Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
BigJ0526
Kelloggg8
Grenade
ricky//habana
Laurencio
Sean
Jeff
Barton
Zzonked
LFC_Grunners
Uncle John from Jamaica
Mario
Gegilworld93
17 posters

English football players of Asian descent

Anonymous

English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 Empty Re: English football players of Asian descent

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:54 am

Of course. Laughing

I meant more on the lines of in the general public consciousness?
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 Empty Re: English football players of Asian descent

Post by LFC_Grunners Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 am

From experience I wouldn't say that it was, tbf Britain as a whole isn't racist (There are exceptions of course)....but more anti any other culture. I don't think people have a problem with different races as long as they lead a "British" lifestyle hence why there is so much hate towards South Asian muslims.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 am

You know, I hate to say this but I get a feeling that one of the major reason there aren't too many Asians playing football is because England is overlooking the Asian player. I don't buy the, "they are all playing cricket" or the "they all suck" line.
    ricky//habana
    ricky//habana

Supports : DFA79

Post by ricky//habana Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 am

Big_Lad_Taylor wrote:
    JMB_94 wrote:

Antiguan descent. He's not African mate. Laughing
    I would disagree. All black men are from Africa originally..

Everyone's from africa originally. Place in africa called the cradle of humankind is where the earliest human bones were found.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 am

My school had a partnership with Bradford City FC and we used to go there twice a month for P.E. Anyway they had quite a few in their youth ranks. I'm assuming they didn't make or are just really shit because none of them are on FM12 Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 am

ricky//habana wrote:
    Big_Lad_Taylor wrote:
    I would disagree. All black men are from Africa originally..

Everyone's from africa originally. Place in africa called the cradle of humankind is where the earliest human bones were found.
    Irrelevant.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Ché Guayaba wrote:You know, I hate to say this but I get a feeling that one of the major reason there aren't too many Asians playing football is because England is overlooking the Asian player. I don't buy the, "they are all playing cricket" or the "they all suck" line.

Not meaning to generalise, but there are a lot of Asian families that appreciate education over sporting ability. There were a couple of kids that stopped playing football for us because they weren't getting the grades they 'should' have been.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Liverpool have been giving trails to Asian lads recently.

Irrelevant like.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Once I make it.
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:22 pm

polska. wrote:Surprised nobody's mentioned Younghusband yet.

Ché Guayaba wrote:I don't think it's a strange thread. I'm not sure but I think England has a large Asian and Middle Eastern population, it's a bit weird that there are not too many English footballers of Asian or Middle Easter descent playing football.

It's funny because in other countries it's the opposite. Honduras has a small Black population, I think around 2% but nearly their entire national team is made up of Afro-Hondurans. Laughing

Ecuador too. I've always thought the population of Ecuador was fairly white and Amerindian/Mestizo (And checking Wiki, only 3% of the pop is Afro-Ecuadorian) but the whole team is black. Laughing

Sometimes I think it's a load of crockshit. Surely they have a lot more black people than that.

Thinking logically anyway...

Last edited by QwertyKirby on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Jordo wrote:Liverpool have been giving trails to Asian lads recently.

Irrelevant like.

Where do these trails lead?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Cam wrote:
    Jordo wrote:Liverpool have been giving trails to Asian lads recently.

Irrelevant like.

Where do these trails lead?
    English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 207657
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Come to think about it, there aren't a lot of Asian-Americans playing in MLS either. Not to stereotype, but most Asian parents would rather have a smart child than a athletic one.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 pm

There are certain people at the top of English football who make it very very difficult for ethnic minorities.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:42 pm

They're all shit at football, there are two ice creams in my school and they're both crap.

EDIT: c.h.i.n.k.s = ice cream? Seriously?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 am

Certain fans make it difficult as well by using ethnic slurs such as "Paki", "Chink",and "Negro" or "Negrito" to refer to players from minorities.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:33 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Certain fans make it difficult as well by using ethnic slurs such as "Paki", "Chink",and "Negro" or "Negrito" to refer to players from minorities.
    The cultural insensitivity in this forum always makes me facepalm.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 am

Che you have to agree though, negrito isn't racist. Mad
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am

polska. wrote:Che you have to agree though, negrito isn't racist. English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 73365

Only in Latin America English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 279869
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:You know, I hate to say this but I get a feeling that one of the major reason there aren't too many Asians playing football is because England is overlooking the Asian player. I don't buy the, "they are all playing cricket" or the "they all suck" line.

Could be that the population just isn't big enough to support it, Asians don't really play football in the US either (from what I've seen) but the high population of people from Asian descent mean that eventually through the law of averages that they'll pop up once in a while, like Lee Nguyen did a while back.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 am

grenade187 wrote:
    polska. wrote:Che you have to agree though, negrito isn't racist. English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 73365

Only in Latin America English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 279869
    Considering the language spoken is Spanish, yes, Latin America. Neutral
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 am

In Switzerland it's kind of similar, the Asian population here consists mainly of Tamils, Tibetans, Vietnamese and also some Thais/Japanese and Indians/Pakistanis and hardly any of them are playing football. Another thing I've noticed is that there are lots of Spanish and Portuguese people living in Switzerland and I don't think there was ever a Swiss international with origins of said countries. Shame, a bit of tiki-taka flair footballers could greatly improve our NT. English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 537999
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:41 am

Jay wrote:They're all shit at football, there are two ice creams in my school and they're both crap.

EDIT: c.h.i.n.k.s = ice cream? Seriously?

Japan and South Korean national teams beg to differ. East Asian teams are pretty good because football is somewhat popular there and they have the money and resources. Both did pretty well at the 2010 World Cup, especially Japan. For the women's world cup, Japan actually won by defeating the U.S.

Also, like RR and Che mentioned, the use of ethnic slurs on this forum like its the norm is pathetic. Dry Smile
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:48 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:In Switzerland it's kind of similar, the Asian population here consists mainly of Tamils, Tibetans, Vietnamese and also some Thais/Japanese and Indians/Pakistanis and hardly any of them are playing football. Another thing I've noticed is that there are lots of Spanish and Portuguese people living in Switzerland and I don't think there was ever a Swiss international with origins of said countries. Shame, a bit of tiki-taka flair footballers could greatly improve our NT. English football players of Asian descent - Page 2 537999

In my opinion, most of it comes down to interest and the cultural pressure from parents and family to focus on academics. Of course, the prejudice doesn't help. I'm sure if a British Asian player made it big in the premier league in the near future, you would hear the common ethnic slur for Asians thrown around quite a bit by opposing team's fans and possibly even the team's own fans when the player performed poorly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:50 pm