Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Jamie
luke.
Barton
Fanatic
GK01
Jack
Hernandez_14
menalawyerguy
Ricardo
Mal
14 posters

Arsene Wenger and club finances

Mal
    Mal

Arsene Wenger and club finances Empty Arsene Wenger and club finances

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Arsene Wenger is taking too much criticism lately. He is Arsenal's greatest ever manager and when he was given money in the past, he used it. Thierry Henry was bought for £12m in 1999 which was a big sum then.

With the move to The Emirates Stadium, the board are trying to keep the club running without extra loans. We had to sell Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor two years ago to raise money but the genius Wenger is, he sold the right players for good prices, one's been shipped out on loan and another has been suspended. Although Toure would be a nice bit of experience in Arsenal's back four.

Most Arsenal fans expect a lot because of the high expectations Wenger has created. Before Wenger, Arsenal finished in the top four 23 times in 92 seasons. Under Wenger, Arsenal have finished in the top four 14 times in his 14 seasons.

I agree he has become stubborn but the bargain basement signings are because he's forced to. Arsenal had really good end of year financial results because of property sales. Them properties are gone now with Arsenal having shit commercial deals which can't be dealt with until 2014. From August 2011, Tottenham will make more money commercially than Arsenal despite being a much smaller club. (no dig) Hopefully Stan Kroenke will want to invest in to the squad but we have no idea about that.

Since Arsenal's last league title the net transfer spend of other clubs challenging for the CL is just remarkable.

Arsenal +£11.5m
    Manchester United -£108.72m
    Chelsea. -£397.95m
    Manchester City -£435.2m
    Tottenham -£239.6m.

Say what you wish but with that budget and the budgets of the clubs around, Arsenal shouldn't even be as high as they are. I'm an Arsenal fan and I have been my whole life. I'm as frustrated as any about the lack of trophies but without Wenger, where would we be? A lot of the players are there for him, a lot of the staff are there for him.

What manager can do a better job on a ridiculous budget like that?
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Arsene Wenger and club finances Empty Re: Arsene Wenger and club finances

Post by Ricardo Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I agree that we're doing remarkably well considering the expenditure but from a less financial perspective and more footballing perpective, Wenger's slowly losing the plot.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:47 pm

I agree, he seems like he's becoming ill. It must be frustration at the fucking cunts we have on the pitch. Arsenal have the talent to win trophies but there's no fight in the players. The squad is just about good enough, built by Wenger with barely any money. I think most of the blame should be put on the players for being chokers.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm

I think the most frustrating thing for me (if I was an Arsenal fan) is when he has spent money in recent years, it has been wasted.

Koscielny, Squilaci, Arshavin and there is probably more.

MAYBE the syle of football makes it harder for Wenger to sign players that will fit in without paying what Man City, Real Madrid and Chelsea do, so he is forced to sign young players all the time just so they can play the 'Arsenal way' in the future.

Anyway, I think the only thing Arsenal should buy is a keeper. Buying any other players would take them a while to settle in to the style of football, the only club Arsenal could realisticly buy players from and know they will settle in well with the team is Barca.
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:54 pm

I agree that the players should take some (maybe most) of the blame, I thinks it's 50/50 to be honest. The mentality of the squad seems to be the barrier as we're good enough ability-wise to win trophies. Wenger should set a better example to the players because it would probably inspire better team morale although the frustration of not being able to shut games out is catching up on him.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Mal wrote:I agree, he seems like he's becoming ill. It must be frustration at the fucking cunts we have on the pitch. Arsenal have the talent to win trophies but there's no fight in the players. The squad is just about good enough, built by Wenger with barely any money. I think most of the blame should be put on the players for being chokers.

