Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Childish Logic
fluffy_kittens
El_indian
Jord
Jamie
SBSP
Golden_Golz
11 posters

Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness

Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness Empty Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 pm

I did some homework.

LAST 5 SEASONS

*2006-7 Season - League Tables (top 5 teams)*

La Liga

1. Madrid - 76

2. Barcelona - 76

3. Sevilla - 71

4. Valencia - 66

5. Villareal - 62

*difference between #1 and #5 = 14pts

Premier League

1. Man. U. - 89

2. Chelsea - 83

3. Liverpool - 68

4. Arsenal - 68

5. Spurs - 60

*difference between #1 and #5 = 29pts

*2007-8 Season - League Tables (top 5 teams)*

La Liga

1. Real Madrid - 85

2. Villareal - 77

3. **Barcelona - 67**

4. Atletico - 64

5. Sevilla - 64

*difference between #1 and #5 = 21pts

Premier League

1. Man. Utd. - 87

2. Chelsea - 85

3. Arsenal - 83

4. Liverpool - 76

5. Everton - 65

*difference between #1 and #5 = 22pts

*2008-9 Season - League Tables - (top 5 teams)*

La Liga

1. Barcelona - 87

2. Real Madrid - 78

3. Sevilla - 70

4. Atletico - 67

5. Villareal - 65

*difference between #1 and #5 = 22pts

Premier League

1. Man Utd. - 90

2. Liverpool - 86

3. Chelsea - 83

4. Arsenal - 72

5. Everton - 63

*difference between #1 and #5 = 27pts

*2009-10 Season - League Tables (top 5 teams)*

La Liga

1. Barcelona - 99

2. Real Madrid - 96

3. Valencia - 71

4. Sevilla - 63

5. Mallorca - 62

*difference between #1 and #5 = 37pts

Premier League

1. Chelsea - 86

2. Man. Utd. - 85

3. Arsenal - 75

4. Spurs - 70

5. City - 67

*difference between #1 and #5 = 19pts

*2010-11 Season - League Tables (top 5 teams)*

La Liga

1. Barcelona - 96

2. Real Madrid - 92

3. Valencia - 71

4. Villareal - 62

5. Sevilla - 58

*difference between #1 and #5 = 38pts

Premier League

1. Man. Utd. - 80

2. Chelsea - 71

3. City - 71

4. Arsenal - 68

5. Spurs - 62

*difference between #1 and #5 = 18pts

As you can see, in the past 5 seasons (current state of these teams), the Premier League has had a greater difference between the #1 and the #5 team 3 times, whereas La Liga has only done so twice. The point here is not to say that La Liga is so much more competitive than the PL because of these slightly different numbers. The point of these numbers is to show that petty arguments and reducing players' accomplishments due to the "competitiveness of their leagues" is a moot point. The numbers prove that in terms of winning the league, both leagues come out about the same, both being nearly equally competitive for the top 5 spots.

At the same time, there is no denying the difference in tactical approach and physicality between the two leagues, but calling La Liga a "two horse" race isn't really a valid point, when you also consider that:

Since the '99-00 season:

La Liga - 4 different teams have won the championship

PL - 4 different teams have won the championship

Last 5 years:

PL - 4 times Man United have won it, 1 time Chelsea

La Liga - 3 times Barca, 2 times Madrid
    SBSP
    SBSP

Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness Empty Re: Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness

Post by SBSP Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm

1. La Liga is becoming less open that the PL. The last two seasons' points difference for La Liga are bigger than all the rest.

2. If you have the box on the far right highlighted pink when you post, make sure you click it, as it's messed up your post a bit.
    Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness Empty Re: Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:19 pm

SBSP wrote:1. La Liga is becoming less open that the PL. The last two seasons' points difference for La Liga are bigger than all the rest.

2. If you have the box on the far right highlighted pink when you post, make sure you click it, as it's messed up your post a bit.

Thx, I didn't realize what happened to my text. Very Happy Also want to point out that I'm not trying to be patronizing at all, just researching statistics around a much-discussed topic, and I agree that certainly with the last season La Liga was not really competitive at all, but on average the leagues fare about the same. You hear people making the comment all the time that La Liga is a bad league because it's not competitive. Not last year, no. But on average, it's about the same level of competitiveness as the PL concerning teams' chances at winning the league.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Thing is La Liga isn't competitive for the title from the start. It's really only until the last month or so that you realise the EPL is a two horse race.
    Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 pm

But it still always ends up that way in the PL. Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness 537999

Again, I see your point. There is far more distribution of team funds in the PL, a good reason for this.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Couldn't agree with you more on this.

