Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Glen Miller
The Zlatan
The_Quilo
Andy
VivaRonaldoLAD
Dean
Jordi
LeBron
MickStupp
Zzonked
Sean
Totti
Kuled
GK01
Theo Filippo
ResurrectionRooney
SBSP
dena
Jorlung
El_indian
CollieBuddz
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Gegilworld93
Mal
29 posters

The Atheist Thread

Sean

The Atheist Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The Atheist Thread

Post by Sean Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39 am

Whats your own beliefs Eternal, if you dont mind me asking?
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39 am

Sean wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:Become agnostic and just enjoy your life. Smile

Ah, if t'were that easy What a Face

It is, you'll find there's far less decisions that will condemn you for eternity when you don't follow any of the religions out there. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:Debatable, but you can't really examine such immaterial things. I'm still hoping a moment of realization will come upon me someday. Realisation of God, not the opposite.

Don't want to cause offence or anything, so apologies like.

But I've heard a couple of people say this in the past, I've always wondered why?
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 am

Zzonked wrote:
    Sean wrote:

Ah, if t'were that easy What a Face

It is, you'll find there's far less decisions that will condemn you for eternity when you don't follow any of the religions out there. Laughing

Yea. I'd say 90% of my faith is based on fear/Pascal's wager. Not a very strong reason for following something I guess.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am

If it helps Sean, I take comfort in knowing that if a God does exists, then I am not to blame for my lack of faith, God is.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 am

Sean wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Yea. I'd say 90% of my faith is based on fear/Pascal's wager. Not a very strong reason for following something I guess.

It's how it gained popularity tbh. You aren't alone in fairness.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:If it helps Sean, I take comfort in knowing that if a God does exists, then I am not to blame for my lack of faith, God is.

Tbh, I take comfort in the fact I wouldn't want to be associated with a God that allows such evil to happen to his 'creation'.

Again, no offence to anyone, it's my opinion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

Sean wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Learned about this in school recently so I can totally see where you are coming from and I suppose, I sort of agree with it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:51 am

Dan wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:If it helps Sean, I take comfort in knowing that if a God does exists, then I am not to blame for my lack of faith, God is.

Tbh, I take comfort in the fact I wouldn't want to be associated with a God that allows such evil to happen to his 'creation'.

Meh. Free will. God doesn't control man, he only knows what they will do. (which is a contradiction with free will, but whatever, not the time for said discussion)

Natural Disasters however.....

Anyway, I meant more on the logical point of view. God if he exists, has given me my brain and knowledge and how am I to blame if I used them to determine that he doesn't exist?
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Post by Jorlung Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 am

Sean wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

More or less how I feel about religion too.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

Dan wrote:

I heard a good quote about that (paraphrased)

Is there such a thing as cold? No there is not, cold is just a term we give to the sensation of a lack of heat

Is there such a thing as darkness? No, darkness is just what we term the absence of light

Is there such a thing as immorality? No, we just judge immoral acts against our perceptions of what is moral, same with injustice.

Surely that means we can not judge a God as evil or good? Something finite, is Evil then not just an absence of good, that which results in the rejection of good, (whether 'Godly'good or not)

God gives us free will, the choice between good and to reject good

Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    Dan wrote:

Meh. Free will. God doesn't control man, he only knows what they will do. (which is a contradiction with free will, but whatever, not the time for said discussion)

Natural Disasters however.....

Anyway, I meant more on the logical point of view. God if he exists, has given me my brain and knowledge and how am I to blame if I used them to determine that he doesn't exist?

That's more of what I mean, things beyond the control of people.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am

Just realized the guy who made "Pascal's Triangle" is the same guy who made "Pascal's Wager." No clue how I didn't put the pieces together tbh... Suppose a religious philosophy and math aren't something I'd think one person to specialize in.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am

Sean wrote:Whats your own beliefs Eternal, if you dont mind me asking?

I believe the God of the Old Testament is often falsely portrayed, and much of the Old Testament is myth. I do however believe in the incarnation. There must be a God out there, and there's a whole load of bull-shit to wade through before I can find the truth.

