Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Zzonked
Eriksen
Ra's al Ghul
PippOFC
Mason19294828838822
9 posters

Why do so few English players play abroad?

Mason19294828838822
    Mason19294828838822

Supports : Coventry City

Why do so few English players play abroad? Empty Why do so few English players play abroad?

Post by Mason19294828838822 Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:08 am

Why it is that so few feature in top leagues? I can only assume it's down to fear, uncertainty, comfort, money, family, personal ties, agents, language troubles, inability to blend in abroad, etc.

I can only think of two English players who play abroad (apart from the MLS) Eric Dier at Sporting and Michael Mancienne at Hamburg.
    PippOFC
    PippOFC

Supports : OFC

Why do so few English players play abroad? Empty Re: Why do so few English players play abroad?

Post by PippOFC Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 am

There's quite a few English players that play abroad. The Iceland league, Australian league and Thai league home a few of them. Here's a list of whom I can think of off the top of my head:

Emile Heskey, Michael Bridges (AUS), Ian Jeffs, Sam Tillen (ICE), Michael Higdon (NED), Rohan Ricketts, Jay Simpson, Jay Bothroyd (THAI), Sam Burfoot, Adam Dickinson, John Irving, Darren White (NZ), James Keene (ISR), Kenny Pavey (SWE), Nigel Reo-Coker USA, Adam Eckersley (DEN)

There's also been English players playing in Norway, Montserrat, Liberia, Nigeria, Finland and Ghana that I know of.

There's a few English managers coaching overseas as well. Gary White of Guam and Bob Houghton who was last with Maldives spring to mind.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Why do so few English players play abroad? Empty Re: Why do so few English players play abroad?

Post by Ra's al Ghul Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:18 am

Because they can get paid more in England.
    Eriksen
    Eriksen

Post by Eriksen Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am

Laziness to learn a language, theyre also more prone to homesickness because of the culture in England of being so easy for youth
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Why would you leave the best league on the planet when it's also your home league?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 am

The English don't tend to move abroad generally, we tend not to speak foreign languages, we have no land borders with real foreign countries bar Ireland, who have about 15 different sports and a tiny population.  When you have an extremely well paying League which massively over-rates domestic players and more well paying clubs at lower levels than anywhere else in the world there's very little reason to go abroad.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:The English don't tend to move abroad generally, we tend not to speak foreign languages, we have no land borders with real foreign countries bar Ireland, who have about 15 different sports and a tiny population.  When you have an extremely well paying League which massively over-rates domestic players and more well paying clubs at lower levels than anywhere else in the world there's very little reason to go abroad.

dat weather tho
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:05 am

Scott_LFC wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:The English don't tend to move abroad generally, we tend not to speak foreign languages, we have no land borders with real foreign countries bar Ireland, who have about 15 different sports and a tiny population.  When you have an extremely well paying League which massively over-rates domestic players and more well paying clubs at lower levels than anywhere else in the world there's very little reason to go abroad.

dat weather tho

Good in the short term, but most English people's skin ends up totally fucked if they live in hot countries for an extended time.  Reckon you'd get used to it anyway.  Besides, if you're living in a hot country already, where do you go for a holiday?
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Scott_LFC wrote:

dat weather tho

Good in the short term, but most English people's skin ends up totally fucked if they live in hot countries for an extended time.  Reckon you'd get used to it anyway.  Besides, if you're living in a hot country already, where do you go for a holiday?
    Can confirm, I get sunburned if I even stand near a window with my shirt off, flaunting my muscles, during the summer.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Why leave a country that has four tiers of professional football?  So many opportunities exist in England when compared to  other nations and if you include the rest of the UK and ROI things are almost endless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:11 pm