That's what I was saying in the Arsenal thread. They are choke artists. They cannot finish games off. And it must be really frustrating this year in particular because there was all kinds of hardware just begging to have Arsenal's name on it but they let it all slip. This year was ripe for the taking because everybody else was shit. This is the worst Man Utd team we've seen in a long time. Chelsea went through a horrendous slump. If there was ever a year for Arsenal to take it, this was it. But they are clueless at finishing off games. They are literally one or two star defenders away from being bona fide treble contenders. It would have been good for them to have a more viable and consistent keeper this year, but going forward, centerhalf is a more pressing issue. Somebody who will just take the game by the scruff and close up shop at the end of games.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Personally I think your attack is a bit overrated. Look at all the possession on Sunday (especially in Boltons half) I think Nasri is a bit overrated, he started well but isn't as good as everyone makes out. Theo is too 1 dimensional, he is only useful when the opposition plays open football.

Also, Van Persie looked great when Chamakh came on, after seeing him then i'm kind of confused why Wenger won't play him with Chamakh.

---------------Chamakh
    Arshavin--Van Persie--Nasri
    ----------Song----Fab

is what should of been played on Sunday.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm

There was strong rumours that Wenger bid for Jagielka last summer but the board limited the bid to £10m so he couldn't go any higher. facepalm

Also the board bid £15m for Reina according to Bob Wilson. £15m for Reina, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League. rofl
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Agree with James there, Theo and Nasri are overated.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

James ♠ wrote:Personally I think your attack is a bit overrated. Look at all the possession on Sunday (especially in Boltons half) I think Nasri is a bit overrated, he started well but isn't as good as everyone makes out. Theo is too 1 dimensional, he is only useful when the opposition plays open football.

Also, Van Persie looked great when Chamakh came on, after seeing him then i'm kind of confused why Wenger won't play him with Chamakh.

---------------Chamakh
    ----------Song----Fab

They're wonderful footballers and they play beautifully. But sometimes, they just try to be too perfect. They're always looking for the perfect pass. Sometimes, they should cut the shit and go directly for the jugular. They can virtually go an entire half without letting the other team barely touch the ball and still wind up with less shots on goal.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Walcott is one of Arsenal's most improved players. He is a striker stuck out on the wing, it must be frustrating for him but the inside forward role he plays with RVP is brilliant and he's been scoring a few goals.

Nasri isn't overrated, he's another player who's out of his comfort zone playing out on the wing. He likes to play in the box to box role or the 'Cesc' role.
    Ricardo
    Ricardo

Post by Ricardo Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Theo is not overrated. A striker shouldn't have to play out wide..
    Nasri doesn't play in his position alot either, but I agree that he's slightly overrated.
    Jack
    Jack

Post by Jack Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 pm

I want you to get someone like Aguero.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:
    James ♠ wrote:Personally I think your attack is a bit overrated. Look at all the possession on Sunday (especially in Boltons half) I think Nasri is a bit overrated, he started well but isn't as good as everyone makes out. Theo is too 1 dimensional, he is only useful when the opposition plays open football.

---------------Chamakh
    ----------Song----Fab

They're wonderful footballers and they play beautifully. But sometimes, they just try to be too perfect. They're always looking for the perfect pass. Sometimes, they should cut the shit and go directly for the jugular. They can virtually go an entire half without letting the other team barely touch the ball and still wind up with less shots on goal.

That I agree too. In the 07/08 and 08/09 seasons, Cesc just smashed them in from anywhere. 09/10 we had more goals from set pieces. Gallas and Vermaelen scored 9 goals between them from set pieces alone.

If we had that set piece threat and the shoot on site threats again, we would be scoring a lot more.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:16 pm

So Mal, why doesn't Wenger play something along the lines of

-------------RVP
    Arshavin-Nasri-Theo
    ---------Song-Fab

Arshavin isnt that bad and at least he has close control and can dribble unlike Walcott. Razz
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Mal wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

---------------Chamakh
    ----------Song----Fab

That I agree too. In the 07/08 and 08/09 seasons, Cesc just smashed them in from anywhere. 09/10 we had more goals from set pieces. Gallas and Vermaelen scored 9 goals between them from set pieces alone.

