Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
vel
Keyser Söze
Glen Miller
Zzonked
Theo Filippo
Scuba Steve
ResurrectionRooney
11 posters

FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014 Empty FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Fifa world men's player of the year shortlist:Gareth Bale (Wales, Real Madrid), Karim Benzema (France, Real Madrid), Diego Costa (Spain, Chelsea), Thibaut Courtois (Belgium, Chelsea), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid), Angel Di Maria (Argentina, Manchester United), Mario Gotze (Germany, Bayern Munich), Eden Hazard (Belgium, Chelsea), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, Paris St-Germain), Andres Iniesta (Spain, Barcelona), Toni Kroos (Germany, Real Madrid), Philipp Lahm (Germany, Bayern Munich), Javier Mascherano (Argentina, Barcelona), Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona), Thomas Muller (Germany, Bayern Munich), Manuel Neuer (Germany, Bayern Munich), Neymar (Brazil, Barcelona), Paul Pogba (France, Juventus), Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid), Arjen Robben (Netherlands, Bayern Munich), James Rodriguez (Colombia, Real Madrid), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany, Bayern Munich), Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast, Manchester City).

Fifa coach of the year shortlist: Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid), Antonio Conte (Juventus/Italy national team), Pep Guardiola (Bayern Munich), Jurgen Klinsmann (USA national team), Joachim Low (Germany national team), Jose Mourinho (Chelsea), Manuel Pellegrini (Manchester City), Alejandro Sabella (Argentina national team), Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid), Louis van Gaal (Netherlands national team/Manchester United).

Good decisions excluding that monster Luis Suarez and the abysmal Brendan Rodgers.   Crazy to think that Liverpool fans managed to convince half the country that Rodgers was some kind of mastermind and Suarez a world class footballer.

Last edited by ResurrectionRooney on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014 Empty Re: FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:24 am

Good look on the copy and paste job and formatting it. 

Hard to imagine why Klinsmann is on there. He won one of his four competitive games this year, which for most people isn't that good. He barely survived a group that he really shouldn't have had that much trouble with, and then his team got bludgeoned in the Round of 16. Personnel wise, he made a hash of the decisions with the team he took to Brazil. No backup plan if Jozy got injured, and he did. Left Donovan at home, when he really was needed (best we looked all year was the 40 minutes against Ecuador that Donovan played). Got overrun in midfield against Germany and Belgium while never getting Diskerud off the bench.

Then waited and waited to use his third and final sub against Belgium because he was worried about a potential injury, which made his substitution of Green appear to be giving up, even if he thought that was his best chance to getting back into the game. 

And yet, there are plenty of people within US Soccer who have said he has earn this nomination, and say that if you disagree with it, you're a JK hater, and that we should be more excited that someone from our federation got nominated for something like this. Because I argued with a lot of those people last night over these, and now I feel as dumb as when I read RR argue for a year that Berbatov was the best striker in the world.

And to think that Klinsmann got nominated over Jorge Luis Pinto is just mind boggling. Talk about someone deserving to get recognition.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014 Empty Re: FIFA Ballon d'Or and Coach of the Year 2014

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:36 am

A group of Germany, Portugal and Ghana is one he shouldn't have much trouble with? Laughing
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:46 am

Not this year's versions of Portugal and Ghana. Of course we weren't going to beat Germany either, but not registering a shot on target in 90 minutes isn't quite what JK said he set out to do when he was hired.

Portugal, as you may recall, did lose at home to Albania in Euro qualifying. So I'm not sure why they're made out to be the world beaters that some claim they are. Maybe because of their FIFA ranking? I don't know, you tell me.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:54 am

Nobody is claiming that they're world beaters.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:01 am

I feel like Mourinho is only on there because of reputation. He's had a good start this seasons first 9 games but last season he won nothing.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:08 am

Scuba Steve wrote:.
    And yet, there are plenty of people within US Soccer who have said he has earn this nomination, and say that if you disagree with it, you're a JK hater, and that we should be more excited that someone from our federation got nominated for something like this. Because I argued with a lot of those people last night over these, and now I feel as dumb as when I read RR argue for a year that Berbatov was the best striker in the world.

And to think that Klinsmann got nominated over Jorge Luis Pinto is just mind boggling. Talk about someone deserving to get recognition.

That wasn't me, that was LiamB.

Zzonked wrote:I feel like Mourinho is only on there because of reputation. He's had a good start this seasons first 9 games but last season he won nothing.

