannot answer your question because my beliefs are based on the assumption that God exists. Even if I leave out that assumption, I cannot properly answer the question of the morality of forcing someone to worship you. My views on what is moral and what is not is based on my religion. I cannot separate the two. Now, I'm not saying that non-religious people are inherently immoral. Just that non-religious people base their morals on something totally different than I do.

By the way, you are going to enter my ignore list soon. I just would rather avoid wasting my time discussing matters that will lead to no end result with you (which is 99% of our discussions). I also do not see much benefits, if any, from your posts, so it would be best if I just completely ignored them. I've tried to just ignore your posts without having you on ignore, but I have to admit it's very difficult to convince myself to not reply to your questions or comments.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

SBSP wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:I always considered modesty to be a virtue.
    Why do you have this conception that it's okay for you to be arrogant but not okay for anyone else?

Because he's a raving hypocrite. Any more questions?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:53 pm

polska. wrote:
    El_indian wrote:Is God a He or a She?
    I believe it has both a vagina and a penis.

God is indeed a shemale.

Which explains your fetish for trannies. Looks like you're a believer after all.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Embarassed
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:11 pm

ahlycotc wrote:

No, I am asking a moral question of you, for the purposes of that one question, assume that God doesn't exist. After that, you can go back to assuming he does exist. When we are asking questions about God's morality, it is better that we do not include him as a factor.

I cannot answer your question because my beliefs are based on the assumption that God exists. Even if I leave out that assumption, I cannot properly answer the question of the morality of forcing someone to worship you. My views on what is moral and what is not is based on my religion. I cannot separate the two. Now, I'm not saying that non-religious people are inherently immoral. Just that non-religious people base their morals on something totally different than I do.

By the way, you are going to enter my ignore list soon. I just would rather avoid wasting my time discussing matters that will lead to no end result with you (which is 99% of our discussions). I also do not see much benefits, if any, from your posts, so it would be best if I just completely ignored them. I've tried to just ignore your posts without having you on ignore, but I have to admit it's very difficult to convince myself to not reply to your questions or comments.

Then how can you judge God by moral standards, when the only moral standards that exist are the ones that he created? If I created a new system of morality, where everything I do is right, and everything everyone else does that suits my interest is great, then according to that system of morality, I would be a great man, the greatest in fact. But it wouldn't mean anything because it's not independent of me.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:27 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    polska. wrote:I believe it has both a vagina and a penis.

God is indeed a shemale.

Which explains your fetish for trannies. Looks like you're a believer after all.

Laughing

Seriously, the atheists should stop wasting their time on here trying to seem intelligent.

That wasn't an attack against atheists in general.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 am

Some people on here should just chill out, why argue so much about something when you know you won't even get anywhere?
    When everyone leaves this forum, the believers will still be believers, and the atheists will still be atheists, deal with it.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:23 am

Jay wrote:Some people on here should just chill out, why argue so much about something when you know you won't even get anywhere?
    When everyone leaves this forum, the believers will still be believers, and the atheists will still be atheists, deal with it.

Not necessarily, when I first joined a forum, all the way back in 2004 at the age of 13, I was highly religious, and came out with a lot of the same shit that I argue against now. Thanks largely to the arguments I read, the points that intelligent, rational people made on these forums, I wised up.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Post by El Jefe Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 am

Jay wrote:Some people on here should just chill out, why argue so much about something when you know you won't even get anywhere?

Not necessarily, when I first joined a forum, all the way back in 2004 at the age of 13, I was highly religious, and came out with a lot of the same shit that I argue against now. Thanks largely to the arguments I read, the points that intelligent, rational people made on these forums, I wised up.
    It's a bit different when you're 13 though, I'm referring to the more mature people who have had these same arguments with people before.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 am

They have never had the arguments with anyone as intelligent as me though.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Post by El Jefe Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:37 am

What's your job? I'm guessing it is something highly paid...
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 am

Jay wrote:What's your job? I'm guessing it is something highly paid...

I am a Seeker of the Ultimate Truth and Unveiler of Fact.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 am

I call bull-shit.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Post by El Jefe Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 am

Jay wrote:What's your job? I'm guessing it is something highly paid...

I am a Seeker of the Ultimate Truth and Unveiler of Fact.

