Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Muhkoo
Cadbury
Jess
Roloman4
Jorlung
dena
Jaetinh
mac
12 posters

Sleep Paralysis

mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Sleep Paralysis  Empty Sleep Paralysis

Post by mac Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sleep Paralysis  280px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare

Ever had it happen to you? I've had it happen today and probably 5+ times in the last few years. It feels like "something" is physically preventing me from moving or talking. The most I can do is murmur. I usually see a shadowy figure. Either I can't make it out or it looks like a female.

Anyways, I usually break out of it after a couple seconds or a few minutes at most. Sometimes I go back to sleep after and other times I stay up. Had a bizarre nightmare last night before it occurred. Not particularly scary but the most fear I had was when I partially awoke into sleep paralysis.

Edit: Apparently, the amount I deal with it is normal and common for most people but for those who it happens to a lot, it might be an actually disorder that a doctor should look at.
    Anonymous

Sleep Paralysis  Empty Re: Sleep Paralysis

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:02 am

Yeah, I get it. It's annoying trying to force yourself to move/wake up.

Basically it's when your body is asleep but your brain is awake. Feels like you're in a coma.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 am

ScottyBoy_1989 wrote:Yeah, I get it. It's annoying trying to force yourself to move/wake up.

Basically it's when your body is asleep but your brain is awake. Feels like you're in a coma.

Yeah, there is an annoyance factor as well. However, for me, the brief seconds I feel like I can't control my body and I hallucinate scares the shit out of me.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 am

I don't think its ever happend to me.
    Jaetinh
    Jaetinh

Post by Jaetinh Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 am

Shit, I thought this only happened to me, I never knew what it was before now. I've had this since I was like 5 years old and it happens a lot, in fact it happened today again.

I woke up, however I couldn't move at all, I could not speak and barely breathe. Thing is, I don't try to fall asleep, I fight it. I always do it because I fucking hate it.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:23 am

Jaetinh wrote:Shit, I thought this only happened to me, I never knew what it was before now. I've had this since I was like 5 years old and it happens a lot, in fact it happened today again.

I woke up, however I couldn't move at all, I could not speak and barely breathe. Thing is, I don't try to fall asleep, I fight it. I always do it because I fucking hate it.

You should probably have a doctor check you out. Specifically, one who specializes in sleep disorders.

Does it feel like something "invisible" is sitting on you or holding you down? Do you have hallucinations?
    Jaetinh
    Jaetinh

Post by Jaetinh Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:35 am

mac wrote:
    Jaetinh wrote:Shit, I thought this only happened to me, I never knew what it was before now. I've had this since I was like 5 years old and it happens a lot, in fact it happened today again.

You should probably have a doctor check you out. Specifically, one who specializes in sleep disorders.

Does it feel like something "invisible" is sitting on you or holding you down? Do you have hallucinations?

Yes kind of, because I'm having a hard time breathing when this happens.

When this happens, I don't know whether my eyes are open or not. I believe they are closed because when my brother once entered my room and talked to me while I was in this sleep paralysis thing, he left again like I was just sleeping normally.. however, even though they might be closed, I can actually see things around me (my room, body, tv, everything). It feels like I'm trying to rip my soul away from my body when I try to fight it, you know? I feel like a ghost. neu laugh
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:41 am

Jaetinh wrote:

Yes kind of, because I'm having a hard time breathing when this happens.

When this happens, I don't know whether my eyes are open or not. I believe they are closed because when my brother once entered my room and talked to me while I was in this sleep paralysis thing, he left again like I was just sleeping normally.. however, even though they might be closed, I can actually see things around me (my room, body, tv, everything). It feels like I'm trying to rip my soul away from my body when I try to fight it, you know? I feel like a ghost. neu laugh

Yeah, I've had difficulty breathing before as well. Usually, it occurs when I'm sleeping on my back rather than my stomach or on my side.

