Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Jamie
luke.
Barton
Fanatic
GK01
Jack
Hernandez_14
menalawyerguy
Ricardo
Mal
14 posters

Arsene Wenger and club finances

Ricardo
    Ricardo

Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger and club finances

Post by Ricardo Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Chelsea hired Avram Grant though Laughing
    Doesn't say too much that they wanted Wenger.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger and club finances

Post by Laurencio Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Fine Shagger wrote:Barcelona want Wenger...err since when?

Luis Enrique, Michael Laudrup. A name like those will take over, not Wenger.

Luis Enrique is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season and does not have anywhere near the coaching experience to take over a side like Barcelona. He's no guardiola, and Michael Laudrup hasn't really done anyhting that should warrant Barcelona being intersted in him and he's got a contract with Mallorca until 2012.

B0dunrin wrote:Chelsea hired Avram Grant though Laughing
    Doesn't say too much that they wanted Wenger.

Point is that there is a lot of clubs that are interested in him and there's a reason for it.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Laurencio wrote:

Luis Enrique is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season and does not have anywhere near the coaching experience to take over a side like Barcelona. He's no guardiola, and Michael Laudrup hasn't really done anyhting that should warrant Barcelona being intersted in him and he's got a contract with Mallorca until 2012.

If he's got a contract til 2012 then what's wrong with that? Guardiola is supposedly leaving after next season...

I'm just saying they'll go for someone with experience at Barcelona, Wenger hasn't even been linked by a single reputable source.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Mal wrote:Arsene Wenger is taking too much criticism lately. He is Arsenal's greatest ever manager and when he was given money in the past, he used it. Thierry Henry was bought for £12m in 1999 which was a big sum then.

With the move to The Emirates Stadium, the board are trying to keep the club running without extra loans. We had to sell Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor two years ago to raise money but the genius Wenger is, he sold the right players for good prices, one's been shipped out on loan and another has been suspended. Although Toure would be a nice bit of experience in Arsenal's back four.

Most Arsenal fans expect a lot because of the high expectations Wenger has created. Before Wenger, Arsenal finished in the top four 23 times in 92 seasons. Under Wenger, Arsenal have finished in the top four 14 times in his 14 seasons.

I agree he has become stubborn but the bargain basement signings are because he's forced to. Arsenal had really good end of year financial results because of property sales. Them properties are gone now with Arsenal having shit commercial deals which can't be dealt with until 2014. From August 2011, Tottenham will make more money commercially than Arsenal despite being a much smaller club. (no dig) Hopefully Stan Kroenke will want to invest in to the squad but we have no idea about that.

Since Arsenal's last league title the net transfer spend of other clubs challenging for the CL is just remarkable.

Arsenal +£11.5m
    Manchester United -£108.72m
    Chelsea. -£397.95m
    Manchester City -£435.2m
    Tottenham -£239.6m.

Say what you wish but with that budget and the budgets of the clubs around, Arsenal shouldn't even be as high as they are. I'm an Arsenal fan and I have been my whole life. I'm as frustrated as any about the lack of trophies but without Wenger, where would we be? A lot of the players are there for him, a lot of the staff are there for him.

What manager can do a better job on a ridiculous budget like that?
    Walter Smith shifty

Spending less money is all very well, but considering how much of a magnificent failure of a season this has been something needs to be done. I don't mean get rid of Wenger, but I'll compare them to Rangers:

Both clubs have spent much less money than their rivals in the past few years yet Rangers, despite admittedly not being as talented a squad as Celtic, have a winning mentality, they've had the experienced players that can win a trophy almost by sheer power of will. Of course the BPL is tougher, before anyone says that, but there's more pressure on each of the Old Firm to win the league.

Anyone see Lee Dixon talking about Arsenal on the BBC website? He was saying they need a "winner" and leader (he mentions possibly bringing in Clarence Seedorf). For me, if they find someone like that this summer they'll do well next year, that's all they need in my opinion.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Fine Shagger wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

If he's got a contract til 2012 then what's wrong with that? Guardiola is supposedly leaving after next season...

I'm just saying they'll go for someone with experience at Barcelona, Wenger hasn't even been linked by a single reputable source.

I thought I read something about it in a spanish paper, but I might be wrong, my spanish is severly limited. As for Laudrup I really don't see him having the same success as Guardiola. He would have the players for sure, but Laudrup's approach to tactics and discipline is quite a bit different to that of Guardiola.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Laurencio wrote:

Luis Enrique is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season and does not have anywhere near the coaching experience to take over a side like Barcelona.

He has about the same exact experience that Guardiola had when he took over at Barcelona.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

Luis Enrique is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season and does not have anywhere near the coaching experience to take over a side like Barcelona.

He has about the same exact experience that Guardiola had when he took over at Barcelona.

Lightning does not strike twice. It would be next to impossible for Enrique to be a new Guardiola.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 am

Laurencio wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

Lightning does not strike twice. It would be next to impossible for Enrique to be a new Guardiola.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean Barca won't roll the dice and give it another try.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 am

And people like Fonesca want the man out Surprised
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 am

grenade187 wrote:And people like Fonesca want the man out Surprised

Imagine not wanting a manager who hasn't looked like winning anything for years out.

