Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Mario
Uncle John from Jamaica
Sheppy
mil1lion
Lux
ayvee1
Scouser_Dave
Cornholio
12 posters

Gym Thread.

Cornholio
    Cornholio

Gym Thread. Empty Gym Thread.

Post by Cornholio Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:32 am

Just fucking buss it up on the treadmill. Best I've done for years.

Any of you got set routines or whatever. I find myself just fucking clueless and end up doing the same routine every time I go, which I hear is bad.

Tips people, tips!
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Gym Thread. Empty Re: Gym Thread.

Post by Scouser_Dave Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:57 am

Day 1 - Chest, back, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 2 - Day off

Day 3 - Shoulders, legs, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 4 - Day off

Day 5 - Biceps, triceps, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 6 - Day off

Day 7 - Day off

Pretty much the guidelines I follow when going to the gym.
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:02 am

Doing the same routine isn't bad for you per se, you just plateau in your fitness quickly.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:20 am

Normally I just do cardio, can't really be asked with weights because I have chicken wings and it's embarrassing doh I do some of the weight orientated ones that are a bit more discrete (some one where you pull weights over your shoulder, the pelvic ones and the foot one where you push against the board)

Generally just running and cycling though.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:02 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:Day 1 - Chest, back, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 2 - Day off

Day 3 - Shoulders, legs, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 4 - Day off

Day 5 - Biceps, triceps, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 6 - Day off

Day 7 - Day off

How do you know what free weights to do. I'm just doing the machines atm, don't want to go to the free weights bit, because I'll look clueless. I just know a few.

ayvee1 wrote:Doing the same routine isn't bad for you per se, you just plateau in your fitness quickly.

What do you mean by plateau?

Luxz0rz wrote:Normally I just do cardio, can't really be asked with weights because I have chicken wings and it's embarrassing Gym Thread. 499859 I do some of the weight orientated ones that are a bit more discrete (some one where you pull weights over your shoulder, the pelvic ones and the foot one where you push against the board)

I do a fair bit of cardio aswell. Just don't want to lose my strength for football.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:07 am

I went 3 times a week from June to September but I havn't got the time since College has started.

Lift a few weights every now and then at home, that's about it tbh.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:22 am

Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:Day 1 - Chest, back, abdominal muscles, and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Day 2 - Day off

Day 4 - Day off

Day 6 - Day off

Day 7 - Day off

How do you know what free weights to do. I'm just doing the machines atm, don't want to go to the free weights bit, because I'll look clueless. I just know a few.

ayvee1 wrote:Doing the same routine isn't bad for you per se, you just plateau in your fitness quickly.

Luxz0rz wrote:Normally I just do cardio, can't really be asked with weights because I have chicken wings and it's embarrassing Gym Thread. 499859 I do some of the weight orientated ones that are a bit more discrete (some one where you pull weights over your shoulder, the pelvic ones and the foot one where you push against the board)

I do a fair bit of cardio aswell. Just don't want to lose my strength for football.

When you keep doing the same exercises over and over, you plateau, meaning your body, has that increase in muscle, then it hardly goes up after that. If you want to avoid that, you have to do a variety of exercises.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:49 am

Ryan wrote:

Day 2 - Day off

Day 4 - Day off

Day 6 - Day off

Day 7 - Day off

I do me free weights at home. I only go to the gym to use the machines.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Day 2 - Day off

Day 4 - Day off

Day 6 - Day off

Day 7 - Day off

You really want those abs don't you ? Laughing

You need to do heavy compound exercises for that.

Last edited by HenryGale on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

If I could get rid of this belly I'd be great. Lost 1 1/2 stone (now about 12 stone and 6ft 3) and I still got it Neutral

mil1lion
    mil1lion

Supports : The funny kind

Post by mil1lion Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 pm

I do a 5 day split myself. Six pack FTW Cool

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Cross Trainer
    Tuesday: Abs, HIIT
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Legs, Cross Trainer
    Friday: Arms, Back, Cross Trainer
    Saturday: Abs, HIIT
    Sunday: Rest

I do my own little circuit for each of these workouts. 5 different exercises in the 8-12 rep range. I do 1 set going straight from 1 exercise to the other, then rest for a couple of minutes before repeating again. I do 5 sets total.

I spend the best part of 2 hours total. 1 hour on weights and about 1 hour cardio (although that includes a warm up and warm down)

For my diet I focus on protein (about 40%), complex carbs (about 40%), healthy fats (about 20%) and get plenty of water, fruit and veg throughout the day.

