Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Childish Logic
masutora
Sean
Mal
Cornholio
The Stig
dena
Jamie
Lux
13 posters

Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal Empty Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

Post by Lux Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:58 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9276343.stm

Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal Qatar%20Foundation

Barcelona have ended their 111-year history of refusing commercial shirt sponsorship by signing a record £125m deal with the Qatar Foundation.
    The Catalan giants have paid to carry the Unicef logo for the last five years and the children's charity will share shirt space with the new sponsors.
    Barcelona have a sizeable debt but now claim to be "the undisputed brand leader in world football".
    The deal will be worth £25m a year from next season through until 2016.
    In July, an audit revealed Barcelona's debt to be £369.5m after a loss of more than £64.36m in the 2009/10 season.
    The new sponsorship arrangement could free up some transfer funds for coach Pep Guardiola - who worked as an ambassador for Qatar's successful bid to host the 2022 World Cup.
    The Qatar Foundation is a non-profit organisation concerned primarily with education projects in the Middle East.
    It is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned, the wife of the Emir, who was central to Qatar's final World Cup bid last week.
    Senior club executives said the deal was a "remarkable milestone because it represents a record level of revenue for a football club and has more value still in the current economic climate".
    Manchester United and Real Madrid both earn a little over £20m a year for their rights, while Bayern Munich make closer to £23m.
    Marketing experts will seek to find a way for both logos to be displayed on the Barcelona shirts, although if that is not possible the Unicef name will take priority.

That's an extra star every year :affraid:
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal Empty Re: Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

Post by Jamie Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:11 am

Shame. Sad
    dena
    dena

Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal Empty Re: Barcelona & Qatar Foundation agree £125m shirt deal

Post by dena Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 am

They were never going to keep Unicef forever, no surprise. How are they going to share sponsors though? Gonna look like some South American teams. Laughing
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post by The Stig Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:28 am

Mean bastards making a non-profit organisation pay for shirt sponsorship
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:30 am

The Stig wrote:Mean bastards making a non-profit organisation pay for shirt sponsorship

The Catalan giants have paid to carry the Unicef logo

Neutral
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post by The Stig Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:31 am

The Qatar Foundation is a non-profit organisation concerned primarily with education projects in the Middle East.

Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 am

The Stig wrote:

Neutral

Embarassed
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:34 am

Money grabbing honkies.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:36 am

A Qatari non-profit organization is like... jumbo shrip. Oxymoron.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:37 am

Why would a non-profit organisation pay £125 to advertise?

Weird. Neutral
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:59 am

Mal wrote:Why would a non-profit organisation pay £125 to advertise?

Weird. Neutral

Non-profit organisations need to expand too.

You can have a non-profit organisation running in your basement. To expand you need more people to know of your cause.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:06 am

Damn Qataries..

That's all I have to say.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:12 am

Sean CFC wrote:Damn Qataries..

That's all I have to say.

Yeh, Bastards trying to take over the world Gun 2
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:15 am

The Stig wrote:Mean bastards making a non-profit organisation pay for shirt sponsorship

They didn't MAKE them pay. The foundation offered Barca lots of money and it was too good to turn down especially with their poor financials lately. You can't blame Barca for doing that.
    The Stig
    The Stig

Post by The Stig Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:37 am

So you think it's OK they let a charity pay them for sponsorship instead of the other way around like they did with UNICEF?
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:10 am

It's not like they force the charity to so yes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:18 am

They needed the money, I heard Barca are in massive debt.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:23 am

Bogdan wrote:They needed the money, I heard Barca are in massive debt.

Ditto.
    masutora
    masutora

Supports : Yes

Post by masutora Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:24 am

Barca shirts will look like those Nascar driver outfits soon.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 am

The Stig wrote:So you think it's OK they let a charity pay them for sponsorship instead of the other way around like they did with UNICEF?

I'm sorry. I missed the news article about Sandro Rosell putting a gun to the head of the Qatari Foundation and telling them to pay them money. Rolling Eyes

Barca payed UNICEF to put them on their jersey and they are still going to keep them on the jersey. Qatari Foundation came along and offered a deal that Barca couldn't turn down. What would you do if you were in their shoes? Remember that Barca in a lot of debt and with new UEFA financial restrictions around the corner, Barca have no other choice but to accept the deal or face the prospect of not taking part in European competitions.

Why should it matter if the Qatari foundation is a non-profit organization or not? They are trying to advertise their foundation and there is no better place than to place it on the Barca jersey.

