Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
jeb4eva
Kelloggg8
ayvee1
dena
menalawyerguy
Kuled
Theo Filippo
Ra's al Ghul
Ben 10
Jord
ResurrectionRooney
15 posters

Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship Empty Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 pm

I reckon UEFA should do this instead of expanding to 24 teams. It would be a much better tournament with a couple more top quality teams in it instead of the likes of the Ukraine and the Czech Republic. Could even supplant the World Cup as the foremost football tournament.

Are there any good arguments against this? Other than ridiculous semantic ones of course.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship Empty Re: Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship

Post by Jord Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Uruguay are currently a better and more interesting team than Brazil and Argentina. I say substitute Argentina for Uruguay.
    Anonymous

Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship Empty Re: Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I agree it works well in the Copa America, but don't have two fixed teams.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Would be ridiculous because it's the EUROPEAN Championships, it gives EUROPEAN teams a chance to qualify.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:01 pm

No, because they probably wouldn't take it very seriously and they would send several under-21 players like Costa Rica and Mexico did at the last Copa America. And if they did bring their best players then many of them won't get adequate rest due to potentially participating in four summer competitions in consecutive years. I don't think the club teams who employ them would appreciate that.

Last edited by BladeGunner on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Jord wrote:Uruguay are currently a better and more interesting team than Brazil and Argentina. I say substitute Argentina for Uruguay.
    Only more interesting to you because of Suarez, I don't see how to the neutral they are more interesting than a team that has the best player in the world who apparently can't perform without Xavi and Iniesta while also Neymar who hasn't 'proven' himself outside of Brazil.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:12 pm

facepalm
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Japan were invited to the Copa right? It doesn't make sense, I don't like the idea.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Ben 10 wrote:Would be ridiculous because it's the EUROPEAN Championships, it gives EUROPEAN teams a chance to qualify.
    It would still be the European Championships because it would still be held in and organised by Europe. Israel's presence in UEFA provides a greater challenge to that.
    BladeGunner wrote:No, because they probably wouldn't take it very seriously and they would send several under-21 players like Costa Rica and Mexico did at the last Copa America. And if they did bring their best players then many of them won't get adequate rest due to potentially participating in four summer competitions in consecutive years. I don't think the club teams who employ them would appreciate that.
    If they didn't take it seriously then forget it, but their U-23s are playing in the Olympics in Euro years anyway. And fuck the clubs, they don't have a say in it.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 am

It would be better than expanding to 24 teams but I don't think they should do either. How would you determine which teams would get an invite? Also, would you be assured that those teams will be sending their best squads? They're more likely to focus their energy and resources on the Copa America and world cup qualifying.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:31 am

If CONMEBOL had 12 teams I doubt they would ever bring invites into the equation, it's stupid to expand the Euro's to 24 teams but inviting two South American teams is just as bad.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 am

menalawyerguy wrote:It would be better than expanding to 24 teams but I don't think they should do either. How would you determine which teams would get an invite?
    Ask UEFA's marketing department, or the TV companies.

Also, would you be assured that those teams will be sending their best squads? They're more likely to focus their energy and resources on the Copa America and world cup qualifying.

As I say, if they aren't going to send their top players then forget it. I think they would though, they're not going to send their U23s because the Olympics is always just after the Euros.
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:55 am

Don't really like the idea myself. European championship for European teams.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:06 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I reckon UEFA should do this instead of expanding to 24 teams. It would be a much better tournament with a couple more top quality teams in it instead of the likes of the Ukraine and the Czech Republic. Could even supplant the World Cup as the foremost football tournament.

Are there any good arguments against this? Other than ridiculous semantic ones of course.

What's wrong with the Czech Republic? They topped Group A.

Anyways, I don't like the idea at all. I don't like it when it happens in the Copa America, but it's kind of necessary because South America has only 10 teams.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:10 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Eh...somebody had to.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

Eh...somebody had to.

Yeah and not a bad team.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:18 am

They're not bad. But that is easily the weakest group in the tourny. They lost their opening game 4-1 and still went on to win the group. der fuq?
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:27 am

It's just fine the way it is. I don't think they should start inviting either of these teams...that's why we have the world cup.
    jeb4eva
    jeb4eva

Supports : Manchester United

Post by jeb4eva Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:30 am

ayvee1 wrote:Don't really like the idea myself. European championship for European teams.

This.

Anyway, the Euros expanding to 24 teams ensures that big teams like England don't miss out on the tournament anymore.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 am

I like the idea of expansion because alot of intriguing teams didn't make the field this year like Turkey, Switzerland, Slovakia, etc. But adding teams not from Europe is just silly, they have their own tournament.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 am

fluffy_kittens wrote:I like the idea of expansion because alot of intriguing teams didn't make the field this year like Turkey, Switzerland, Slovakia, etc. But adding teams not from Europe is just silly, they have their own tournament.

So having teams from outside Europe is silly, but having Turkey is OK? Ridiculous.