Breakfast - Shredded Wheat, Whey Protein, Fruit
    Early Morning - Green Tea
    Late Morning - 1x Sandwich consisting of wholemeal bread (for complex carbs) lean meat (for protein) and vegetables (for vitamins and minerals), and a handfull of mixed nuts (for healthy fats)
    Early Afternoon - Sandwich (same as above) with extra fine olive oil mixed in (for healthy fats) and either Beef Jerky or a Protein Bar
    Pre Workout - Oats (complex carbs), Whey Protein, Apple (for vitamins and mineral)
    Post Workout - CNP Pro-Recover (2:1 simple carbs and protein). This is the only time I do an insulin spike with simple carbs.
    Evening meal - Pasta/Brown Rice/Sweet Potatoes (complex carbs), Lean Meat (protein), Vegetables (vitamins and minerals), OMEGA 3 softgels (healthy fats)
    Late night - Low Fat Greek Yogurt, Whey Protein

Drinking water throughout the day aswell.

I mix the diet up a bit though and do a zig zag diet. Which basically means you eat more calories one day then on another day. So I vary my calories from day to day. You can read up on the zig zag diet here http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html Its a great way to keep the metabolism sped up.

Its actually a similar type of thing to the plateau issue as mentioned aswell. What is means is that your body is very clever, and it adapts to your lifestyle. So by doing the same routine week in week out, your body learns to deal with it and stops developing. So you need to change your routine from time to time in order to keep your body guessing.

The same with the diet. If you eat the same foods all the time then your body adapts to it and stops developing too. By changing the calorie intake every now and then it keeps your metabolism working. Thats what being fit is all about. Keep challenging your body and you'll continue to develop.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 am

I need to improve me diet. The healthiest food I've had in the past two weeks is a subway, the rest has just been Pizza, Big Macs and other fast foods that I've picked up on the way home from work and at dinner.

I try to eat a well balanced diet but just end up feeling hungry after eating the food recommended and end up snacking on endless bags of crisps and chocolate.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:49 am

You shouldn't feel hungry with low GI carbs. It keeps you fuller for longer.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 am

mil1lion wrote:You shouldn't feel hungry with low GI carbs. It keeps you fuller for longer.

I know I shouldn't but for some strange reason I do. Been meaning to have a word with the doc about it because it's been getting worse over the past few months and what i'm eating to full the void can't be good for me.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 am

Day 1 - Eat junk food
    Day 2 - Eat junk food
    Day 3 - Eat junk food
    Day 4 - Eat junk food
    Day 5 - Eat junk food
    Day 6 - Eat junk food; Play Xbox
    Day 7 - Referee 3 matches or play 2 hours of soccer

Neutral
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    mil1lion wrote:You shouldn't feel hungry with low GI carbs. It keeps you fuller for longer.

I know I shouldn't but for some strange reason I do. Been meaning to have a word with the doc about it because it's been getting worse over the past few months and what i'm eating to full the void can't be good for me.
    Are you sure you're drinking enough? Sometimes you think you're hungry when you're actually thirsty. Might be worth drinking more water.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 am

mil1lion wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Are you sure you're drinking enough? Sometimes you think you're hungry when you're actually thirsty. Might be worth drinking more water.

That could be the problem. I can go through a whole day at work without drinking anything and not have a drink until I get home. Cheers for the advice mate.
    Sheppy
    Sheppy

Post by Sheppy Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:40 am

Free weights are way better for your body than machines. Machines only target a certain area while free weights target a certain area, but also involve other muscles to complete the exercise. I'd probs only use machines for your legs and pecks. For your biceps and triceps, try and keep that for free weights because your core muscles also get a workout.
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 am

mil1lion wrote:I do a 5 day split myself. Six pack FTW Cool

I do my own little circuit for each of these workouts. 5 different exercises in the 8-12 rep range. I do 1 set going straight from 1 exercise to the other, then rest for a couple of minutes before repeating again. I do 5 sets total.

I spend the best part of 2 hours total. 1 hour on weights and about 1 hour cardio (although that includes a warm up and warm down)

For my diet I focus on protein (about 40%), complex carbs (about 40%), healthy fats (about 20%) and get plenty of water, fruit and veg throughout the day.