People wouldn't be making such a fuss if it wasn't Barca or a Qatari foundation. Seems like people are jealous of both these days.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 am

it wouldn't be a big deal if it was someone other than barca. I understand why Barcelona took the deal but i am really disappointed, Wasn't Barcelona meant to be better than the other clubs? The one club that was more than just a club?

Yet as i said before i understand why Barcelona took the deal and if i was Barcelona supporter i would be fuming over this. There goes a big part of Barcelona history.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:10 am

NZG wrote:it wouldn't be a big deal if it was someone other than barca. I understand why Barcelona took the deal but i am really disappointed, Wasn't Barcelona meant to be better than the other clubs? The one club that was more than just a club?

Yet as i said before i understand why Barcelona took the deal and if i was Barcelona supporter i would be fuming over this. There goes a big part of Barcelona history.

That bullshit. Just because their motto says "Més que un club", everyone places a halo over Barca's logo. Accepting a financial deal that will uphold Barca's tradition of playing the type of football they do, entertaining their fans, and winning competitions doesn't make them less than what they stand for. Barca wouldn't be doing their motto any good if they had debts exceeding 50% of their net worth.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:28 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    NZG wrote:it wouldn't be a big deal if it was someone other than barca. I understand why Barcelona took the deal but i am really disappointed, Wasn't Barcelona meant to be better than the other clubs? The one club that was more than just a club?

That bullshit. Just because their motto says "Més que un club", everyone places a halo over Barca's logo. Accepting a financial deal that will uphold Barca's tradition of playing the type of football they do, entertaining their fans, and winning competitions doesn't make them less than what they stand for. Barca wouldn't be doing their motto any good if they had debts exceeding 50% of their net worth.

An identifier for Athletic is the whole they only play players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs. Barcelona has many identifiers but an important one is the UNICEF logo. While i am not saying that Barcelona having a paying sponsor on their shirts is like Athletic playing Wayne Rooney, You have to realize that Barcelona are ripping one of their main identifiers away just because someone flashed a large amount of cash in front of their faces.

Barcelona pay a whole lot of wages if i am not mistaken. The players seem to love the club and i am sure they could of asked to lower the wages. Barcelona could of also not payed 40 million euros for villa.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 am

Tbh Barca brings it on themselves, with their bullshit holier than thou attitude.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:39 am

NZG wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

An identifier for Athletic is the whole they only play players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs. Barcelona has many identifiers but an important one is the UNICEF logo. While i am not saying that Barcelona having a paying sponsor on their shirts is like Athletic playing Wayne Rooney, You have to realize that Barcelona are ripping one of their main identifiers away just because someone flashed a large amount of cash in front of their faces.

Barcelona pay a whole lot of wages if i am not mistaken. The players seem to love the club and i am sure they could of asked to lower the wages. Barcelona could of also not payed 40 million euros for villa.

UNICEF is not an identifier for Barca. They only had them for a few years. And guess what? The UNICEF logo is still staying on the jersey. They even said, if they can't fit both logos, the UNICEF logo will get a preference over the Qatari foundation.

And speaking of Athletic Bilbao's Basque identifier, the club has had history of breaking it a few times. I'm sure the Barca faithful would love to see Barca taking part in UEFA competitions and staying financially stable rather than see one less logo on their jersey.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 am

i should of phrased it as the idea behind UNICEF being on the logo as an identifier. "The club which doesn't need a proper sponsor" It isn't about UNICEF directly, It is about the whole Barcelona having a paying sponsor on the shirt. As i said before, Barcelona taking the deal is basically like them ripping part of their history out. This to me also shows how football is all about the money nowadays.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:15 am

NZG wrote: i should of phrased it as the idea behind UNICEF being on the logo as an identifier. "The club which doesn't need a proper sponsor" It isn't about UNICEF directly, It is about the whole Barcelona having a paying sponsor on the shirt. As i said before, Barcelona taking the deal is basically like them ripping part of their history out. This to me also shows how football is all about the money nowadays.

Well times change. If football is about money these days, then so be it. You can't expect some clubs to somehow not follow that way because of their tradition or history. If Barca were to stick by their history and refuse sponsors, they will be in deep financial mess down the road.

Like I said, I'm sure the Barca fans would rather see their club financially stable and taking part in UEFA competitions than seeing their club fall behind because of some "tradition".
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:52 am

Sean CFC wrote:Tbh Barca brings it on themselves, with their bullshit holier than thou attitude.

Agreed, wouldn't be such a big deal if they weren't, Juventus and Munich have signed massive deals recently and there was no news over it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:54 am

If Messi gave a euro to Unicef everytime he farted while running they'd be rich anyway.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:06 am

Wish the Qatari's would fuck off and leave our football alone shifty

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:21 am