Although if I remember right he said Wenger should get 1 final year, don't see why he deserves more than that so he said nothing wrong.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 am

That's nice for the board and all... but..
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 am

What's the point of being in competitions when you don't spend the money or barely bother? What's the point in saying you want him to change so he can stay, when he's not changed for 6 years? What's the point of making us money in an entertaining sport? So a Chelsea fan can brag trophies while you brag about money?

This is the only place where people by a majority don't want Wenger out, I said I wanted him by next season anyway
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 am

Somebody said Arshavin was a bad buy. Laughing

In 97 apps he's been worth 61 goals and smashed plenty of them in big games.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 am

The-Reporter wrote:Somebody said Arshavin was a bad buy. Laughing

4-4 facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 am

Mr Leiva wrote:

4-4 Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 58503
    Say what you like out Arshavin, he turns up in the big games I don't give a shit if he doesn't seem bothered on the pitch. Scored 5 goals at Anfield within 2 games there bearing in mind that last goal he literally ran the pitch keeping up with Walcott and smashing it in. Scored a belter at Old Trafford that season, made another dash against Barcelona this season and I'm sure there are other important goals he's scored and created as well.
    Not having a dig at you mr leiva.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 am

MickStupp wrote:
    Mal wrote:Arsene Wenger is taking too much criticism lately. He is Arsenal's greatest ever manager and when he was given money in the past, he used it. Thierry Henry was bought for £12m in 1999 which was a big sum then.

With the move to The Emirates Stadium, the board are trying to keep the club running without extra loans. We had to sell Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor two years ago to raise money but the genius Wenger is, he sold the right players for good prices, one's been shipped out on loan and another has been suspended. Although Toure would be a nice bit of experience in Arsenal's back four.

Most Arsenal fans expect a lot because of the high expectations Wenger has created. Before Wenger, Arsenal finished in the top four 23 times in 92 seasons. Under Wenger, Arsenal have finished in the top four 14 times in his 14 seasons.

I agree he has become stubborn but the bargain basement signings are because he's forced to. Arsenal had really good end of year financial results because of property sales. Them properties are gone now with Arsenal having shit commercial deals which can't be dealt with until 2014. From August 2011, Tottenham will make more money commercially than Arsenal despite being a much smaller club. (no dig) Hopefully Stan Kroenke will want to invest in to the squad but we have no idea about that.

Since Arsenal's last league title the net transfer spend of other clubs challenging for the CL is just remarkable.

Arsenal +£11.5m
    Manchester United -£108.72m
    Chelsea. -£397.95m
    Manchester City -£435.2m
    Tottenham -£239.6m.

Say what you wish but with that budget and the budgets of the clubs around, Arsenal shouldn't even be as high as they are. I'm an Arsenal fan and I have been my whole life. I'm as frustrated as any about the lack of trophies but without Wenger, where would we be? A lot of the players are there for him, a lot of the staff are there for him.

What manager can do a better job on a ridiculous budget like that?
    Walter Smith Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 279869

Spending less money is all very well, but considering how much of a magnificent failure of a season this has been something needs to be done. I don't mean get rid of Wenger, but I'll compare them to Rangers:

Both clubs have spent much less money than their rivals in the past few years yet Rangers, despite admittedly not being as talented a squad as Celtic, have a winning mentality, they've had the experienced players that can win a trophy almost by sheer power of will. Of course the BPL is tougher, before anyone says that, but there's more pressure on each of the Old Firm to win the league.

Anyone see Lee Dixon talking about Arsenal on the BBC website? He was saying they need a "winner" and leader (he mentions possibly bringing in Clarence Seedorf). For me, if they find someone like that this summer they'll do well next year, that's all they need in my opinion.
    You can't get much more successful and experieced than Seedorf, footballing legend Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 914411
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 am

19Jones19v wrote:
    Mr Leiva wrote:

Say what you like out Arshavin, he turns up in the big games I don't give a shit if he doesn't seem bothered on the pitch. Scored 5 goals at Anfield within 2 games there bearing in mind that last goal he literally ran the pitch keeping up with Walcott and smashing it in. Scored a belter at Old Trafford that season, made another dash against Barcelona this season and I'm sure there are other important goals he's scored and created as well.

Never said he was poor or good.

Just stating the game where he scored 4 past us. Simples
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 am

As much as I hate Wenger's stubborness, I still love the man for what he's done for our club. As the OP said I don't think there's another manager out there that could do what he's done for us.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 am

Mr Leiva wrote:
    19Jones19v wrote:
    Mr Leiva wrote:

Never said he was poor or good.

Just stating the game where he scored 4 past us. Arsene Wenger and club finances - Page 2 225495
    Yeah I know, I was meant to quote the reporter not you. Embarassed
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 am

Fonseca wrote:

What's the point of being in competitions when you don't spend the money or barely bother? What's the point in saying you want him to change so he can stay, when he's not changed for 6 years? What's the point of making us money in an entertaining sport? So a Chelsea fan can brag trophies while you brag about money?

This is the only place where people by a majority don't want Wenger out, I said I wanted him by next season anyway
    rofl facepalm

I am nearly 100% sure most Arsenal fans want him to stay.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:20 pm