Late Morning - 1x Sandwich consisting of wholemeal bread (for complex carbs) lean meat (for protein) and vegetables (for vitamins and minerals), and a handfull of mixed nuts (for healthy fats)
    Early Afternoon - Sandwich (same as above) with extra fine olive oil mixed in (for healthy fats) and either Beef Jerky or a Protein Bar
    Pre Workout - Oats (complex carbs), Whey Protein, Apple (for vitamins and mineral)
    Post Workout - CNP Pro-Recover (2:1 simple carbs and protein). This is the only time I do an insulin spike with simple carbs.
    Evening meal - Pasta/Brown Rice/Sweet Potatoes (complex carbs), Lean Meat (protein), Vegetables (vitamins and minerals), OMEGA 3 softgels (healthy fats)

I mix the diet up a bit though and do a zig zag diet. Which basically means you eat more calories one day then on another day. So I vary my calories from day to day. You can read up on the zig zag diet here http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html Its a great way to keep the metabolism sped up.

Its actually a similar type of thing to the plateau issue as mentioned aswell. What is means is that your body is very clever, and it adapts to your lifestyle. So by doing the same routine week in week out, your body learns to deal with it and stops developing. So you need to change your routine from time to time in order to keep your body guessing.

The same with the diet. If you eat the same foods all the time then your body adapts to it and stops developing too. By changing the calorie intake every now and then it keeps your metabolism working. Thats what being fit is all about. Keep challenging your body and you'll continue to develop.
    I would love to do something like this, but it just takes so much time and effort. You realise that excersise is only about a quarter of the job, the rest is planning what to eat and when to eat it.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 am

yarnbury11 wrote:

I would love to do something like this, but it just takes so much time and effort. You realise that excersise is only about a quarter of the job, the rest is planning what to eat and when to eat it.

This.

I wanted to get quite serious, but fuck me that's some effort. I think I'm just gonna stick to what I'm doing and switch it around a bit.

You see, here's my thinking. There's people that go into prison, and they get what one hour a day on the weights and do shitloads of sit ups and that and they get fucking hench. They don't eat perfect diets, they're in prison.

Well I can do more time on the weights than them because I'm not in prison. Therefore, me soon to be >>>>>>>>>> big prison dudes.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 am

yarnbury11 wrote:I would love to do something like this, but it just takes so much time and effort. You realise that excersise is only about a quarter of the job, the rest is planning what to eat and when to eat it.
    It does take time and effort no doubt. But its well worth it once you get used to it. Nutrition is definitely the key to getting in shape.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 am

Ryan wrote:This.

I wanted to get quite serious, but fuck me that's some effort. I think I'm just gonna stick to what I'm doing and switch it around a bit.

You see, here's my thinking. There's people that go into prison, and they get what one hour a day on the weights and do shitloads of sit ups and that and they get fucking hench. They don't eat perfect diets, they're in prison.

Well I can do more time on the weights than them because I'm not in prison. Therefore, me soon to be >>>>>>>>>> big prison dudes.
    How about trying the 3/2/1 workout? Its great if you do 3 days a week like you're doing now. You can do it for either 30 mins or 60 mins.

Its 3 cardio circuits, 2 strength training circuits, 1 core circuit. Its what Bradley Cooper used to get in shape for the A-Team movie.

How To Perform The Workout

Kick off each workout with a cardio session lasting 10 minutes. This can be something like distance running at a good tempo, rowing for time on a rowing machine or running on a treadmill. Follow that up with a 10 minute strength training circuit. Select 3 exercises that use multiple muscle groups - like pull ups, squats and bench press - not just isolation exercises like bicep curls, leg extensions and tricep push downs.

Then perform 10 minutes of high intensity cardio intervals. This should be something like 60-75 yard sprints, jumping rope as fast as you can or even running in place. Then it is back to a strength training circuit. Again pick 3 exercises that use multiple muscle groups - like dead lifts, push ups and push press - and cycle through them for 10 minutes. One last cardio session is then performed. You can do middle distance running, a Stairmaster or an elliptical machine. End the workout with 10 minutes of core work such as planks, v-ups and french twists.

A Sample 321 Workout

Here is an example of a 321 workout. I'll break it down so you can see what a scaled back workout would look like too. Use whatever one works for your level of fitness.

