Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
The Zlatan
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
SBSP
dena
9 posters

Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?

Poll

Could he?

[ 12 ]
    Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_left71%Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_right [71%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_left18%Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_left11%Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Bar_right [11%] 

Total Votes: 17
    dena
    dena

Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Empty Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?

Post by dena Tue May 17, 2011 10:27 am

This is a serious (yet completely hypothetical) question. Neutral

This question was brought up briefly in this weeks Football Weekly, when I first heard the question I though "pppppppft" but after a few moments of thinking it over I see why not, for those of you who are a bit thick it's regarding whether Fergie could lead Arsenal, City or Chelsea to the title, presumably under the same circumstances (most importantly, injuries) as the clubs have endured during this season.

I can't see why not, let me explain my reasoning.

Most fans/pundits can agree that while United are probably the most cohesive unit in England, a break down of player v. player comparisons show that their rivals outclass them in certain positions (theoretically at least). That being said a quick breakdown of United's handicaps and strengths compared to the other top four show no real advantage held by United (no tangible ones anyway).

In terms of squad number/depth: Manchester City >, = United
    In terms of injuries suffered: Arsenal (van Persie, Verm, Fabregas, Song, etc.) = United (Rooney, Rio, Fletcher, Valencia, etc.)
    In terms of average age: Chelsea =, < United

In retrospect, comparing the squads of the top four and looking back at the performances of the teams, it seems pretty clear to me that all these sides had a decent shot at the title at some point or another, but fell apart due to managerial reasons (along with other factors) Arsenal doing their yearly collapse, Chelsea collapsing in the winter (maybe due to Wilkins? idk) and City just "not being ready" for lack of a better phrase, if AF were the manager of these clubs, and endured the same situations, could he bring a title to these respective clubs?

EDIT: Could a mod edit the third option to "fuck hypothetical questions" thx babes XO

Last edited by dena on Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
    SBSP
    SBSP

Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Empty Re: Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?

Post by SBSP Tue May 17, 2011 10:27 am

Yes.
    Sean

Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  Empty Re: Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?

Post by Sean Tue May 17, 2011 10:29 am

Depends the situation, if you mean Fergie took over the clubs at the start of the season then no, because Ferguson has had this squad a good 3-4 years now, (give or take), he's implanted his ethos on them over that time, never mind the 20 odd years he's implanted his way at United
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:30 am

Too much to digest.

Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  2513114_com_815492_303
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 am

Radford11 wrote:Too much to digest.

No one here likes threads where you have to think a little. -_-
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am

I gave my 2 cents Dena....
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue May 17, 2011 10:40 am

No, it's absolute horse-shit. People talk about the resiliency of the squad and such as being the reason why we won the League, maybe so, and they credit that attitude to Sir Alex Ferguson, which again, may be fair enough. The problem is, what people don't realise is that the reason Man Utd's squad has the attitude it does isn't some magic powers of Ferguson that he started psychologically improving the players this season, it's that Ferguson only signs players with that particular mental toughness.

Ferguson's main strength is building strong teams, if you put him in charge of a team that isn't built effectively, moreover a team that he hasn't built, he won't be nearly as successful.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am

Oh you meant just this season Dena? I thought you meant being with that team like he has been with United. Laughing
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am

I wouldnt exatly say Nani, Berbatov, even Ronaldo had great mental toughness
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 am

SBSP wrote:Oh you meant just this season Dena? I thought you meant being with that team like he has been with United. Laughing

Yeah, this season.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:No, it's absolute horse-shit. People talk about the resiliency of the squad and such as being the reason why we won the League, maybe so, and they credit that attitude to Sir Alex Ferguson, which again, may be fair enough. The problem is, what people don't realise is that the reason Man Utd's squad has the attitude it does isn't some magic powers of Ferguson that he started psychologically improving the players this season, it's that Ferguson only signs players with that particular mental toughness.

Ferguson's main strength is building strong teams, if you put him in charge of a team that isn't built effectively, moreover a team that he hasn't built, he won't be nearly as successful.

How does one scout for mental toughness though? This isn't football manager where you can look up the secret stats of a player, I'm inclined to believe that Ferguson has install some level of resiliency and er... "fight" in his team.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue May 17, 2011 10:47 am

Sean wrote:I wouldnt exatly say Nani, Berbatov, even Ronaldo had great mental toughness

I see Ronaldo as one of the most mentally tough players in the game, he is the ultimate professional. I can see why you would say Berbatov isn't, but he's hardly been an unqualified success at United, Nani I don't see any indication either way.

dena wrote:
    SBSP wrote:Oh you meant just this season Dena? I thought you meant being with that team like he has been with United. Laughing

Yeah, this season.

ResurrectionRooney wrote:No, it's absolute horse-shit. People talk about the resiliency of the squad and such as being the reason why we won the League, maybe so, and they credit that attitude to Sir Alex Ferguson, which again, may be fair enough. The problem is, what people don't realise is that the reason Man Utd's squad has the attitude it does isn't some magic powers of Ferguson that he started psychologically improving the players this season, it's that Ferguson only signs players with that particular mental toughness.

How does one scout for mental toughness though? This isn't football manager where you can look up the secret stats of a player, I'm inclined to believe that Ferguson has install some level of resiliency and er... "fight" in his team.