Can't be arsed as of now really. Hopefully I won't die too soon.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

Sean wrote:
    Dan wrote:

I heard a good quote about that (paraphrased)

Is there such a thing as cold? No there is not, cold is just a term we give to the sensation of a lack of heat

Is there such a thing as darkness? No, darkness is just what we term the absence of light

Is there such a thing as immorality? No, we just judge immoral acts against our perceptions of what is moral, same with injustice.

Surely that means we can not judge a God as evil or good? Something finite, is Evil then not just an absence of good, that which results in the rejection of good, (whether 'Godly'good or not)

God gives us free will, the choice between good and to reject good

Should've explained myself better. I meant things out of the control of humans.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

Dan wrote:
    Eternal Witcher wrote:Debatable, but you can't really examine such immaterial things. I'm still hoping a moment of realization will come upon me someday. Realisation of God, not the opposite.

Don't want to cause offence or anything, so apologies like.

But I've heard a couple of people say this in the past, I've always wondered why?

Confusing. I want to know God, what I don't want to realise is that we live our lives to die, be extinguished, lose everything.If you have led a great life, great, you won't be there to remember it.

Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:
    Sean wrote:Whats your own beliefs Eternal, if you dont mind me asking?

I believe the God of the Old Testament is often falsely portrayed, and much of the Old Testament is myth. I do however believe in the incarnation. There must be a God out there, and there's a whole load of bull-shit to wade through before I can find the truth.
    Well to be honest. I think the Old Testament is mostly supposed to taken with a grain of salt. You're supposed to take it metaphorically.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

Plus the New Testament has been fucked with so much, even if Jesus was here and did teach, what those original messages where is anybody's guess.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 am

Like I said, there's truth, but sure is fucking hard to find.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 am

Jorlung wrote:
    Eternal Witcher wrote:

Well to be honest. I think the Old Testament is mostly supposed to taken with a grain of salt. You're supposed to take it metaphorically.

A grain of salt is putting it mildly. Mischief
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 am

"Granting the existence of God, a house dedicated to Him naturally follows. He is all-important; it is fit that man should take notice of Him. But why praise and flatter Him for His unspeakable cruelties? Why forget so supinely His failures to remedy the easily remediable? Why indeed devote the churches exclusively to worship? Why not give them over, now and then, to justifiable indignation meetings? If God can hear a petition, there is no ground for holding that He would not hear a complaint. It might, indeed, please Him to find His creatures grown so self-reliant and reflective....Why hold that the God who can understand and forgive even treason could not understand and forgive remonstrance? "
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:
    Jorlung wrote:Well to be honest. I think the Old Testament is mostly supposed to taken with a grain of salt. You're supposed to take it metaphorically.

A grain of salt is putting it mildly. The Atheist Thread - Page 11 784961
    Not exactly. It means take it as if it is not entirely true, or not meant to be literal. It can be used in both contexts like to take something lightly, but that's not what I mean,
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Jordo wrote:"Granting the existence of God, a house dedicated to Him naturally follows. He is all-important; it is fit that man should take notice of Him. But why praise and flatter Him for His unspeakable cruelties? Why forget so supinely His failures to remedy the easily remediable? Why indeed devote the churches exclusively to worship? Why not give them over, now and then, to justifiable indignation meetings? If God can hear a petition, there is no ground for holding that He would not hear a complaint. It might, indeed, please Him to find His creatures grown so self-reliant and reflective....Why hold that the God who can understand and forgive even treason could not understand and forgive remonstrance? "
    Because God does not exist. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:00 pm

The Atheist Thread - Page 11 3925848005
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am

Seriously though, religion was there to control the masses. It wasn't meant to be dissected by intelligent minds.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 am

Oh?
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 am

We're all just living organisms. Things on the earth, same as everything else. We're kept alive and controlled by our brains, that's key to all life form. Once your brain is damaged, stops. That's it, you're gone. You won't feel anything, you won't exist. End of story. Finito. Goodbye Vienna. Bye.

I just will not accept, you die and live on, it's beyond the realms of realism. Just like me flying out of my window now and going the shop for a loaf of bred is. It's not possible.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 am

You can actually test to see if you can fly out a window or not. There are no experiments to test what happens after death.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 am

ahlycotc wrote:You can actually test to see if you can fly out a window or not. There are no experiments to test what happens after death.

Well theres one..
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:15 am

If you were cryogenically frozen you'd effectively be dead, does that mean you'd go to heaven or hell? Ahly? Sean?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 pm