It also seems to me that people assume that La Liga as a whole is somehow weaker just because Real Madrid and Barcelona are quite far ahead of their Premiership counterparts. I mean I don't get why great teams such as Villarreal, Valencia, Atlético(sometimes...inconsistent as fuck), Sevilla aswell as the likes of Athletic Club are written off as rubbish while teams such as Aston Villa or Everton are seen as equal to them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Fine Shagger wrote:Couldn't agree with you more on this.
    Surprised me that did.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Quite interesting stats actually.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 pm

So what when QPR would smash Valencia 6-1.

SO WHAT?
    Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 pm

In the past 5 seasons the #1 and #2 in the PL have either been Chelsea or United, all but once. Arsenal managed 2nd one of those years.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Golden_Golz wrote:In the past 5 seasons the #1 and #2 in the PL have either been Chelsea or United, all but once. Arsenal managed 2nd one of those years.
    Liverpool?
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Golden_Golz wrote:In the past 5 seasons the #1 and #2 in the PL have either been Chelsea or United, all but once. Arsenal managed 2nd one of those years.
    Liverpool came 2nd three seasons ago.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Jord who is that mad cunt in your ava?
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

..nm
    Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Jord wrote:
    Liverpool came 2nd three seasons ago.

Premier League and La Liga - Past 5 Years - Competitiveness 58503
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm

You might want to take a look at this as well.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/06/comparing-competitiveness-of-european.html
    Golden_Golz
    Golden_Golz

Post by Golden_Golz Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Rei Andros wrote:You might want to take a look at this as well.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/06/comparing-competitiveness-of-european.html

Excellent. Very Happy
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I just can't see Messi scoring 40+ in the EPL.

Call me crazy.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:23 pm

fluffy_kittens wrote:I just can't see Messi scoring 40+ in the EPL.

Call me crazy.

Crazy.........
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Call me crazy.
    You are crazy.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:15 pm

how about you add the points up for PL and La Liga...
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:26 pm

ViVaRooney wrote:how about you add the points up for PL and La Liga...

good idea
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm

I think the last two years demonstrate a more telling trend. The title was essentially decided after the first Classico last season. Even injuries couldn't stop Barca after that.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Call me crazy.

Why not? Ronaldo did.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:10 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:I think the last two years demonstrate a more telling trend. The title was essentially decided after the first Classico last season. Even injuries couldn't stop Barca after that.

That's not true, Barca were only 1.5 points ahead (the .5 being their nigh unassailable H2H) and still had to go to the Bernabau. It's easy to make claims like that after it's happened, but it was far from being over at that stage.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Pretty obvious you used top 5 to make the Premier League look bad.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:12 pm

The lack of parity isn't a knock on the league. Real Madrid and Barca were clearly the two best teams in Europe last year.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:I think the last two years demonstrate a more telling trend. The title was essentially decided after the first Classico last season. Even injuries couldn't stop Barca after that.

That's not true, Barca were only 1.5 points ahead (the .5 being their nigh unassailable H2H) and still had to go to the Bernabau. It's easy to make claims like that after it's happened, but it was far from being over at that stage.
    It was fairly evident from that point forward that Barca were going to take the title. Obviously, they still had a lot of work to do but it was pretty clear that barring a shotload of injuries, they were going to do it. This isn't pure hindsight either. I was saying as much at the time.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:19 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

It was fairly evident from that point forward that Barca were going to take the title. Obviously, they still had a lot of work to do but it was pretty clear that barring a shotload of injuries, they were going to do it. This isn't pure hindsight either. I was saying as much at the time.

You were jumping the gun then. Yeah, you turned out to be right, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

You were jumping the gun then. Yeah, you turned out to be right, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I never jump the gun. I don't make predictions unless I'm almost absolutely certain. Sure, it was mathematically possible that Barca weren't going to win. But there was very little drama in La Liga after October. And if memory serves, even if Real Madrid had won the second league Classico, they still would have been behind in the table and they would have needed help down the stretch.

Anyway, the main point I'm making is that there's more parity in the PL. But that doesn't mean it's a better league. It's just more entertaining.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:31 am