Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Trent
SBSP
Gegilworld93
7 posters

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.

Anonymous

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.  Empty UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 pm

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.  Antonio-Cassano-008

Antonio Cassano said he hoped there were
    no gays in the Italy dressing room during a press conference in Krakow
    for Euro 2012. Photograph: Claudio Villa/Getty Images

The Milan striker Antonio Cassano has received a €15,000 (£11,700) fine from Uefa for a discriminatory statement he made while with Italy at Euro 2012.
    Cassano caused uproar when he said he hoped there were no gay players in the national team squad in Poland and Ukraine.
    He
    later said his comments had been misinterpreted and did not want to
    cause offence but Uefa has taken a dim view of his outburst.
    "The
    Uefa Control and Disciplinary Body has fined Italy's Antonio Cassano
    €15,000 for a discriminatory press statement during Euro 2012," said a
    statement on the Uefa website. "An appeal can be lodged against this
    decision within three days of the dispatch of the full written
    decision."
    Cassano had responded to questions about reports in Italy which claimed there were two gay players in Cesare Prandelli's squad.
    "The
    coach had warned me that you would ask me this question," Cassano said.
    "If I say what I think … I hope there are none. But if there are queers
    here, that's their business."
    Cassano quickly apologised for his
    comments the following day. "I sincerely regret that my statements have
    sparked controversy and protest from gay rights groups," he said.
    "Homophobia is a sentiment that is not mine. I did not want to offend
    anyone and I can not question the sexual freedom of other people. I only
    said that it is a problem that does not concern me and it is not for me
    to pass judgment on the choices of others, who are all respected."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/20/antonio-cassano-fined-uefa-gay-players?newsfeed=true

I like the picture of Mr. Cassano they chose to use. Really embodies the sort of attitude a professional footballer who has the kind of salary Mr. Cassano has, would take when told about the amount he is going to be fined with.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.  Empty Re: UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.

Post by Gegilworld93 Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:07 pm

He also looks kinda gay on the picture shifty
    SBSP
    SBSP

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.  Empty Re: UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.

Post by SBSP Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Don't know why they asked him the question in the first place.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 pm

He's gay, he's bent, his arse is up for rent. Suspect
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 pm

He deserves the fine I guess.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Ché Guayaba wrote:

UEFA fines Antonio Cassano for homophobic remarks.  Antonio-Cassano-008

Antonio Cassano said he hoped there were
    no gays in the Italy dressing room during a press conference in Krakow
    for Euro 2012. Photograph: Claudio Villa/Getty Images

The Milan striker Antonio Cassano has received a €15,000 (£11,700) fine from Uefa for a discriminatory statement he made while with Italy at Euro 2012.
    Cassano caused uproar when he said he hoped there were no gay players in the national team squad in Poland and Ukraine.
    He
    later said his comments had been misinterpreted and did not want to
    cause offence but Uefa has taken a dim view of his outburst.
    "The
    Uefa Control and Disciplinary Body has fined Italy's Antonio Cassano
    €15,000 for a discriminatory press statement during Euro 2012," said a
    statement on the Uefa website. "An appeal can be lodged against this
    decision within three days of the dispatch of the full written
    decision."
    Cassano had responded to questions about reports in Italy which claimed there were two gay players in Cesare Prandelli's squad.
    "The
    coach had warned me that you would ask me this question," Cassano said.
    "If I say what I think … I hope there are none. But if there are queers
    here, that's their business."
    Cassano quickly apologised for his
    comments the following day. "I sincerely regret that my statements have
    sparked controversy and protest from gay rights groups," he said.
    "Homophobia is a sentiment that is not mine. I did not want to offend
    anyone and I can not question the sexual freedom of other people. I only
    said that it is a problem that does not concern me and it is not for me
    to pass judgment on the choices of others, who are all respected."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/20/antonio-cassano-fined-uefa-gay-players?newsfeed=true

I like the picture of Mr. Cassano they chose to use. Really embodies the sort of attitude a professional footballer who has the kind of salary Mr. Cassano has, would take when told about the amount he is going to be fined with.

"There are supposedly 2 secretly homosexual players in Prandelli's squad"

"I hope not, but if there are then that's their business"

How is that homophobic?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:54 am

Laurencio wrote:
    Ché Guayaba wrote:

"There are supposedly 2 secretly homosexual players in Prandelli's squad"

"I hope not, but if there are then that's their business"

How is that homophobic?
    Totally agreed.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:11 am

Not sure how you can't see someone saying that they wish there weren't any homosexuals in the squad could be seen as homophobic.

Just imagine if John Terry said he hoped their weren't any Black folk in the English squad and the reaction he'd get.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 am

He's allowed to say it because he's a stereotypical, charismatic, hot-headed, loveable and morally ambiguous Italian.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:26 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:Not sure how you can't see someone saying that they wish there weren't any homosexuals in the squad could be seen as homophobic.

Just imagine if John Terry said he hoped their weren't any Black folk in the English squad and the reaction he'd get.

Word for word he did not say that. When asked about supposed secretly gay players he answered that he hopes there aren't, but if there are then it's their business. Granted he used a fairly ill chosen word to describe a homosexual, but in no way does that, word for word constitute homophobia. The fact that he openly says "if there is then that's their business" is more of an expression of acceptance and toleration than phobia.

Also, if John Terry was asked about secretly black people and responded with "I hope not, but if there are then that's their business" that would be the most ridiculous interview ever printed.
    Cam
    Cam

Supports : Liverpool Football Club

Post by Cam Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:35 am

He probably meant 'I hope not' like he hopes that if there were any gay players, they wouldn't be secretive about it shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am

first pirlo, now cassasno Rolling Eyes homophobic italians

shifty
    Juventino
    Juventino

Supports : Llorente

Post by Juventino Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 am

I'm not sure why certain members of the media obsess about a footballer's sexual orientation. What footballers do in the privacy of their own home is their business. It's as if some of them want the players to come out. Maybe the players want people out of their sex lives? I wonder if that thought has occurred to the press.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:40 am

Juventino wrote:I'm not sure why certain members of the media obsess about a footballer's sexual orientation. What footballers do in the privacy of their own home is their business. It's as if some of them want the players to come out. Maybe the players want people out of their sex lives? I wonder if that thought has occurred to the press.

Media loves to make controversy out of it as well. Remember Lippi's comments a few years back? "I have never managed anyone who were openly homosexual, but I have seen a few who seemed like they might have been". People were furious at him for that, claiming he was stereotyping homosexuals. Another, forget who, said that there were no homosexuals in football, he also had media and interests groups hounding him. Or the "I have never managed a homosexual footballer" comments made by Capello ( I think it was him anyway). Lots of people were angry with him for that as well claiming he wouldn't be able to tell anyway, so he couldn't know.

No matter what you say, someone is going to make a big fuss about it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:28 am

GAYS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:34 am