The Atheist Thread - Page 17 2d0z4mc
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 am

This was me as well.

Growing up in a Polish-Latin household, I've had a religious childhood, I started to doubt religion around the same age, and observing one of these arguments like we have here really shown to me how ridiculous and idiotic religion is. Laughing

I'm not going to say I became an atheist because of forums, but I definitely went from skeptic to agnostic through them. I became Atheist after further reading (particularly Jared Diamond's books Collapse and Guns Germs and Steel, they really changed my view about how human societies worked) and as I aged into high school.
    The Dane
    The Dane

Post by The Dane Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Ahly, I have question which is purely because you seem to be very knowledgeable, but what would you do if there was no God? I want just an honest answer? like I admit, I don't believe in an afterlife, I envy religious people for doing so but I don't

But to set the storyline is that an alien race has revealed themselves to us and tell us there is no God, they created us as an experiment and are making contact with us now as we are ready and they are happy with the way we have developed.

Others are also more than welcome to post replies but this is a reaction i specifically want from Ahly, or other religious followers in this Forum! Surprised
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:30 pm

The Dane wrote:Ahly, I have question which is purely because you seem to be very knowledgeable, but what would you do if there was no God? I want just an honest answer? like I admit, I don't believe in an afterlife, I envy religious people for doing so but I don't

But to set the storyline is that an alien race has revealed themselves to us and tell us there is no God, they created us as an experiment and are making contact with us now as we are ready and they are happy with the way we have developed.

Others are also more than welcome to post replies but this is a reaction i specifically want from Ahly, or other religious followers in this Forum! Surprised

We already know what created humans, evolution, it doesn't change much for a lot of people. The majority religious people would just say 'God set these Aliens on a path which would create humans', 'So who created the Aliens' or 'You still can't prove there's no God'.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 pm

The Dane wrote:Ahly, I have question which is purely because you seem to be very knowledgeable, but what would you do if there was no God? I want just an honest answer? like I admit, I don't believe in an afterlife, I envy religious people for doing so but I don't

We already know what created humans, evolution, it doesn't change much for a lot of people.

Except there is not sufficient proof in the fossil record to demonstrate that we all share a common ancestral slug. Based on the admission of many prominent palaeontologists (even Darwin himself had to admit it), the fossil record has yet to yield a single example of one species morphing into another over time. Instead, what the fossil record shows is 3 billion years of nothing, a few hundred million years of slugs, worms and sponges, and them BAM! A massive explosion of complex organisms, nearly all the phyla known to us now just shat into existence over the span of no more than 10 million years. Many of those creatures have since become extinct. The ones that survived don't look that much different than they do today. They're all still the same species. So at this point, the theory that we came about through 4 billion years of gradual mutations with nature selecting the most fit mutations (That's another thing. We don't even have any examples of the bad mutations, of which there ought to be millions) eventually resulting in all the complex life forms we see on Earth today is just as dubious and faith-based as the theory that we were orchestrated by some higher form of intelligence.

Last edited by menalawyerguy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

So who created the aliens? Not to mention you still can't prove there is no God.
    The Dane
    The Dane

Post by The Dane Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Witcher im not arguing or pointing out, i was simply Asking the question WHAT WOULD YOU DO jeeeeez.

And Menalawyerguy, as for the 'bad mutations' you said it yourself
    A massive explosion of complex organisms, nearly all the phyla known to
    us now just shat into existence over the span of no more than 10 million
    years. Many of those creatures have since become extinct. The ones that
    survived don't look that much different than they do today.

They haven't survived, I not saying absolutely their lifeforms was inferior however, we must point out that they aren't here to this day...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Not bothered debating this shit, just copied off RR, JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZ.
    The Dane
    The Dane

Post by The Dane Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, I ask you then - What would you do if there was unquestionable proof if there was no God? Or if you are an atheist what would you do if there was unquestionable proof that there is a God?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:04 pm

The Dane wrote:Witcher im not arguing or pointing out, i was simply Asking the question WHAT WOULD YOU DO jeeeeez.

And Menalawyerguy, as for the 'bad mutations' you said it yourself
    A massive explosion of complex organisms, nearly all the phyla known to
    us now just shat into existence over the span of no more than 10 million
    years. Many of those creatures have since become extinct. The ones that
    survived don't look that much different than they do today.

