Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Harrold
Gegilworld93
Zzonked
Ra's al Ghul
Rafael Benitez
Lux
Laurencio
Muhkoo
12 posters

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken??

Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? Empty Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken??

Post by Muhkoo Fri May 11, 2012 11:36 pm

For most it will probably be "Who is Ståle Solbakken?" for the few with more football knowledge it will be "Why Ståle Solbakken?" and for the rest it is probably gonna be "Wolves? Who cares? They are relegated!"

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2769101,00.html
    Wolves are pleased to confirm the appointment of Ståle Solbakken as the Club's new manager.

The 44-year-old Norwegian has signed a contract and will officially take over on 1st July 2012.

Chief Executive Jez Moxey confirmed the appointment by saying: "Following
    talks with Ståle Solbakken I am happy to confirm that he has agreed to become our new manager. He will be formally introduced to the media on Monday."

Ståle added, "I am delighted to be taking up the important challenge to manage Wolves. It's an exciting opportunity to manage a great club and I can't wait to get started."

No further comment will be made until Ståle is officially unveiled at a press conference on Monday morning.

Terry Connor will manage the team for the final game of the season against
    Wigan on Sunday, completing the agreement made when he took on the
    position in February.
    Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 0,,10307%7E10839009,00

Anyway, he is known for having a superb stint as manager for FC Copenhagen with 5 league titles in 6 years (only other title went to his first Superliga club, Aab) as well as taking them into the round of 16 in Champions League against Chelsea as the first Danish club ever, the same CL year brought a draw at home against Barcelona, as well as beating Panathinaikos twice to secure 2nd place in the same group, another CL year saw his team beat Manchester United at home 1-0 in a qualification that saw the club edge out AFC Ajax ( Crying or Very sad ) in the play-offs.

This past season he spent at FC Köln learning what it means to battle your own clubs staff as a manager, he wanted things done his way which included the controversy of taking the captain's band from Lucas Podolski as one of his first actions, his stint at the club also lead to the firing of their director of sports but ultimately he was fired himself and FC Köln were relegated.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? Empty Re: Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken??

Post by Laurencio Fri May 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Good appointment by Wolves, if they let him actually implement his style and philosophy that is. Köln made the mistake of removing him far too early, they would have saved their spot with him and done better next season in my opinion.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? Empty Re: Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken??

Post by Lux Sat May 12, 2012 12:18 am

Are his tactics a bit stale? shifty
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 am

Lux wrote:Are his tactics a bit stale? shifty

Not really. Zonal defence, quick attacking football, often counter attacking sweetness, compressed defending with midfielders pressing for the ball and wingers swapping between cutting in from wide and putting in a cross from the byline. He's actually quite good tactically.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sat May 12, 2012 12:22 am

Laurencio wrote:

Not really. Zonal defence, quick attacking football, often counter attacking sweetness, compressed defending with midfielders pressing for the ball and wingers swapping between cutting in from wide and putting in a cross from the byline. He's actually quite good tactically.

Zonal defence could cost them some goals shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 1:19 am

Never heard of him, poor appointment imo. Shit track record and seems like another AVB, does what he wants and it ends up blowing up in his face.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Sat May 12, 2012 1:21 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Never heard of him, poor appointment imo. Shit track record and seems like another AVB, does what he wants and it ends up blowing up in his face.

Huh
    Rafael Benitez
    Rafael Benitez

Supports : Malaga

Post by Rafael Benitez Sat May 12, 2012 1:22 am

All of the Wolves players on SSN don't know who he is Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 1:24 am

*takes over at Koln*

*removes captain/best players armband*

Who does that remind you of? Maybe not removing the armband, but AVB says right Anelka, Alex etc you train with the reserves. What a bellend, never should have go the job in the first place. Shit manager and never achieved anything successful in management. 1 Europa League? LOL.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Sat May 12, 2012 1:29 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:*takes over at Koln*

Who does that remind you of? Maybe not removing the armband, but AVB says right Anelka, Alex etc you train with the reserves. What a bellend, never should have go the job in the first place. Shit manager and never achieved anything successful in management. 1 Europa League? LOL.

Podolski had the best season of his career, so how exactly was that a bad move by him? Dry Smile
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo Sat May 12, 2012 1:30 am

Laurencio wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Never heard of him, poor appointment imo. Shit track record and seems like another AVB, does what he wants and it ends up blowing up in his face.