Or maybe he just talks to the players before signing them. He hasn't changed the makeup of his players' brains over the last 10 months, he's not some kind of mind altering magician.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:48 am

I think he would win it with either Chelsea, Arsenal, or Man City. The deviation between squad quality isn't that big, it really comes down to squad depth.

Chelsea match up pretty well Man Utd from back to front, but their depth would hurt them,, in spite of SAF. City not so much, and their depth on the surface isn't good. '

Now that I think about it, if SAF were coaching Arsenal they would probably destroy the Premier League. All they need is some mental fortitude added to make that extra step. That SAF provides in loads, not to mention his tactical nous.
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 am

Reason I say Ronaldo, is look at any game where things arnt going his way (El Classico's for example) his body language shows his complete frustration and its like if its not going like he wants he just gives up.

dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Sean wrote:I wouldnt exatly say Nani, Berbatov, even Ronaldo had great mental toughness

I see Ronaldo as one of the most mentally tough players in the game, he is the ultimate professional. I can see why you would say Berbatov isn't, but he's hardly been an unqualified success at United, Nani I don't see any indication either way.

dena wrote:

Yeah, this season.

Or maybe he just talks to the players before signing them. He hasn't changed the makeup of his players' brains over the last 10 months, he's not some kind of mind altering magician.

Once again I have to ask, how can he determine that with just an interview (or two, or three, whatever) I highly doubt that AF met with Javier Hernandez last year and said "Right lad, we're tied 1-1 with WBA away, only 15 minutes left, our away form has been shite, and we need max points to stay in the hunt, I put you on. WHAT DO YOU DO, WHAT DO YOU DO????!!" and he says "I score goal" and that convinces Ferguson that he has what it takes mentally to be clutch.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:53 am

SAF to you. Snooty

shifty
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

Yes.

All you have to do is look at Man U's team. In Arsenal's case, I can think of a few players (Fabregas,Song and maybe van Persie) that would pretty much walk into their first team.
    Look at Chelsea, Essien, maybe Ashley Cole.
    Man City, Yaya Toure, Tevez and possibly De Jong.

It's crazy to think that Man U can do so well with what looks like a weak midfield compared to the rest of the top 4.

It's like what you said in your OP. As a unit, Man U are the strongest team in England, they grind out the results, and the majority of that is down to Alex Ferguson.

I think it would take sometime to get used to his system, but I don't see why he would fail.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 am

Dena Laughing

I think a player's mentality would be evident if you've been scouting them for a while.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 17, 2011 11:02 am

Rei wrote:Dena Laughing

I think a player's mentality would be evident if you've been scouting them for a while.

This is true I guess.

For the record, I havent voted yet because I'm still debating it, hypothetical are sometimes pointless to think over, but I think this one is interesting. SAF has shown over the past million years that he has a wide range of attributes that make him a great manager, I think those attributes fill needs that the various clubs in the top 4 needed to win a title. City's main critics claim they are two defensive, AF is known as an attacking manager, Chelsea are old and need a smart manager to manage the squad (always thought Carlo did a nice job with his bengay Milan team, despite the fact they won nothing for a bit) Arsneal need a resilience, etc.

Just wonderin' Mischief

Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am

He's a nasty bastard. But by God is he good, when you turn players like John O'Shea and Wes Brown into half-decentish players, that's when you know you've got the touch. He turns pebbles into diamonds. And to answer the question, yes, he could.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Brown and O'Shea are fantastically gifted players, Brown at his 2008 best would walk into any team in the Premier League today, and O'Shea would be sure of a spot in pretty much any team except Chelsea. I suppose you're right in one way though, a lot of people don't understand that because they're not as clued up as Ferguson is, another manager could have let them go.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 pm

With the right number of years, I think he could have lead the top 4 each to a title. Arsenal just need a good manager.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Hard to say really. I think if you give him a few years then definately yes. Also depends if at say Man City, he could spend the money himself rather than being stuck with the players they have.

I think a better question is "Would anyone else in modern football have done as well if not better than Fergie?"
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 10:53 pm

dena wrote:
    Radford11 wrote:Too much to digest.

No one here likes threads where you have to think a little. Could AF have led any of the other top 4 to a title?  881856

Laughing I was just too tired to think last night.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 pm

If he'd been at Chelsea this season he would probably have been fired half way through the season.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:If he'd been at Chelsea this season he would probably have been fired half way through the season.

Because that's exactly what happened to Ancelotti this season, isn't it.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 pm

luke. wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:If he'd been at Chelsea this season he would probably have been fired half way through the season.

Ferguson would never stand for an owner interfering in football matters, hiring and firing staff against his will. Ancelotti doesn't have the balls to stand up to an owner like Ferguson, Mourinho or even Benitez would, he made a career out of being Berlusconi's bitch.
    Pimp

Supports : Liverpool

Post by Pimp Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes, if he was in charge of city then they'd have walked the league title.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    luke. wrote:

Ferguson would never stand for an owner interfering in football matters, hiring and firing staff against his will. Ancelotti doesn't have the balls to stand up to an owner like Ferguson, Mourinho or even Benitez would, he made a career out of being Berlusconi's bitch.

Oh, I thought you meant just based on on the pitch results, but I do agree in that aspect. Abramovich takes no shit, and Ancelotti doesn't give shit. The way he handled Wilkins sacking was awful.. he just let it happen without saying anything.
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Tue May 17, 2011 11:35 pm

All top four teams bar Chelsea, because they're an oppressive instiutution that don't respect the input of top Managers or their staff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:53 am