Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Glen Miller
The Zlatan
The_Quilo
Andy
VivaRonaldoLAD
Dean
Jordi
LeBron
MickStupp
Zzonked
Sean
Totti
Kuled
GK01
Theo Filippo
ResurrectionRooney
SBSP
dena
Jorlung
El_indian
CollieBuddz
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Gegilworld93
Mal
29 posters

The Atheist Thread

Anonymous

The Atheist Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Atheist Thread

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:16 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:If you were cryogenically frozen you'd effectively be dead, does that mean you'd go to heaven or hell? Ahly? Sean?

Death is when the soul leaves the body. So you technically wouldn't be dead.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:If you were cryogenically frozen you'd effectively be dead, does that mean you'd go to heaven or hell? Ahly? Sean?

Purgatory.

Nah, I havent a fucking clue Laughing
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:17 am

ahlycotc wrote:

When does the soul leave the body?
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:18 am

Come on now, let's get our fucking thinking caps screwed on for a minute here. Of course no one knows what its like. You're dead, you can't test anything if you're not alive. Laughing I personally think its just like sleeping or being knocked unconsius or maybe a coma. But that could be up for debate.

And to say you can't test, I'd say is quite premature. What about people who've died and then been revived? Heart stopped, brain stopped and then have woken up and brought back to life.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:19 am

What about if someone is cryogenically frozen on a space ship, but then they get jetissoned and just left in the freezing cold of deep space for eternity? When do they go to heaven?
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:20 am

Or even RR's theory. Or even being on a life support machine. Because techincally, it's the machine that keeps you 'alive'.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

When does the soul leave the body?

I don't know. Whenever God decides to take your soul away.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 am

So what about my deep space scenario? When do you think it would go, the soul, if ever?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:So what about my deep space scenario? When do you think it would go, the soul, if ever?

Well one day, the universe will be destroyed. So it doesn't matter when you "die" or not. Judgement Day starts at the same time for everyone. And that time is after everything that was created has been destroyed in this universe. The "gates" of Heaven and Hell don't open until Judgement Day is over.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:So what about my deep space scenario? When do you think it would go, the soul, if ever?

Well one day, the universe will be destroyed. So it doesn't matter when you "die" or not. Judgement Day starts at the same time for everyone. And that time is after everything that was created has been destroyed in this universe. The "gates" of Heaven and Hell don't open until Judgement Day is over.

If they dont open, what about people who are dead now?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:29 am

Sean wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

Barzakh (Arabic: برزخ), a term that appears in the Qur'an Surah 23, Ayat 100, is the intermediate state in which the soul of the deceased is transferred across the boundaries of the mortal realm into a kind of "cold sleep" where the soul will rest until the Qiyamah (Judgement Day). This concept corresponds to that of soul sleep, not to that of purgatory.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am

Being dead is the same as before you were born.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:35 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Sean wrote:

Barzakh (Arabic: برزخ), a term that appears in the Qur'an Surah 23, Ayat 100, is the intermediate state in which the soul of the deceased is transferred across the boundaries of the mortal realm into a kind of "cold sleep" where the soul will rest until the Qiyamah (Judgement Day). This concept corresponds to that of soul sleep, not to that of purgatory.
    So basically in Islam it states that when you die, you are dead. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

So basically in Islam it states that when you die, you are dead. Neutral

In the sense that nothing really happens until Judgement Day.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 am

I guess people have came back from the dead before in ancient times as well, so religion had to find a loop around it.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 am

I've been thinking about death and it must be related to concepts time if you think about it.

For the individual, time is only there because we observe it, so when we're not there to observe it time doesn't exist for us anymore. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically I'm thinking that everyone lives their own forever.

Then the other thing is questions about whether time is linear and once it's done it's done. I don't know much about theories surrounding it, but I don't think there is a conclusive answer yet? Which could mean that time repeats itself, so we just live the same life over and over.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I guess people have came back from the dead before in ancient times as well, so religion had to find a loop around it.

Errr....ok.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

Zzonked wrote:I've been thinking about death and it must be related to concepts time if you think about it.

For the individual, time is only there because we observe it, so when we're not there to observe it time doesn't exist for us anymore. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically I'm thinking that everyone lives their own forever.

Then the other thing is questions about whether time is linear and once it's done it's done. I don't know much about theories surrounding it, but I don't think there is a conclusive answer yet? Which could mean that time repeats itself, so we just live the same life over and over.
    Not to mention the whole "Time is slower near black holes".
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:I've been thinking about death and it must be related to concepts time if you think about it.

Not to mention the whole "Time is slower near black holes".

I know very little about the theories on black holes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 am

Time is all relative anyways. Technically an astronaut on the International Space Station is aging at a slower rate than people on Earth.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 am

Zzonked wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:Not to mention the whole "Time is slower near black holes".

I know very little about the theories on black holes.
    You and the scientists both.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 am

Imagine if time is circular and you wasted your life, you'd actually be wasting infinite amount of lives. taxi
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:54 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Does it say in the Koran that the whole universe will be destroyed? What if he is in another star system? Or another galaxy?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Does it say in the Koran that the whole universe will be destroyed? What if he is in another star system? Or another galaxy?

Do you know what a universe is?
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 am

People dont die. You just move on to start a different life. Discuss.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Viva Ronaldo 7 wrote:People dont die. You just move on to start a different life. Discuss.

I'm pretty sure that people die, otherwise we've buried a lot of living people. What a Face
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Viva Ronaldo 7 wrote:People dont die. You just move on to start a different life. Discuss.
    Things die. End discussion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:58 am

If by that you mean 'souls', welcome to Hinduism.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Yes, I am asking if the Koran says that the whole universe will be destroyed. If it does not, could one escape judgement by going to Alpha Centauri or Andromeda?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Yes, I am asking if the Koran says that the whole universe will be destroyed. If it does not, could one escape judgement by going to Alpha Centauri or Andromeda?

Yes it does. So it doesn't matter where you go inside the universe, you will be destroyed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:52 pm