They haven't survived, I not saying absolutely their lifeforms was inferior however, we must point out that they aren't here to this day...

A lot of them became extinct because of extinction events, such as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. That was not a genetic shortcoming, it was a disaster with a catastrophic impact on their environment. Usually, an extinction is the result of a drastic change in environmental conditions and available resources. Besides, from the point those animals started showing up in the fossil record until the time they became extinct, they remained unchanged at the species level. Species may develop varying traits and minor outword characteristics may change over time (e.g. finches developing longer beaks during drought times, and going back to shorter beaks during rainy times), but we haven't seen definitive proof that they change species.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm

facepalm Obviously it doesn't happen suddenly. It happens generation to generation.

I don't doubt species were able to evolve quickly after the first fish appeared.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

polska. wrote:The Atheist Thread - Page 17 58503 Obviously it doesn't happen suddenly. It happens generation to generation.

Exactly. It's not supposed to happen suddenly, but it did at the onset of the Cambrian period. All of a sudden (10 million years is extremely sudden in relative terms), hundreds of thousands of complex life forms burst onto the seen with no predecessors that we've been able to find. And since then, not much of anything. Nothing that compares to that 10 million year spurt, anyway. 3.5 billion years of blah; 10 million years of spastic evolution; and then right back to a snail's pace in terms of progress for the next 500 million years. Does that sound like the result of random chemical chance? Maybe it is but it doesn't seem to me at first glance.

Evolution is said to happen slowly over a long period of time, the result of gradual, numerous (countless) mutations. That means that we should be able to find millions of examples of transitional fossils. Between Neanderthal and human beings alone, there ought to be dozens. When you look and Neanderthal and homo sapien, you see a lot of similarities. But you see drastic differences as well. We obviously couldn't have gone from Neanderthal to homo sapiens in a few species. It would have taken dozens. Which is not to say that that exact thing didn't happen; we just haven't found the proof yet.

I don't doubt species were able to evolve quickly after the first fish appeared.

So 3.5 billions of nothing but dopey microbes and worms, followed by the sudden appearance of just about every phyla known to us today in the span of 10 million years, sounds about right to you?

Last edited by menalawyerguy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Uh...no-one seriously thinks that we went from Neanderthals to humans, do they?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Uh...no-one seriously thinks that we went from Neanderthals to humans, do they?

Not straight from one to the other, no. But many palaeontologists theorize they are our ancestors. How many species have we been able to find on the theorized track from Neanderthals and humans?

Last edited by menalawyerguy on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 pm

In theory, once life has a new area to conquer, it can flourish to adapt and make it's own niches in the environment. Evolution happens quickly when the environment changed. Us humans are an example of that, we went from (relatively) dumb primates to (relatively) smart humaniods almost at the snap of a finger as our environment, local climate and food supplies changed.

As for the Neanderthal-Homo Sapiens, Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens diverged off of each other from a common ancestor. We didn't evolve from Neanderthals.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:59 pm

polska. wrote:In theory, once life has a new area to conquer, it can flourish to adapt and make it's own niches in the environment. Evolution happens quickly when the environment changed. Us humans are an example of that, we went from (relatively) dumb primates to (relatively) smart humaniods almost at the snap of a finger as our environment, local climate and food supplies changed.

That's a good theory. And it might in fact be the case. But it hasn't been proven yet. We should be able to find transitional fossils almost side by side with the end-product since based on current technology, we can't reduce anything in the fossil record to a smaller window of 5 to 10 million years. So if all that evolution happens in such a quick span, we ought to find loads of transitional species (good and bad) right next to the end-product.

As for the Neanderthal-Homo Sapiens, Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens diverged off of each other from a common ancestor. We didn't evolve from Neanderthals.

That used to be the theory, until DNA testing proved it wrong. You can even look at what are proposed to be our most immediate ancestors: again, lots of similarities, but lots of drastic differences too. That's the thing: it seems that every time science advances or the fossil record expands, the theory of evolution has to change. Which is fine; that's how science is supposed to work. But let's stop acting like it's irrefutable fact. It's refuted almost every other decade.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:01 am