1 Hour 321 Workout (10 Minute Circuits)

1. Cardio (Steady Pace Running)
    2. Strength Training (Squat, Pull-ups, Bench)
    3. Cardio (High Intensity Sprints)
    4. Strength Training (Dead Lifts, Pushups, Dips)
    5. Cardio (Steady Pace Running)
    6. Core (Planks, V-Holds, Ball Crunches)

30 Minute 321 Workout (5 Minute Circuits)

1. Cardio (Steady Pace Running)
    2. Strength Training (Dead Lift, Pushup, Press)
    3. Cardio (High Intensity Jump Rope)
    4. Strength Training (Squat, Incline Bench, Pull-ups)
    5. Cardio (Treadmill at Small Incline)
    6. Core (Planks, French Twists, Bicycles)

Use This Workout To Get Great Results In Less Time

Anyone can do this workout routine. Adjust the time of each circuit according to your level of fitness. Make each circuit 5 minutes long until you build up the endurance to perform it for a full 10 minutes. Make sure you lift weights that are difficult enough but not too much that you can't finish the workout. Build up your stamina then ramp-up the intensity and length of the workout.

The 321 workout is a total body workout. You get to work on your Cardio, Strength Training and Core work all in one routine. What more could you ask for? Use this workout to get in great shape and make it fun be using different exercises in each circuit. You'll have a blast and get in better shape and that's all you could ask for from a workout.

Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:23 am

Sounds good. I aim to be going 5 days a week though, while I'm out of work. Not doing weekends.

Seems a bit weak on the cardio aswell. I need to be doing long distance runs and that. If I say, sprint half the pitch on a weekend I'm fucked for a good 5 minutes after.
    Mario
    Mario

Formerly known as : El Pipita
    Supports : Real Madrid Castilla

Post by Mario Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Mine:
    Mon: Chest/Triceps
    Tue: Legs/Abs
    Wed: Off
    Thu: Back/Biceps
    Fri: Abs/Forearms
    Sat: Shoulders
    Sun: Off

Btw Cardio = overrated, if you eat on maintance and lift heavy, you'll easily get rid of the fat.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 am

While weight training can burn fat better than cardio, its still important to do at least some cardio. Not only does it build stamina but also is great for the heart. Plus high intensity interval training really does burn the fat fast aswell.

I would always get at least a few days cardio per week.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 am

I just do Cross Trainer for 30mins Arms and Legs for 20mins and 10min cool down on the Cross Trainer but im bored of it any tips? and I also eat alot of crap so that dont help so tips on what food I should eat? and how to stick to it......Very Happy
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 am

Ryan wrote:
    yarnbury11 wrote:

This.

I'd imagine prison food is fairly nutritious, due to government guidelines and whatnot. I don't think they'd be allowed to serve unhealthy food considering it's all the prisoners are allowed to have.
    mil1lion
    mil1lion

Post by mil1lion Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:08 am

xNiPPY wrote:I just do Cross Trainer for 30mins Arms and Legs for 20mins and 10min cool down on the Cross Trainer but im bored of it any tips? and I also eat alot of crap so that dont help so tips on what food I should eat? and how to stick to it......Very Happy
    I do cross trainer too, but I have a tv to watch (in my garage converted gym) so that keeps me from getting bored. You can also listen to music. As far as the routine goes, its always good to mix it up. My cross trainer has several programmes with different tension and different levels of intensity. So if you do different settings and change the level every few minutes it can also keep from getting boring.

For foods I would stick to low GI foods like pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, rolled oats, wholegrain bread etc. You can google low GI food lists and go for anything low GI rated. For proteins its best to stick to lean meats as opposed to with the skin etc. Also avoid too much saturated and trans fats aswell as sugar (I particularly found that a lot of cereals have added sugar in them). Avoid fried foods as much as possible. Its best to eat little and often (about every 3-4 hours). And plenty of fruit, veg and water aswell.

If you find it hard to stick to healthy foods or you're struggling to go without unhealthy foods, then you can set a day in the week where you can eat what you like. That could help prevent cravings for it. Just dont go too mad with it, but there's no problem spoiling yourself once a week.
    Mario
    Mario

Formerly known as : El Pipita
    Supports : Real Madrid Castilla

Post by Mario Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 am

Oh yeah I just wanted to say if anyone decides not to train his legs..you're going to regret it soon I know that loads of people regret it, glad that I trained it from the start lol.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 am

iPepe wrote:Oh yeah I just wanted to say if anyone decides not to train his legs..you're going to regret it soon I know that loads of people regret it, glad that I trained it from the start lol.
    This. There's nothing better than a heavy leg workout.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 pm