What's likely happening is your eyes are flickering open or trying to open themselves as you are conscious despite your body being in REM sleep. You are aware of your situation but your brain or body isn't. It's kind of hard to explain it.

Anyways, when I'm trying to force myself awake or out of the paralysis, I feel as if I'm strapped down and a shadowy figure is either to the side of my bed or right beside me. It's as if I'm fighting against it and trying to physically attack it. As soon as I "win" the fight, I'm free and usually up.

dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:57 am

Used to happen to me as a kid, I've never been as scared in my life Laughing
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Post by Jorlung Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 am

Happens to me sometimes which is odd because it is supposed to happen more often when you sleep on your back, and I almost always sleep on my side. It scares the shit out of me because you aren't really thinking of what's going on then you start to panic and feel like you can't breathe, then suddenly you just break out of it. Funny enough usually I don't even realize that it has happened and I just go straight back to bed but then I remember when I wake up.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:07 am

Happened to me once, not that long ago either.
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:10 am

It used to happen to me all the time. It never really scared me, and I never felt a presence or anything, just, you know, paralysis. Usually I had to make a very sudden jerking movement to get out of it. I remember sometimes when I went to sleep at school after a test or something it would happen and I would freak out thinking that when I made the jerking movement to get out of it I would actually make that movement and look like a moron in front of everyone.
    Jess

Post by Jess Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 am

I've never suffered from this but I used to suffer really badly from Night Terrors, went to see someone about it and everything, still have them occassionally but not as much as I used to.
    Really weird how the brain works during sleep.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 am

Never happened to me, but I sleep about half of what I'm supposed to anyway. Suspect
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 am

Never happened to me but it sounds horrific. I'd hate that.
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 am

Novi, The Creator wrote:I don't think its ever happend to me.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 am

Never happened to me before.

I've heard most sleep disorders are associated with stress though.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am

I heard it happens when you try to experience lucid dreaming, really complicated stuff.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:39 am

Fuck that Lucid Dreaming shit, what if it turns into something worse. Exorcist shit there.

I just wanna sleep Me gusta
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I swear we have a thread about sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming every now and then it seems. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Scared the shit out of me the first time I experienced it. Thought it was some alien abduction ish. Now I just wait patiently until I can move.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:20 pm

I have no idea of what you guys are talking. Laughing Neutral
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:45 pm

It's happened to me several times but every time I still panic because I just don't realize what's going on because I'm still half asleep and not really thinking straight. I start breathing heavily and irregularly and keep trying to move.

ahlycotc wrote:I swear we have a thread about sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming every now and then it seems. Laughing
    I know right. Like I'm pretty sure I've seen 4/5 threads on lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis.

But on the topic of lucid dreams my sister gets them like once a week, and she doesn't do that shit where she tries to do them (ie. not itching or w/e) it just happens she says.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Jinn.
    CollieBuddz
    CollieBuddz

Post by CollieBuddz Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 am

Holy fuck this just happened to me twice (I work nights).

I'd just woken up and as I was drifting back off my heart pounded really hard once and then went really slow. I could just about move my arms legs like a millimeter.

The only logicial thing I could think was happening was I was dying. I thought rigor mortis was setting in.

Then I just sort of tried to use the power I would to jump and I could move again.

Fucking shit me up. Happened again after I went to close my eyes again.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 am

Laughing yeah you have to jolt yourself to get out of it most time
    CollieBuddz
    CollieBuddz

Post by CollieBuddz Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 am

Fuck that shit. Never happened to me before.

I have minor problems with my heart as well (not really problems, but my heart quite often does one hard pound then goes back to normal). Fucking hell I really thought this was it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 am

I think this has happend to me a few weeks ago.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Post by Jorlung Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am

Whenever I wake up I always panic and like stand up out of my bed and pace around for like 5 seconds before I realized what happened. Then I won't even remember this happened until midday the next day.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 am

I once thought there was a tarantula in a web above my bed so I crawled out of bed as low as possible and ran to turn on the lights....it was nothing in the end. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:31 pm