Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
SophisticatedBeggar
dena
Childish Logic
Dagbon
Jordi
ResurrectionRooney
Jordan Henderchip
FCB
Sean
Moose
Grenade
Stranger
Free_Mustache_Rides
SBSP
Zzonked
The Zlatan
Theo Filippo
El_indian
Scott_LFC
Ra's al Ghul
Keyser Söze
Glen Miller
26 posters

Chat Thread

Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Chat Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Chat Thread

Post by Jordi Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Zzonked wrote:Found dis old thing.

Chat Thread - Page 4 AlienatedHauntingAmericancreamdraft

rofl

VivaRooney was a complete tool, whatever happened to him?
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

I think he's on EA now.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:40 pm

He's acting like a spastic on there, but the Manchester United fans seem to love him and think he's some sort of genius.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 am

Glen Miller wrote:He's acting like a spastic on there, but the Manchester United fans seem to love him and think he's some sort of genius.
    You just need to quote his posts and reply with a "Laughing"
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:59 am

Glen can you please help me Smile
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 am

Glen Miller wrote:He's acting like a spastic on there, but the Manchester United fans seem to love him and think he's some sort of genius.

It's probably like if a monkey throws shit at someone all the other monkeys have a good chuckle, but if you're watching this as a proper gent it's not really funny to you, you need more refinement to the shit throwing before it's funny.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:07 am

Is that him? I was certain it was Cr9boii shifty
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:26 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    Is that him? I was certain it was Cr9boii shifty

Is Cr9boii VivaRooney?
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 am

vel wrote:Glen can you please help me Smile
    I can try.  What is the issue?
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 am

Zzonked wrote:

It's probably like if a monkey throws shit at someone all the other monkeys have a good chuckle, but if you're watching this as a proper gent it's not really funny to you, you need more refinement to the shit throwing before it's funny.
    I feel like this is spot on.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 am

SBSP wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

I feel like this is spot on.
    Agreed, +1 respect.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:55 am

Glen Miller wrote:
    vel wrote:Glen can you please help me Smile
    I can try.  What is the issue?
    What do you do to manage your time properly? I assume you're a model student so hopefully you can give me some tips.

There are 168 hours in a week.
    I sleep for 49 hours.
    I work for 24 hours.
    I have class for 18 hours.
    Transportation is probably about 10 hours.

That's 101/168 hours. The question now is, how can I use those other 67 hours in a productive way (i.e. socalising, studying, planning, doing assignments, etc) think
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:22 am

I'm actually reading "The 4 Hour Workweek" right now which is mostly about time management. I'll paraphrase a bit.

Two key things are the 80/20 rule and Parkinson's law. 

80/20 rule is the notion that 80% of the positive results you get come from 20% of the work you do. Basically you want to get rid of the 80% of shit you do that only gets 20% results. Parkinson's law is the rule that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". So if you set aside 4 hours to do something, it will take 4 hours.

Both principles work towards the same thing from opposite angles 1) Limit the tasks to the important to shorten the work time and 2) Shorten the work time to limit the tasks to the important.

So you're supposed to use both together, identify the key things that contribute most to progress then schedule them with very short and clear deadlines. It actually works too, I've tried it in practice and when I eliminated shit I could get roughly the same amount of stuff I could do in a day done in like an hour.

Don't set aside vague long periods for work and don't set aside shitty short blocks. Set aside 1-4 hours of work, stay concentrated in those periods and get everything done. It will be to a higher standard and over faster. People don't generally work well when they are given like 8 hour blocks, it's a waste of time. In that period they'll only do a few hours of good work, the rest will be shitty filler work that isn't worth the time. 

That's how you should approach studying imo. When the assigned time is over, move on to something else.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am

The problem I have is that I just can't find the will to fulfill those plans I make. I need to work under pressure to work effectively. I guess this is why I procrastinate, and often I do a very good job under pressure. But that was high school where you could scrub everything in class and do the work properly.

I used to do assignments regularly the night before it was due. But it obviously won't work in uni because you can't just scrub through classes unless they are poverty ones. I have a couple poverty classes but the rest will be challenging.

I think that if I stop working, I can set aside a lot of quality time I have in the evening (which is when I work) to actually study or review my schoolwork. But I need to make money to buy shit. I just spent $266 on jeans today Neutral

Is that a book? I'm considering getting one of those help books just to get some advice, might join the mentoring program to see if it helps as well. I want to do well, but I can't. facepalm
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 am

Yeah it's a book. I've not finished it yet, but I would recommend it so far. It made me reconsider how I do my work.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 am

Total waste of time and money those books. You either have self control or you don't, and that's dictated by a chemical in your brain that your rational mind has no impact on and that has been proven by scientists. If you are a fuck up now you're probably always going to be, no book you read is doing to alter your brain chemistry. Visit your doctor and ask for some drugs if you want to change.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am

Zzonked wrote:I'm actually reading "The 4 Hour Workweek" right now which is mostly about time management. I'll paraphrase a bit.

Two key things are the 80/20 rule and Parkinson's law. 

80/20 rule is the notion that 80% of the positive results you get come from 20% of the work you do. Basically you want to get rid of the 80% of shit you do that only gets 20% results. Parkinson's law is the rule that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". So if you set aside 4 hours to do something, it will take 4 hours.

Both principles work towards the same thing from opposite angles 1) Limit the tasks to the important to shorten the work time and 2) Shorten the work time to limit the tasks to the important.