He obliterated Liverpool's dreams, gave Arsene Wenger new nightmares and reached the UCL Semis with a team who had previously gone out in the group stage despite selling his best player. This summer he transformed them into a phenomenal side who are likely to walk the league despite having the fourth largest wage budget. Over the calendar year I expect they've got the most points in the Premier League. He has done fantastic work, much better than that fucking chancer Ancelotti, the only person who comes close is Diego Someone.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:12 am

Just because he upset a few people that you don't like doesn't really justify it.  I guess he should be nominated, but he actually finished behind the abysmal Rodgers (whose side had finished 8th the season before) and got destroyed by Simeone and Atletico in the semi-finals.  I don't really like him as a person or a manager, but Simeone really deserves to win it.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:20 am

Glen Miller wrote:Just because he upset a few people that you don't like doesn't really justify it.  I guess he should be nominated, but he actually finished behind the abysmal Rodgers (whose side had finished 8th the season before) and got destroyed by Simeone and Atletico in the semi-finals.  I don't really like him as a person or a manager, but Simeone really deserves to win it.

Im almost certain he has more points in the Premier League over the calendar year than Rodgers, and it's based on the calendar year rather than the previous season. The work he did in summer was absolutely exceptional and he's built a fantastic side with little cash. I'd say Simeone deserves it but Mourinho would be a close second.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 am

I think he earned 42 in the end of last season and 23 so far this season.
    City earned 45 and 17.
    Liverpool earned 48 and 14. 

He's earned 3 more points than Manchester City and Liverpool, achieving less than the former.  Simeone accomplished more and his "little cash" case actually has some value, as his squad wasn't worth anywhere near as much as the Chelsea side Mourinho inherited and was able to wheel & deal (with some ridiculous windfalls from desperate clubs) with.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 am

For the calendar year 2013 Arsenal comfortably amassed the most PL points but Wenger was never nominated.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:43 am

Keyser Söze wrote:For the calendar year 2013 Arsenal comfortably amassed the most PL points but Wenger was never nominated.

It doesn't count when it's only because of easier fixtures.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:51 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Scuba Steve wrote:.

That wasn't me, that was LiamB.

Zzonked wrote:I feel like Mourinho is only on there because of reputation. He's had a good start this seasons first 9 games but last season he won nothing.

He obliterated Liverpool's dreams, gave Arsene Wenger new nightmares and reached the UCL Semis with a team who had previously gone out in the group stage despite selling his best player. This summer he transformed them into a phenomenal side who are likely to walk the league despite having the fourth largest wage budget.  Over the calendar year I expect they've got the most points in the Premier League.  He has done fantastic work, much better than that fucking chancer Ancelotti, the only person who comes close is Diego Someone.

My apologies. I knew it didn't sound right as I typed it. The brain is starting to fail me.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:04 am

Keyser Söze wrote:For the calendar year 2013 Arsenal comfortably amassed the most PL points but Wenger was never nominated.

It doesn't count when it's only because of easier fixtures.

In the 2013 calendar year Arsenal played.

Chelsea
    City
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    United
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    United
    City
    Chelsea

In the same year Chelsea played:

Arsenal
    City
    Liverpool
    United
    Spurs
    United
    Spurs
    City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

They're identical fixtures.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:16 am

Home or away? It makes a big difference.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 am

Both played each other home and away.
    Both played City home and away.
    Arsenal played United home and away but both Chelsea's games for were away.
    Arsenal played Liverpool home twice but Chelsea played them home and away.
    Both played Spurs home and away.

Doesn't make up the points difference.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 am

Sergio Ramos best CB in the world
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:11 am

Keyser Söze wrote:Both played each other home and away.
    Both played City home and away.
    Arsenal played United home and away but both Chelsea's games for were away.
    Arsenal played Liverpool home twice but Chelsea played them home and away.
    Both played Spurs home and away.

Doesn't make up the points difference.

Fair enough, but I think what you have to consider is that Wenger didn't actually achieve anything that year whereas Mourinho was the pivotal figure in English football. He defined the seasons of United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City and the latter half of Wenger's career. What did Wenger do in 2013 of any note? Nothing. In 2014 Mourinho also hugely enhanced his team whereas in 2013 Wenger signed a load of shit players and nobodies then spunked over £40m on a panic buy.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 am

The Ballon d'Or will go to either Ronaldo or Messi. Can't see it going to anyone else.

Low will probably win coach of the year.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:37 am

FCB wrote:The Ballon d'Or will go to either Ronaldo or Messi. Can't see it going to anyone else.

Brave calls.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am

Simeone deserves it tbh, but I doubt he'll win.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Simeone deserves coach of the year

In a dream world Neuer would get Ballon d'Or
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

FCB wrote:The Ballon d'Or will go to either Ronaldo or Messi. Can't see it going to anyone else.

Dry Smile

Jurgen nominated over the dude who managed Costa Rica? Ha.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:30 am

Brave calls.

I don't like betting on risky outcomes. 

dena wrote:

Dry Smile

Jurgen nominated over the dude who managed Costa Rica? Ha.

What? We all know Messi is going to finish at least second in the voting. He finished a close second last year and this year has been arguably better.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:06 pm

WHY CANT YOU BE MORE SUPPORTIVE OF JURGEN AND US SOCCER, DENA?? At least, those were the counter arguments I got the other night.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Good question to be honest.  There are people who I'd like to be stood next to if I were ever in the trenches and people with your attitude would not be among them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 pm