If we had that set piece threat and the shoot on site threats again, we would be scoring a lot more.

The funny thing is that even with all their flirting around and incompetence on set pieces, they still scored a decent number of goals this year. This was a strange year and it's too bad for them that they blew it. Because I do not expect Man Utd to be the same next year. I would be shocked if they don't bolster their midfield substantially. And I'm sure Sir Alex will figure out what to do about keeper. So I expect a more solid Man Utd next year. Not sure what direction Chelsea will go in and you know Man City is going to spend. Spurs probably will too. And it also seems like Liverpool is being rejuvinated. This year was Arsenal's best chance
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Put it in the portal shifty
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm a bit confused, if the board are limiting him from bidding more than they want, does he really have funds at his disposal?
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:52 pm

He has funds but not £20m for one player. The board are probably happy to help him buy a target just not go over a certain amount. Arsenal is a business first now. Sadly.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 pm

James ♠️ wrote:So Mal, why doesn't Wenger play something along the lines of

-------------RVP
    Arshavin-Nasri-Theo
    ---------Song-Fab

Arshavin isnt that bad and at least he has close control and can dribble unlike Walcott. Razz

That looks good to me.

They need another winger though, someone ahead of Walcott. I think he'd be much better as an impact sub.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:34 pm

look in another perspective

compare small chelsea to arsenal

is 400million pound worth 3 league title, 3 fa cup, 2 league cup

i think those fans will say yes
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:36 pm

mauro=beast wrote:look in another perspective

compare small chelsea to arsenal

is 400million pound worth 3 league title, 3 fa cup, 2 league cup

i think those fans will say yes

Fans would certainly say yes. But owners and board members who have skin in the game? Maybe not.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 pm

unless your a rich beast like abramoivic
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 pm

mauro=beast wrote:unless your a rich beast like abramoivic

Because he's not in it to make money. He's in it to win trophies and to beast. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, Arsenal F.C. is a business endeavor first and foremost.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:05 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

Because he's not in it to make money. He's in it to win trophies and to beast. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, Arsenal F.C. is a business endeavor first and foremost.

Abramovich isn't in it to make money, he's just not as clued up on football as most other owners. But he's learning, as he attends most games.

EDIT: That made no sense Neutral
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Mal wrote:There was strong rumours that Wenger bid for Jagielka last summer but the board limited the bid to £10m so he couldn't go any higher. facepalm

Also the board bid £15m for Reina according to Bob Wilson. £15m for Reina, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League. rofl

Firstly, it was £20m.

Secondly, why does Wenger never come out and deny it when people above him say he has money to spend?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 pm

luke. wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

Abramovich isn't in it to make money, he's just not as clued up on football as most other owners. But he's learning, as he attends most games.

EDIT: That made no sense Neutral

i thikn anbramovic is very passionate person. he willing to spend silly amounts on helping team. he should being commended without his money chelsea would of becoming insolvent in 2003
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:16 pm

it would be pretty cool if suddendly wenger came out and send, ok i will spend 80 million on new players
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Wenger is a fucking genius, there's nothing more to say about that. Anyone who wants him out are clinically insane. He plays the market better than anyone, he's fiercely loyal to his players and he does not let anything stand in the way of philosophical approach to football. His only problem is that he's french and all the personality flaws that come with it Razz

Here are a list of clubs who have wanted and want Arsene Wenger:

Real Madrid (He turned them down because he disagreed with Perez)
    Barcelona (After Guardiola leaves they say)
    Inter (He refused)
    Milan (refused)
    Juve (Refused)
    Chelsea (Abromovich has been interested in Wenger since he took over the club)
    +++

The man is a genius and that has been acknowledged around the world. Arsenal will rue the day he leaves as much as we will rue the day Fergie leaves, if not more.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Barcelona want Wenger...err since when?

Luis Enrique, Michael Laudrup. A name like those will take over, not Wenger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:38 pm