Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Zzonked
Hitchy
Jamie
Carlos Jenkinson
MickStupp
Jack
Gegilworld93
crump
12 posters

The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations

Poll

Topic

[ 4 ]
    The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Bar_left33%The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 8 ]
    The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Bar_left67%The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Bar_right [67%] 

Total Votes: 12
    crump
    crump

The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Empty The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations

Post by crump Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 am

and players with rarely any hype make it bigger.

Yes, the weekly debate is back, and we kick off with something I haven't seen much of discussed on this forum, so use examples to prove me wrong, right and bicker amongst yourselves.
    Anonymous

The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Empty Re: The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:59 am

What's the definition of "make it", because it can be a lot of things, "making it" can be anything from having a respectable but unspectacular career like Steven Gerards or a super star that wins everything like Messi. Awesome Face
    Anonymous

The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations Empty Re: The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 am

David James.

The Debate: YoungPlayersWithBigHypeDon'tReachExpectatations David-seaman

Last edited by Chris on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 am

Hmm, the definition of make it can be if say Lukaku is dubbed the next Drogba, and he doesn't score goals gets injury prone etc, that is a failure.

Basically, Freddy Adu.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:09 am

Well, I remember Messi, C.Ronaldo, Kaka etc being hyped a lot, and yet they've become the world's best players.
    But there's a lot of players that tend to be overhyped, Adu, Saviola, Quaresma being primar examples.

When you look at Neymar, Hazard, Wilshere, Sanchez, Götze etc, it's hard to imagine them not having a great career ahead of them, if you're on about Henderson, Jones etc then you might be correct, I've yet to notice any kind of extraordinary talent, but then again I haven't watched them all season long and English players tend to be overhyped a lot.
    Jack
    Jack

Post by Jack Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:11 am

Jack Rodwell.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 am

I think if a player is professional enough and works hard it doesn't really matter how much hype there is.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 am

Don't see how it's a debate, the media label them with outrageous comparisons to the worlds best knowing it will attract viewers/readers
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 am

I voted no, because I don't know what the actual question is.

Basically I voted NO TO CRUMP
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:41 am

John Fleck was wanted by some pl teams. Got injured and is shit now.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:43 am

kevin Lisbie.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 am

Niel Mellor
    Francies Jeffers.
    Bruni Cherough
    Salif Dioa

Plenty more.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:46 am

I remember Neil Mellor was such a great prospect. Now he's on League 1 or something.
    Hitchy
    Hitchy

Post by Hitchy Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 am

Moorzy2911 wrote:Jack Rodwell.
    He's still only 20....

Anyway, Jermaine Jenas is probably the first one that comes to mind for me
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 am

What are we supposed to be voting on? If all players with hype make it or don't make it? Because it seems quite a narrow answer (as in yes/no is narrow) for a very wide question.

Hype certainly doesn't help players.
    Marvin
    Marvin

Supports : Hollyoaks

Post by Marvin Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:Well, I remember Messi, C.Ronaldo, Kaka etc being hyped a lot, and yet they've become the world's best players.
    But there's a lot of players that tend to be overhyped, Adu, Saviola, Quaresma being primar examples.

When you look at Neymar, Hazard, Wilshere, Sanchez, Götze etc, it's hard to imagine them not having a great career ahead of them, if you're on about Henderson, Jones etc then you might be correct, I've yet to notice any kind of extraordinary talent, but then again I haven't watched them all season long and English players tend to be overhyped a lot.
    Quaresma just made the move to a big club way too soon in his career. Everyone apart from him and his agent knew that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:22 am

Fine Shagger wrote:I voted no, because I don't know what the actual question is.

Laughing
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 am

plenty of players live up to the hype (Rooney) and plenty don't, nuff said really.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 am

Fine Shagger wrote:I voted no, because I don't know what the actual question is.

Pretty much.

But a higher percentage of hyped players 'make it big' than percentage of not hyped players 'make it big'.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 am

Some players get hyped up ridiculously. I remember reading that Anderson was the next Ronaldinho when he joined Man Utd. He doesn't even play like Ronaldinho. Must have just been the hair they were comparing.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 am

Freddie Adu isn't young; he's actually like 40
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 am

I'm inbetween lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:31 am