Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
LFC_Grunners
Drake
Dean
Hernandez_14
Mason
Pippo
Cameron.
SBSP
Sean
Jordi
14 posters

Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post.

Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post. Empty Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post.

Post by Jordi Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 am

The Club can confirm that, by mutual consent, Gerard Houllier has stepped down as manager of Aston Villa with immediate effect.

The 63-year-old took charge in September 2010 but suffered a dissection of the descending aorta in April 2011.

He was unable to take charge of team affairs for the final five games of the season and doctors have advised that he will require further time to recuperate.

The Club and Gerard have agreed amicably to this resolution and the search has begun for a new manager in order to prepare the team for the coming season.

"I would like to thank Gerard for his considerable efforts over the past nine months and for the dedication, commitment and work ethic he has demonstrated as Villa manager," said chief executive Paul Faulkner.

"We regret the circumstances of Gerard's departure and, naturally, we wish him well in his continued recovery.

"I know I speak for everyone associated with Aston Villa in expressing our hope that Gerard will return to full health as quickly as possible and we wish him all the best for the future.

"As a Board we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the Club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season and, to that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager.

"We will update when appropriate and until such time as we can make an announcement there will be no further comment from the Club on this matter."

Gerard Houllier said: "I am extremely disappointed that I will not have the opportunity to manage Aston Villa next season.

"My health has improved considerably since I was taken ill on April 20. I now intend to take the next few months to concentrate on recuperating fully before I may return to football.

"I was very much looking forward to the prospect of my first full season as Villa manager and returning for pre-season training to prepare for the campaign ahead, a luxury that I did not have last season.

"I have been extremely touched by all of the messages I have received and by the reaction of people throughout the world of football.

"I am very grateful to the Villa fans for their genuine concern and encouragement and to the fans of clubs up and down the country for their kind sentiments.

"I would especially like to thank my assistant manager, Gary McAllister, my staff, the players and all at Aston Villa for their support and, of course, for their efforts in securing a very positive end to last season.

"It has been an honour to manage this great club and I wish everyone connected with Aston Villa every success for the future."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2370322,00.html

Neutral

Sean

Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post. Empty Re: Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post.

Post by Sean Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:37 am

He wasn't the best, but sad illness has affected him again
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 am

He's taking a break?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 am

Probably the best move for both the club and Houllier.
    Cameron.

Supports : Manchester United.

Post by Cameron. Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 am

Rafa in ?
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 am

Bogdan wrote:Probably the best move for both the club and Houllier.

This.
    Mason
    Mason

Supports : Coventry City

Post by Mason Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 am

Pip wrote:
    Bogdan wrote:Probably the best move for both the club and Houllier.

This.

Give us a pun. Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post. 9905
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:41 am

Sad.
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 am

I like Houllier.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:02 am

All the best Ged, fantastic manager.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:03 am

not worthy
    Mason
    Mason

Supports : Coventry City

Post by Mason Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:04 am

Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post. 914411 Gerard Houllier leaves Villa post. 914411
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 am

He got Heskey scoring too. Cry
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 am

I reckon Rafa's off to Villa, I've just bet £40 anyway.
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:23 am

Get well soo Ged not worthy
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:26 am

Hes going to Atletico Rafa is he not?
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:26 am

Sean wrote:Hes going to Atletico Rafa is he not?

Turned it down apparently. Wants to stay in the Premier League.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 am

He turned them down.

@Dean: Reckon you've made yourself some money there, what're the odds?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 am

Plus, the Atletico job is a stupid job to take right now.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:28 am

I thought it would have suited him well actually.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:32 am

Jordi wrote:
    He turned them down.

@Dean: Reckon you've made yourself some money there, what're the odds?

5/1 with Skybet
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:45 am

wrote: Take away the 'A' in Boas and replace it with the 'S' from Villas and there you have it: Villa Boss!

hehe

Reckon Rafa's gonna get the job Smile Will be fun to watch him battle with Fergie again cheers
    Coatsy

Post by Coatsy Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 am

Who ever gets it will probably have quite alot of rebuilding to do
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 pm

SSN are claiming Hughes is the favourite to take the job?

Cant see why he would leave Fulham now! It would be a step sideways, And he's just gone through making his first season changes, atm they show more potential for next season than Villa confused
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 pm

LFC_Grunners wrote:SSN are claiming Hughes is the favourite to take the job?

Cant see why he would leave Fulham now! It would be a step sideways, And he's just gone through making his first season changes, atm they show more potential for next season than Villa confused

Villa is a much bigger club than Fulham.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Get Bob Bradley in there. Maybe then his kid can actually get on the pitch from time to time.
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Zzonked wrote:

But they are both in the same positions, (just on the edge of the top 6) Obviously Villa has more history, Bigger fanbase etc: But that wont be much help to Hughes will it?

on top of this he has Europa league to look forward to next year Smile
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Zzonked wrote:

So? Doesn't mean it's a better job.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, I just see more future for Villa than I do for Fulham. I think you're being too nearsighted to only think about the competitions next year.

Villa were challenging for 4th and in a cup final 2 years ago with MoN, with the right manager they could go back to that. Plus I think they've got a better squad and more financial backing.
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 am

I just cant see why he'd want to go through the first season again, He's made his adjustments to Fulham now and he will know who his targets are, Personally I wouldn't through all that away for a move to Villa as I done see it as that much of a step forward

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:57 pm