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 963615

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? ESS_PasteBitmap03302
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 1:31 am

Laurencio wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:*takes over at Koln*

Podolski had the best season of his career, so how exactly was that a bad move by him? Dry Smile

It's just now what you do.

It's like taking over at Man Utd, removing the captain.

And making Scholes and Giggs train with the reserves.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 am

Famous for being part of the classiest act of handbags in the history of football.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 1:42 am

Could be a good appointment. There was much behind the scenes that undermined his work at Koln.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat May 12, 2012 2:47 am

Sounds like a good appointment.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Sat May 12, 2012 3:01 am

Fantastic choice, he'll be the best manager in the Championship.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sat May 12, 2012 3:10 am

Behind Sean Dyche Alee
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 3:39 am

Ståle Solbakken not worthy
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Sat May 12, 2012 3:46 am

I personally think his tactic are a bit... stale. Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 279869
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Sat May 12, 2012 3:49 am

Will be a solid midfielder for them.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sat May 12, 2012 3:56 am

Harrold wrote:I personally think his tactic are a bit... stale. Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 279869

Simples
    Harrold
    Harrold

Post by Harrold Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 am

Didn't read the thread. Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 1371890812
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo Sat May 12, 2012 4:56 am

Lux wrote:
    Lux wrote:Are his tactics a bit stale? Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 279869

Harrold wrote:I personally think his tactic are a bit... stale. Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 279869

Wolverhampton pick Ståle Solbakken?? 225495

I used to think the same and a few fairly talented players never really got to shine under him (Ailton at Apoel now) and specially the first few seasons in Copenhagen they played very destructive football even when they were clearly better than most teams in the danish league, it was very boring. But then he got to incorperate Jesper Grønkjær more and his talents along with a few key players made them play much much better, specially in his last season with Dame N'Doye(FCK), William Kvist(Stuttgart), Jesper Grønkjær(retired), Oscar Wendt (Mönchengladbach) Claudemir (FCK) & Zedenk Pospech (Mainz 05)

I admit haven't watched him and his team lately as the only interest i had for the club was when they were in Europe and don't really watch Bundesliga but i suspect if he has gone back to the destructive boring football it is because he wasn't allowed to settle in with his methods, he helped transform FCK to a proper professional football club where the goal wasn't just to get in Europe and get beaten but actually play and attempt to go further than the group stages, as well as securing the Danish Championship every year, something he had great success with.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Post by Harrold Sat May 12, 2012 4:59 am

It was a pun. Laughing
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo Sat May 12, 2012 5:12 am

Harrold wrote:It was a pun. Laughing

Hi, not from the UK, made a wrong assumption that you had heard about him clearly and let a bad pun fly over my head. It however was still relevant.

I think i've been over it before with the bad pun and terrible banter in here, a lot of it is gonna be misunderstood by me, have absolutely no UK references in daily life outside of this forum and maybe watching british streams Rolling Eyes
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Sat May 12, 2012 5:25 am

Muhkoo wrote:

Hi, not from the UK, made a wrong assumption that you had heard about him clearly and let a bad pun fly over my head. It however was still relevant.

I think i've been over it before with the bad pun and terrible banter in here, a lot of it is gonna be misunderstood by me, have absolutely no UK references in daily life outside of this forum and maybe watching british streams Rolling Eyes

Well cmon....Stale is his name....stale is a word in the English language.....you wouldn't need to know anything about the UK shifty

I'm actually wondering if Laurencio got it Laughing
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Sat May 12, 2012 5:32 am

In Germany people thought that his tactics were indeed stale I think so it's a valid point, obviously no pun was made in Germany though Laughing.

Last edited by Gegilworld93 on Sat May 12, 2012 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 am

I didn't catch on to the pun until it was said for a second time Laughing
    Harrold
    Harrold

Post by Harrold Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 am

Muhkoo wrote:

I gathered that much from the reply. Laughing Was a good read all the same.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat May 12, 2012 6:22 am

This is the first time in history that Wolves have a manager from somewhere outside of ROI or the UK. This should be interesting to see how this goes down. Hopefully they can buy a Norwegian in the Summer transfer window so the new manager has someone to talk to in his native language. Even if he has perfect English almost everyone is better in their native language.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:31 am