Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Barton
Jord
Cornholio
dena
Jamie
El_indian
Scouser_Dave
Kaka11|LFC
Mal
Hitchy
Lux
Jordan Henderchip
SheldonCooper
17 posters

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres....

SheldonCooper

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres.... Empty Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres....

Post by SheldonCooper Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 pm

...when they were still good. It was a bigger mistake than Roy taking over tbh.
    Anonymous

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres.... Empty Re: Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres....

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I agree, N'gog and Spearing are the future and are ready to take the club to the next level.
    SheldonCooper

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres.... Empty Re: Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres....

Post by SheldonCooper Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48 pm

BigPoppaSmurf wrote:I agree, N'gog and Spearing are the future and are ready to take the club to the next level.
    LOL. That's not what I meant. They could have been replaced by quality players for that much money. But now there's no hope.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:05 pm

SheldonCooper wrote:...when they were still good. It was a bigger mistake than Roy taking over tbh.

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres.... 158228
    SheldonCooper

Post by SheldonCooper Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Liverpool fc 4 ever wrote:
    SheldonCooper wrote:...when they were still good. It was a bigger mistake than Roy taking over tbh.

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard and Torres.... 158228
    wtf ? scratch
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 pm

unfortunately if we sell Torres his like tomorrow (just an example) his price will be like 10 million lower than if it was the start of the season Neutral
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Would've got maybe £75m for the pair.

Now more like £45m tops Neutral
    Hitchy
    Hitchy

Post by Hitchy Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Torres will be off in the summer anyway
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I don't think they would ever receive I fee for Gerrard that would be worth selling him.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Hindsight is 20/20
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Why would you want to sell your two best players? scratch
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:23 pm

To be fair, some people (including me) was saying they should sell Torres and Gerrard (maybe even Reina) and build a squad again rather than just a team with 3 great players. Now they have been takenover though that looks a bit different providing these new owners are going to spend money.
    SheldonCooper

Post by SheldonCooper Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Mal wrote:Why would you want to sell your two best players? scratch
    To replace them with actual quality with that huge amount of money and have a more solid squad.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 pm

SheldonCooper wrote:
    Mal wrote:Why would you want to sell your two best players? scratch
    To replace them with actual quality with that huge amount of money and have a more solid squad.

But you have to be more ambitious than that. Keep your best players and add to them, who would you replace Gerrard and Torres with?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 pm

In the summer they couldn't add to them. They had to sell to buy.

Now it is a different story (I think) I'd keep them try to add another couple of quality signings.
    Kaka11|LFC
    Kaka11|LFC

Post by Kaka11|LFC Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 pm

At the moment Gerrard is irreplaceable, he has the ability to single handedly turn games on their head to be honest, yea hes getting old but hes still got a couple years to go. Also, say we do sell Torres, who can we replace him with that is better than Torres? Torres might not be doing the best right now but he doesn't have enough support to be the best, what striker that is better than Torres would want to join Liverpool in our state. We need to build a solid squad, not tear down the foundations.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Kaka11|LFC wrote:At the moment Gerrard is irreplaceable, he has the ability to single handedly turn games on their head to be honest, yea hes getting old but hes still got a couple years to go. Also, say we do sell Torres, who can we replace him with that is better than Torres? Torres might not be doing the best right now but he doesn't have enough support to be the best, what striker that is better than Torres would want to join Liverpool in our state. We need to build a solid squad, not tear down the foundations.

My point exactly.
    SheldonCooper

Post by SheldonCooper Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Kaka11|LFC wrote: Torres might not be doing the best right now but he doesn't have enough support to be the best
    That's the point. With the money they were getting for the 2, they could have bought a quality striker with quality support.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Kaka11|LFC wrote:At the moment Gerrard is irreplaceable, he has the ability to single handedly turn games on their head to be honest, yea hes getting old but hes still got a couple years to go. Also, say we do sell Torres, who can we replace him with that is better than Torres? Torres might not be doing the best right now but he doesn't have enough support to be the best, what striker that is better than Torres would want to join Liverpool in our state. We need to build a solid squad, not tear down the foundations.

When you sell a player you don't always need to replace him with another that is better than him.

I think it would benefit Liverpool if they sold Torres and bought 4 or 5 £10m players.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 pm

These are the last two players we would sell. Both are the main source of in come to the club with shirt sales and putting arses on seats.

It would make more sense to sell the deadwood within the squad and build around the important players in the side.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 pm

why would you sell your 2 best players who were in their prime? They could single handedly win matches for you.

surely it would be better to add talent rather than rebuild from scratch, who would younger players look up to?

why would you sell the worlds best striker at the time?

Selling Gerrard would have been like ripping the heart out of Liverpool, it's not all about money ya know...
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I wasn't against cashing in on Gerrard in the summer if I'm honest.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Jamie wrote:I wasn't against cashing in on Gerrard in the summer if I'm honest.

Me neither but thank fuck we didn't.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Jamie wrote:I wasn't against cashing in on Gerrard in the summer if I'm honest.

Me neither but thank fuck we didn't.

Yeah I'd agree, he's been a lot better this year.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 am

Imagine if they sold Torres and Gerrard and let Roy use the funds. facepalm
    Kaka11|LFC
    Kaka11|LFC

Post by Kaka11|LFC Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:08 am

SheldonCooper wrote:
    Kaka11|LFC wrote: Torres might not be doing the best right now but he doesn't have enough support to be the best
    That's the point. With the money they were getting for the 2, they could have bought a quality striker with quality support.
    I don't think you understand though, we've got two players who are not to far away from being the best in the world in their positions, now with the new owners they are willing to spend money, Rafa had to generate money from sales but with the change of owners they will put money in pockets, why would you sell them when you don't need to? We don't have to risk buying a striker that isn't proven in the EPL because we already have Torres, we just have to worry about strengthening the wings and get some depth. As I said, we should be building up not taking away our foundations.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:08 am

dena wrote:Imagine if they sold Torres and Gerrard and let Roy use the funds. facepalm

We'd have Zamora, C.Cole and Cattermole as there replacements no doubt.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 am

Yeah, look at the bigger picture.

How many times did the owners spend more than they received?

If we had of sold Gerrard and Torres we WOULD be relegated this season.

Hicks and Gilette would have said thank you very much for the 70million or whatever and fucking scarpered.

Without them two, the club would have been pretty much valueless and we would have been refinanced, or gone into administration.

Imagine THAT UNDER ROY.

Shite thread, thank you and good night.
    SheldonCooper

Post by SheldonCooper Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:00 am

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ wrote:Yeah, look at the bigger picture.

How many times did the owners spend more than they received?

If we had of sold Gerrard and Torres we WOULD be relegated this season.

Hicks and Gilette would have said thank you very much for the 70million or whatever and fucking scarpered.

Without them two, the club would have been pretty much valueless and we would have been refinanced, or gone into administration.

Imagine THAT UNDER ROY.

Shite thread, thank you and good night.
    Or if they spent the 70million properly, rafa would still be at the club and competing for the top 4.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:01 am

What a plank.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm