Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
North_Sea_Tiger
Sean
Cornholio
Ben
Keanoo
Barton
Danny
El Jefe
12 posters

Playoffs Idea.

Anonymous

Playoffs Idea. Empty Playoffs Idea.

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:17 am

This has probably been brought up a few times in the past, but I was wondering, you know how all the Leagues below the Premier league have playoffs to decide which team will be promoted? What if we implemented that idea into the Premier league for the Champions League spot?

1st, 2nd and 3rd place will confirm their place in the Champions League, whilst 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th placed teams will fight it out to book the remaining Champions League spot?

Just an idea. Could be exciting if it happened.

And for all you smart Alex's out there, no .. I'm not just saying this because I'm afraid Liverpool won't make 4th place.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Playoffs Idea. Empty Re: Playoffs Idea.

Post by El Jefe Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:18 am

It was widely debated a year or twp back, I remember them going round all the manager's asking their opinions, all the teams like Everton and Villa said yes because it their only way to the Champions League.

I would like it though
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:18 am

No........ Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:19 am

Danny B wrote:No........ Neutral

Care to elaborate?
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 am

This was debated acouple of years ago i think.

Yes it would be a good idea, but it would require a whole play-off system to be implemented which would need a neutral stadium (probably Wembley) for the final, and the FA would rather a team that finished 4th (Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool) represent England in the CL then a team like Fulham or Aston Villa be in it instead. Neutral

Last edited by JMB_94 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:21 am

rofl @ Liverpool fans saying yes, when 2-3 years ago they were saying no.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:22 am

No. It's fine the way it is. If you don't finish 4th, you don't deserve it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:22 am

Keanoo wrote:rofl @ Liverpool fans saying yes, when 2-3 years ago they were saying no.

I've never been against the idea.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:23 am

Mr. Ree wrote:

Care to elaborate?

I don't see what's really wrong with the current format. And most clubs go on about burnout, too many games etc.. and certainly the team finishing 4th (practically guaranteed a CL group stage spot tbh unless they get a horrible draw) would be against it as well.

EDIT: Oh, and would UEFA really go for it? Just in England for example, would you rather see a team like City in the CL, or Villa? Neutral
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 am

Just a money-making scheme. The team that gets fourth deserves to get the spot.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 am

Well it's even further from what the CHAMPIONS league should be. But if it halts City's path to domination then I'm for it.

But I also think it would push the league towards a big three (even though it's basically a big two* atm).

* Big two Laughing
    Sean

Post by Sean Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 am

Nah

I'd prefer what Germany do in regards to relegation where the team that finishes 3rd last plays the team that finished 3rd top in the second division.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:30 am

Danny B wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Care to elaborate?

I don't see what's really wrong with the current format. And most clubs go on about burnout, too many games etc.. and certainly the team finishing 4th (practically guaranteed a CL group stage spot tbh unless they get a horrible draw) would be against it as well.

EDIT: Oh, and would UEFA really go for it? Just in England for example, would you rather see a team like City in the CL, or Villa? Neutral

Burnout is a ridiculous statement.

Football league play 46 league games
    PL play 38

So basically in the CL to catch up with the FL you need to play all group games + 1st knockout round. Are you telling me that your multi million pound players can't play 10 games extra a season?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:11 am

James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Care to elaborate?

PL play 38

So basically in the CL to catch up with the FL you need to play all group games + 1st knockout round. Are you telling me that your multi million pound players can't play 10 games extra a season?

Also including FA Cup/League Cup and international fixtures all of which are more intense (no offence) than the Championship.

There's a jump between the two. It's like me saying, I play football four times a week, and some footballer can't even play twice, what's wrong with them?. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:24 am

Dan wrote:No. It's fine the way it is. If you don't finish 4th, you don't deserve it.

This.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:25 am

Dan wrote:
    James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Care to elaborate?

PL play 38

Also including FA Cup/League Cup and international fixtures all of which are more intense (no offence) than the Championship.

There's a jump between the two. It's like me saying, I play football four times a week, and some footballer can't even play twice, what's wrong with them?. Neutral

More intense? Have you seen Championship football much? It is faster than PL.. In the PL you get time on the ball... in the Championship you don't.

Like I say though... these players who cost 10x as much as a Championship footballer and earn 5x as much should be able to play 60 games a season.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:27 am

James wrote:
    Dan wrote:
    James wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Care to elaborate?

PL play 38

More intense? Have you seen Championship football much? It is faster than PL.. In the PL you get time on the ball... in the Championship you don't.

Like I say though... these players who cost 10x as much as a Championship footballer and earn 5x as much should be able to play 60 games a season.

You're against better players in the Premier League, which in turn, will make the games more intense and physically and mentally demanding. The Championship is a high level, but obviously don't have the players like the Premier League.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 am

Fuck that, whoever finishes 4th should be in the Champions League.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 am

Sean CFC wrote:Nah

I'd prefer what Germany do in regards to relegation where the team that finishes 3rd last plays the team that finished 3rd top in the second division.

We do it in Poland as well, it's actually quite shit IMO.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Playing against players doesn't make it more physically demanding. Despite what Fifa says, physical players are spread out along all leagues, not just the top ones. The fact that the Championship is faster and more intense than the PL would make it harder to play 90 minutes than in the PL.
    North_Sea_Tiger
    North_Sea_Tiger

Supports : The Famous Glasgow Rangers

Post by North_Sea_Tiger Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Stupid idea. Teams get in the top 4 through merit. They get there due to a season of hard work. Would be stupid and unfair to take that away from them and give a team from 7th or 8th a chance to get there
    Torresxvilla
    Torresxvilla

Post by Torresxvilla Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 pm

A team that finishes 6-7th doesn't deserve the chance.

An 1 match playoff for 4th+5th would make more sense. Don't see why we need to change the current system though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Torresxvilla wrote:A team that finishes 6-7th doesn't deserve the chance.

An 1 match playoff for 4th+5th would make more sense. Don't see why we need to change the current system though.

But surely in this case we should scrap playoffs through the leagues?

Championship top 3 go up
    League 1 top 3 go up
    League 2 top 4 go up

It would make it boring if this happened though.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Arsene Wenger actually said something good on this. Why have a playoff for the fourth spot when England are not always guaranteed that 4th entry in to the Champions League? If we have a team every year getting knocked out in the group stage or qualifying rounds our ranking points for Europe would go down and 4th place would become a Europa League spot. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 pm

James wrote:More intense? Have you seen Championship football much? It is faster than PL.. In the PL you get time on the ball... in the Championship you don't.

What complete and utter tripe.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:15 am

Mr. Ree wrote:
    James wrote:More intense? Have you seen Championship football much? It is faster than PL.. In the PL you get time on the ball... in the Championship you don't.

Do you watch Championship football consistently? If that was the case then you would know I am 100% correct.

I'll admit the mental side is harder in the PL because of the amount of pressure that is heaped on players to stay in that league or reach other targets. Physical side isn't as demanding as the Football League.
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:39 am

The team with the nicest manager goes through Neutral
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 am

James wrote:
    Torresxvilla wrote:A team that finishes 6-7th doesn't deserve the chance.

But surely in this case we should scrap playoffs through the leagues?

Championship top 3 go up
    League 1 top 3 go up
    League 2 top 4 go up

It would make it boring if this happened though.

too much money would be lost
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:55 am

James wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Do you watch Championship football consistently? If that was the case then you would know I am 100% correct.

I'll admit the mental side is harder in the PL because of the amount of pressure that is heaped on players to stay in that league or reach other targets. Physical side isn't as demanding as the Football League.

Yes.

I see more of the NPower League 1 but yes, I see a lot of Championship football.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:52 am

Mr. Ree wrote:
    James wrote:
    Mr. Ree wrote:

Yes.

I see more of the NPower League 1 but yes, I see a lot of Championship football.

You would see that it is faster than the PL and you get less time on the ball to prove that fact. Hence the reason PL teams find it hard when getting relegated cos the players are used to the less physical and slower game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:39 am