Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
The Bat-Man
Laurencio
ResurrectionRooney
SBSP
8 posters

Sherlock

SBSP
    SBSP

Sherlock - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock

Post by SBSP Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Sherlock - Page 2 Untitl31

Best villain ever.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Batiatus was slightly better. shifty
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 am

I don't know who that is, so he doesn't count.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 am

Should have ended it with Watson walking away rather than an incredible survival story.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 am

Then we don't get another season son. Just like with 'The Final Problem', Sherlock is too great an icon to just kill off. Plus its a nice cliffhanger to end the season. Admittedly last season's cliff-hanger didn't have much pay-off.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

SBSP wrote:I don't know who that is, so he doesn't count.

Sherlock - Page 2 Batiatus

Guess you're too young.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 am

Spoiler:
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 am

We would have missed Freeman and Bumberbatch's terrific acting.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

That too.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:Then we don't get another season son. Just like with 'The Final Problem', Sherlock is too great an icon to just kill off. Plus its a nice cliffhanger to end the season. Admittedly last season's cliff-hanger didn't have much pay-off.

Sometimes you can go on too long though, you have to know when to end it, you can't just have the main character going on indefinitely because the quality eventually deteriorates. It's like House, the should have ended that ages ago but instead they keep going on and on churning out ever declining episodes, the same happened with Doctor Who in 1984, and again in 2010. Once you hit your peak, you should stop, not plunge down, moreover when you have an ending where the main character ostensibly dies, you shouldn't resurrect him, it cheapens the moment.

Why not go out with 5/6 superb episodes after two seasons instead of waiting until the network cancels you? Always leave them wanting more.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:46 am

Third season should definitely be the last. I'd be incredibly surprised and annoyed if they decided to make more.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Eternal Witcher wrote:Then we don't get another season son. Just like with 'The Final Problem', Sherlock is too great an icon to just kill off. Plus its a nice cliffhanger to end the season. Admittedly last season's cliff-hanger didn't have much pay-off.

Sometimes you can go on too long though, you have to know when to end it, you can't just have the main character going on indefinitely because the quality eventually deteriorates. It's like House, the should have ended that ages ago but instead they keep going on and on churning out ever declining episodes, the same happened with Doctor Who in 1984, and again in 2010. Once you hit your peak, you should stop, not plunge down, moreover when you have an ending where the main character ostensibly dies, you shouldn't resurrect him, it cheapens the moment.

Why not go out with 5/6 superb episodes after two seasons instead of waiting until the network cancels you? Always leave them wanting more.

But then the protagonist would have been defeated. Nothing satisfying about that. Don't think there's much wrong with the last shot of the episode. They could still end the series here and it would be equally good.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 am

They've already announced a third season. I think it would be too much to end it right there. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:52 am

SBSP wrote:They've already announced a third season. I think it would be too much to end it right there. Laughing

Could have worked. There's nothing wrong with a cryptic ending. Gives you something to think about rather than take it all for granted. I'm frankly thankful that they've announced that there will be a third season. Really enjoyed it and will look forward to whatever they present in the future.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

BladeGunner wrote:

But then the protagonist would have been defeated. Nothing satisfying about that. Don't think there's much wrong with the last shot of the episode. They could still end the series here and it would be equally good.

Such an ending is far more powerful than an unlikely resurrection.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

I agree with you, we were given every reason to think that Sherlock was dead, after a terrific final showdown. The moment of realisation, the 'suicide note', Watson's break down, everything came off as a series finale. Sherlock's explanation for his survival and keeping Watson in the dark will be momentous for how the viewers can take the show seriously. Four seasons at most, or it goes the way of House and Dexter. I still think it can manage three seasons comfortably, look at Torchwood's first three. It helps that the two stars are even breaking into Hollywood and will ensure big ratings.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Well, seeing as the episodes are usually based on the books I don't why they'd only stop after 6.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 pm

In fairness, they are only mirroring Conan Doyle's own actions regarding Sherlock's 'death'.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I think you mean Guy Ritchie, and it was a bad decision.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I think you mean Guy Ritchie, and it was a bad decision.

What the fuck are you talking about?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Spoilers for Guy Ritchie's latest film

Spoiler:
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 pm

rofl

What does that have to do with this? Did you think the BBC series was based on the Guy Ritchie films?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Spoilers for Guy Ritchie's latest film

Spoiler:

The series isn't based on Guy Ritchie's films though. Suspect
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I think you mean Guy Ritchie, and it was a bad decision.

I'm talking about when Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock together with Moriarty in The Final Problem, but resurrected him after fans' complaint.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Eternal Witcher wrote:

I'm talking about when Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock together with Moriarty in The Final Problem, but resurrected him after fans' complaint.

The Final Problem didn't end with Sherlock alive though, if they'd done it properly, released a new series called 'Sherlock Returns' in a few years or something, that wouldn't have been better, rather than copying the crowd-pleasing bullshit in Game of Shadows.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Game of Shadows is shit, stupid Hollywood factor.

Not really that bad, but my opinion stands.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

BladeGunner wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:Spoilers for Guy Ritchie's latest film

Spoiler:

The series isn't based on Guy Ritchie's films though. Suspect

Alright then, it's just a coincidence that both series have come out after a Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes film. Where did Game of Shadows end? The Reichenbach Falls. What was the title of the final Sherlock episode? The Reichenbach Fall. I can't believe you haven't worked this out.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Eternal Witcher wrote:Game of Shadows is shit, stupid Hollywood factor.

Not really that bad, but my opinion stands.

I thought it very enjoyable, although the first one was better, and that old ginger fellow didn't make as good a Moriarty as the Irishman in Moffat's adaptation.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

And where did The Final Problem end? Mischief
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 pm

They started the filming of the TV series in Jan 2009. The film came out in Dec 2009. Plus they're miles apart, the film is set back in the 19th century, the TV series is modern day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm