Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Gegilworld93
Carlos Jenkinson
VivaRonaldoLAD
Grenade
ResurrectionRooney
9 posters

Was Beckham played out of position?

Anonymous

Was Beckham played out of position? Empty Was Beckham played out of position?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:13 pm

MOST of the time he was played out on the right wing/right midfield. Was he wasted out there? Considering he had no pace and couldn't get past a man. Would he have been even more effective in the centre of midfield, he knows what he is doing with the ball and he was/is? a committed hard worker (not seen him play in Yankland)

I do realise he has played in the middle before, but no where near as much as he could or maybe should have.

No need for a poll before anyone mentions it. Was Beckham played out of position? 232912
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Was Beckham played out of position? Empty Re: Was Beckham played out of position?

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 pm

He was fantastically effective on the wing for both England and United. Arguably the best player in Europe in 1999. He was good in CM, true, but when he was at his best he was competing with Scholes and Keane at club level, and even if he was better in CM, Scholes or Keane would have been a far greater loss to CM.
    Anonymous

Was Beckham played out of position? Empty Re: Was Beckham played out of position?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm

He did not need to always beat a man with pace on the wing, he could still whip in some world class crossing. He could have played in central midfield but with crossing like he had it would have taken the best part of his game away playing him in central midfield.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Thought I was on ignore Al? I'm sure Xabi Alonso can put in a wicked cross as well but that doesn't mean he should be played on the wing.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Had no pace? Beckham wasn't a slow player through his 20's by any means.

His crossing was too good to play him anywhere else although he was and still is a very hard worker and a world class passer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:57 pm

James wrote:Thought I was on ignore Al? I'm sure Xabi Alonso can put in a wicked cross as well but that doesn't mean he should be played on the wing.

I would miss you james, and i think the fact that Beckham did play on the wing and did put in some great performances and did play in succesful teams proves the point, that he was not wasted on the wing. And Alonso and Beckham are also different types of players, i would say Beckham had more pace than Alonso and other attributes that meant he would be better playing on the wing in what Alonso would have been.But i think a people who knew a thing or two about football would have realised this.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 pm

I think he was more useful on the wing than in the middle. Its not that he wasn't good in the middle, but during his peak he was one of the best wingers in the world at the time.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:09 pm

a club like man u cant attend to the needs of just 1 player except maybe ronaldo but what i mean is that even if beckham has qualities to play in central there was no need for this because already there was ready players to play there

plus also, u can extract the most of his qualities of early diagonals from wider areas and man u benefit from this all the time and usually england also
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Nah that crossing had to be out wide, provided sooo many goals, especially with Keane and Scholes holding down CM spots.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 pm

If he was at his peak now he'd be playing in the centre. I guess at the time of rigid 4-4-2's in England he was great on the wing.

And my point about Alonso wasn't comparing them (although I think Beckham could have played a similar role even if he's a little more mobile that Alonso) it was just in reply to Al focusing on crossing only.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:54 am

in the late 90s he did sometimes play that xabi alonso role, getting the ball in CM and spreading it all over the pitch, but yeah as others mentioned, he was way more effective on the right.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:01 am

He had pace, that's like saying Figo didn't scratch
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 am

AM
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 am

The guy Rangers have on trial, Holy Fuck! eek

El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:35 am

10/10 for relevance there Jela.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Beckham wasnt slow and he could beat players if he wanted to, he showed that you could a few times, he just wasnt that kind of player.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Jela facepalm
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 pm

SuperManUtd wrote:Beckham wasnt slow and he could beat players if he wanted to, he showed that you could a few times, he just wasnt that kind of player.

This.

also alonso is a much better passer than david.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm

He is a CM for LA Glaxay I think. He is effective there when I have seen him.

I don't think he was played out of position, he had Keane and Scholes to compete with there. He was one of the best right sided midfielders in the world when he was at Manchester United.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:52 am