So you're supposed to use both together, identify the key things that contribute most to progress then schedule them with very short and clear deadlines. It actually works too, I've tried it in practice and when I eliminated shit I could get roughly the same amount of stuff I could do in a day done in like an hour.

Don't set aside vague long periods for work and don't set aside shitty short blocks. Set aside 1-4 hours of work, stay concentrated in those periods and get everything done. It will be to a higher standard and over faster. People don't generally work well when they are given like 8 hour blocks, it's a waste of time. In that period they'll only do a few hours of good work, the rest will be shitty filler work that isn't worth the time. 

That's how you should approach studying imo. When the assigned time is over, move on to something else.

This is pretty much how I work, 8-11:30 is spent doing the work that's laid out for me. After lunch is pretty much browsing forums (exhibit A) and handling personal stuff.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 am

I find a lot of self help books main message can be found in a quick synopsis, but obviously that doesn't sell a book so alot of it ends up as filler. Is this book actually worth reading?
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:31 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Total waste of time and money those books. You either have self control or you don't, and that's dictated by a chemical in your brain that your rational mind has no impact on and that has been proven by scientists.  If you are a fuck up now you're probably always going to be, no book you read is doing to alter your brain chemistry. Visit your doctor and ask for some drugs if you want to change.
    what drugs
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Total waste of time and money those books. You either have self control or you don't, and that's dictated by a chemical in your brain that your rational mind has no impact on and that has been proven by scientists.  If you are a fuck up now you're probably always going to be, no book you read is doing to alter your brain chemistry. Visit your doctor and ask for some drugs if you want to change.

lmao

Sean wrote:I find a lot of self help books main message can be found in a quick synopsis, but obviously that doesn't sell a book so alot of it ends up as filler. Is this book actually worth reading?

I think you're probably right about the message being in the synopsis, the book itself actually kinda says that. I don't think it's got much filler in though, there's quite a lot of different concepts. There are a few examples, which is probably the only thing that could be considered filler.

It's kinda oriented towards business though, but it applies to other stuff.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 am

what kind of drugs can i get to help me
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 am

Opium.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 am

Meth.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 am

vel wrote:
    what drugs
    Ritalin.
    Zzonked wrote:

lmao

What's funny?
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 am

these 2 are top books:

http://calnewport.com/books/straight-a-student/
    http://calnewport.com/books/how-to-win-at-college/
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 am

Well firstly the book isn't really about self control. It's not about working harder or for longer periods, it's about getting the most out of the time you do work. If anything it probably requires less self control, because it's setting out a model for like 2-3 hours of work a day rather than the standard 8 hours. 

But I also think you're kind of dealing in absolutes there too. Brain chemistry is a long way from fully understood. If you have that study that proves self control is dictated by chemicals that only drugs can effect I would like to read it. I know for sure there isn't a "chemical" singular that dictates your self control though, because I can think of at least 2 neurotransmitters off the top of my head that control your attention/learning and I bet there's more.

Stimulants might be an option for some people, but I think it's very extreme to not see a middle ground where someone can improve the way the work without them. Don't get me wrong, I love playing around with drugs that change my brain chemistry just as much as the next guy, but there are other options.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 am

Oh and stuff other than drugs can change your brain chemistry too. Kinda ignorant to say "no book is going to change your brain chemistry"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897704/

Aerobic exercise training is associated with modest improvements in attention and processing speed, executive function, and memory, although the effects of exercise on working memory are less consistent.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:25 am

where do you work Zzonked?
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 am

Still at uni doing my masters degree atm, got about 2 weeks until my last deadline. okay
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 am

Zzonked wrote:Well firstly the book isn't really about self control. It's not about working harder or for longer periods, it's about getting the most out of the time you do work. If anything it probably requires less self control, because it's setting out a model for like 2-3 hours of work a day rather than the standard 8 hours. 

But I also think you're kind of dealing in absolutes there too. Brain chemistry is a long way from fully understood. If you have that study that proves self control is dictated by chemicals that only drugs can effect I would like to read it. I know for sure there isn't a "chemical" singular that dictates your self control though, because I can think of at least 2 neurotransmitters off the top of my head that control your attention/learning and I bet there's more.

Stimulants might be an option for some people, but I think it's very extreme to not see a middle ground where someone can improve the way the work without them. Don't get me wrong, I love playing around with drugs that change my brain chemistry just as much as the next guy, but there are other options.

Oh yeah, all it requires is for you to stay totally concentrated on one task for 1-4 hours. Self control is an absolute requisite for doing that. It wouldn't surprise me if you have an unusually high level of it given your academic credentials, but not everyone is like that.

I don't know if you've ever read Pinker but I'd highly recommend his book The Blank Slate for a view of this subject. It's one of two books he's written that have completely changed the way I see the world and shattered a lot of misconceptions I had. As a personal hero of mine he's part of an elite band known as ResurrectionRooney's Exceptional Intellectuals. Self control isn't something you can just will yourself to have, it's something you are physically capable of. Change the chemistry and you change the capability, leave the chemistry the same and any improvements you make will be marginal at best.

Of course there are ways of improving how you work.

Zzonked wrote:Oh and stuff other than drugs can change your brain chemistry too. Kinda ignorant to say "no book is going to change your brain chemistry"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897704/

Aerobic exercise training is associated with modest improvements in attention and processing speed, executive function, and memory, although the effects of exercise on working memory are less consistent.

Sure other stuff can change your brain, but books can't unless you get hit in the head with one at very high speed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:01 am