Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
dena
Zzonked
SBSP
7 posters

Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS

Anonymous

Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS Empty Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robbie Rogers is joining the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer in another step by openly gay athletes in professional sports.

He told The Associated Press his fears about returning to soccer were eased by the strong support he received from family, fans and players, including Galaxy star Landon Donovan. Now Rogers is ready to accept his role as the league's first openly gay player.

"I don't know what I was so afraid of," Rogers said Friday. "It's been such a positive experience for me. The one thing I've learned from all of this is being gay is not that big of a deal to people."

"People are just really growing and accepting and loving," he added. "Those other things are just not that important to them. I think as the younger get older and the generations come and go, I think times are just becoming more accepting."

The 26-year-old player had retired in February on the same day the former U.S. national team player publicly came out in a blog post.
    Read more
    SBSP
    SBSP

Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS Empty Re: Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS

Post by SBSP Sun May 26, 2013 9:25 am

Good for him.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS Empty Re: Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS

Post by Glen Miller Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 am

So he never retired, then. I'm not liking this guy.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 am

I'm not sure how the Galaxy fans will feel about the move because fan favorite Mike Magee went the other way. (To Chicago)

Besides the novelty of saying "hey, L.A. is gay friendly." (Los Angeles also had the first openly gay baseball player in Glenn Burke) I'm not sure it was a good trade. Robbie Rodgers isn't all that in my opinion. Although, now that I think about it, with golden balls modeling somewhere in Paris or wherever he is now, they could use another "creator." How that'll work out is anyone's guess though.

This signing also makes my favorite nicknames for the Galaxy go from "childish" to "inappropriate."
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Mon May 27, 2013 8:52 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:I'm not sure how the Galaxy fans will feel about the move because fan favorite Mike Magee went the other way. (To Chicago)

Besides the novelty of saying "hey, L.A. is gay friendly." (Los Angeles also had the first openly gay baseball player in Glenn Burke) I'm not sure it was a good trade. Robbie Rodgers isn't all that in my opinion. Although, now that I think about it, with golden balls modeling somewhere in Paris or wherever he is now, they could use another "creator." How that'll work out is anyone's guess though.

This signing also makes my favorite nicknames for the Galaxy go from "childish" to "inappropriate."

When you said their favorite 'went the other way' I imagined that he came out as an openly straight footballer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 am

No, it was a straight player for player swap.

i see what you did t

Alright, I'll go away now. Coffee
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

I still don't know why Rogers 'retired' because he came out. Probably just wanted to get the fuck out of C-bus
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 am

dena wrote:I still don't know why Rogers 'retired' because he came out.
    Agreed. He just looks like an attention seeker now.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am

He wasn't going to be in Columbus when he came out. He retired because he lost the love for the game. Nothing wrong with that -- and nothing wrong with coming back. He lost the itch in England, easily understandable when you aren't playing, but rediscovered it when he came back home. I was happy for him Sunday night, just can't wait for the day when an openly gay athlete doesn't have to be celebrated as such.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

He should have just said that he was taking a break from the game. Nothing ruffles my feathers more than an athlete retiring for 2 weeks.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

Oh, you should have let him know how you feel. I bet he would have changed his ways then.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Oh, you should have let him know how you feel. I bet he would have changed his ways then.
    Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS 894246 The point of a football forum is to express your positive and negative opinions about topics. Your pitiful attempt at sarcasm could have been used in response to any post on any football forum on the internet.

I doubt that, had I given Mr. Rogers my brilliant advice, he would have changed his mind. I still have the right to an opinion, though. Openly gay footballer to come out of retirement and join MLS 894246
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am

Well, it's okay anyways, He was retired for much longer than two weeks, so he didn't ruffle your feathers.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu May 30, 2013 10:49 am

"2 weeks" was an example of meiosis. My feathers have been ruffled.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am

Do you usually say things you don't mean then?
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu May 30, 2013 10:54 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Do you usually say things you don't mean then?
    Yes. Lying in one’s own way is almost better than telling the truth in someone else’s way; in the first case you’re a man, and in the second — no better than a bird.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Though you could have just opted for the obvious, telling the truth in your own way.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

groce
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:He wasn't going to be in Columbus when he came out. He retired because he lost the love for the game. Nothing wrong with that -- and nothing wrong with coming back. He lost the itch in England, easily understandable when you aren't playing, but rediscovered it when he came back home. I was happy for him Sunday night, just can't wait for the day when an openly gay athlete doesn't have to be celebrated as such.
    Society has gone a long way.

It took an exceptional athlete, with a mild mannered demeanor and indomitable will to break the Baseball colorline.

Alaba v2
    Alaba v2

Supports : God

Post by Alaba v2 Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

what a faggot
    he should play tennis and suck some dicks in his spare time lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:31 am