If the UK cedes a postage stamp sized piece of land to Brazil and a postage stamp sized piece of land to Argentina, they will be partially in Europe. Are you OK with them being invited to the Championship then?
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    fluffy_kittens wrote:I like the idea of expansion because alot of intriguing teams didn't make the field this year like Turkey, Switzerland, Slovakia, etc. But adding teams not from Europe is just silly, they have their own tournament.

So having teams from outside Europe is silly, but having Turkey is OK? Ridiculous.

If the UK cedes a postage stamp sized piece of land to Brazil and a postage stamp sized piece of land to Argentina, they will be partially in Europe. Are you OK with them being invited to the Championship then?

no, those teams are not recognized as part of Europe and the thing is I feel like this would take away the charm of the world cup. Think about it, how often do you get to see teams from Europe play teams from Africa, Sotuh America, and Asia? only the occasional friendly every now and then, thats what creates the unpredicatbility of the world cup the teams dont play eachother very often, have completely different styles, and dont know what to expect. Thats how I feel about it anyway.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:04 am

BladeGunner wrote:No, because they probably wouldn't take it very seriously and they would send several under-21 players like Costa Rica and Mexico did at the last Copa America. And if they did bring their best players then many of them won't get adequate rest due to potentially participating in four summer competitions in consecutive years. I don't think the club teams who employ them would appreciate that.
    Costa Rica and Mexico didn't send a U-21 team by choice you know.

Concacaf threw a hissy fit and made them send over weak squad. I don't know about Costa Rica but I can tell you Mexico takes it pretty seriously. As recent as 2007 and 2001 they won third place and were runner ups.
    ricky//habana
    ricky//habana

Supports : DFA79

Post by ricky//habana Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:25 am

Only teams in the UEFA footballing body should play in the Euros. Other teams have their own footballing bodies which host their own tournaments.

You wouldn't introduce Barcelona and Real into the Premier League, they have their own competition and a "best of nations" clash happens in the Champions League anyway. Similarly, non-UEFA teams can face off against Europeans in the World Cup.

Edit: Who decides who a "top" player is anyway? The teams are there to win, not to parade around players. If they choose not to take a good side, the price they pay is that they don't win. It doesn't mean that they should be forced into choosing certain players.

The Euros isn't just some exhibition set-up like the Emirates Cup, it's one of only two serious tournaments that international European teams can compete in, and throwing in teams from other continents, which will subsequently eject teams that have worked hard to be there, just so people can see the likes of Neymar etc. would just be ridiculous.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 pm

You guys are crushing my dreams of a San Marino v Andorra final. Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship 1371890812
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm

poor Weather
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:08 pm

You can be an idiot at times.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm

fluffy_kittens wrote:

no, those teams are not recognized as part of Europe and the thing is I feel like this would take away the charm of the world cup. Think about it, how often do you get to see teams from Europe play teams from Africa, Sotuh America, and Asia? only the occasional friendly every now and then, thats what creates the unpredicatbility of the world cup the teams dont play eachother very often, have completely different styles, and dont know what to expect. Thats how I feel about it anyway.

Are Turkey a recognised part of Europe? What about Russia? Kazakhstan? What about Israel, which is situated entirely in Asia? Does the presence of these nations harm the competition?

The World Cup is a lot more predictable because the quality of the weakest teams is a lot lower.

ricky//habana wrote:Only teams in the UEFA footballing body should play in the Euros. Other teams have their own footballing bodies which host their own tournaments.

Yes, and these bodies invite teams from other continents, teams such as Spain. Why not return the favour?

You wouldn't introduce Barcelona and Real into the Premier League, they have their own competition and a "best of nations" clash happens in the Champions League anyway. Similarly, non-UEFA teams can face off against Europeans in the World Cup.

This argument falls apart when you realise that a non-English team already competes in the Premier League.

Edit: Who decides who a "top" player is anyway? The teams are there to win, not to parade around players. If they choose not to take a good side, the price they pay is that they don't win. It doesn't mean that they should be forced into choosing certain players.

Nobody needs to decide, it's patently obvious. If they send a side which isn't their strongest and they get the piss slapped out of them then they don't get invited for the next Championship. This is not particularly difficult.

The Euros isn't just some exhibition set-up like the Emirates Cup, it's one of only two serious tournaments that international European teams can compete in, and throwing in teams from other continents, which will subsequently eject teams that have worked hard to be there, just so people can see the likes of Neymar etc. would just be ridiculous.

Of course it's not an exhibition, it's arguably the second most prestigious tournament in international football. Making it more difficult to win by throwing in a couple more excellent sides will enhance that prestige, not detract from it, having countries like Greece win it detracts from it.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Weather130 wrote:You guys are crushing my dreams of a San Marino v Andorra final. Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship 1371890812

Maybe OFC can invite them to the OFC Nations Cup or whatever they call it.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 am

Weather130 wrote:You guys are crushing my dreams of a San Marino v Andorra final. Inviting Brazil & Argentina to European Championship 1371890812

Maybe OFC can invite them to the OFC Nations Cup or whatever they call it.

Taiwan was once a part of OFC and along with Israel but they never took part in this tournament.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:34 am