Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
chiboygeorge
Roloman4
Danny
Sean
Cam
Keanoo
dena
Muhkoo
FishnChips
Phadunkin Donuts
14 posters

How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end?

Anonymous

How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end? Empty How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm

It seems impossible to think of right now, but it's inevitable. One day, this Barcelona team will no longer be the best on the player. I was running through a couple of possible scenarios:

1. A gap is established between those retiring first team players and the next generation which takes a number of years to breach (Combined with an FFP embargo)
    2. Guardiola's successor isn't as good at building a unit for the players to express themselves.
    3. They get tired of Guardiola's intense training methods
    4. Another team finds a better way to play and be successful.
    5. Boredom

Yeah...that's what I came up with. I didn't bother with players leaving to seek new challenges, because I doubt anyone at Barça will leave because of that unless they aren't getting playing time. However, I do want to use it to make a point later down.

If we look back at the history of the decline of great sides, number 1 has been the most frequent cause. 2 is a bit infrequent since the good coach usually sticks around until things get sour. I assume it would be most observable in the career of Bela Guttman. 3 is what did in Sacchi's Milan. Somehow I think 4 is highly unlikely.

5 is the one that most interested me. If you want to draw a parallel between this Barcelona side and another other great team from the past, it would be Ajax from the 70's. They didn't stick together long enough for 1 to happen. 2 was a no show since Kovacs took over from Michels smoothly and so were 3 and 4.

What happened to Ajax is that they eventually got bored of being that good. Eventually the players wanted to leave for new challenges, and the ship was pretty much abandoned once Cruyff high-tailed it to Barça.

So, if I had to pick one, it would be 5. Then again, maybe they will stay like this for quite a while (or until Messi retires).

What do you guys think? Did I miss out some other possibilities?

Anonymous

How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end? Empty Re: How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm

When Messi declines/stops being prolific.

They will always be one of the best teams in Spain, but I don't think they will dominate europe so consistently post prime Messi.
    Anonymous

How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end? Empty Re: How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Yeah, I missed the obvious one. It's harder to picture Messi not being dominant than Barça not being dominant for some weird reason. Laughing

Probably because I've seen an underpar Barcelona, but an underpar Messi is a legendary creature.
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Without Messi. Barcelona are Arsenal.

I dare you not to bite.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Barcelona will always be at the top. There will be transitions between generations where they won't be top (and I mean, Real Madrid, and other European sides will be ahead of the game for awhile) but they will return.

They have a world class youth system and will always be churning out stars.
    FishnChips
    FishnChips

Post by FishnChips Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm

I get the feeling the FFP won't be as strict with both Barcelona and Madrid. It really is just a plan to stop clubs being taken over by rich people and turning them into star-filled teams.

Maybe Guardiola will stay, who knows? We don't know who his successor would be so we cannot definitely say they won't be able to build a great team.
    Now about his methods, I wouldn't know really... But if I was a player in a club as successful as Barcelona I wouldn't care about training methods as long as they worked. If there's a player that wants to be successful without putting much effort into it then he doesn't deserve to be successful.

Another team might find the formula to be as successful, no doubt. Noone knows when that will happen but I'm sure it will at some point.

I think your theory is very plausible, however we don't know how long they will stay at the top. With the way they look like right now I'd say it will take a long while.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Phadunkin Donuts wrote:Without Messi. Barcelona are Arsenal.

I dare you not to bite.
    Actually they are spain.
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I think it would come down to a combination, will Guardiola be satisfied being in the Spanish league forever? (possibility), and would the young players be able to carry on the same intense training with a new manager, the blue prints are in place and some of the young players are there, but could a new coach without his merits and some of the many things we don't see a manager do carry that on?

Guardiola has something special, he is a Barclona man at heart in a way no one else has been before, his combined victories for the club as a player and a manager is not something that is matched, only guy i could think of that could match that in the future would be Xavi , he is probably the best coach they ever had because he doesn't have the same flaw as Cruijff had (or Mourinho has) that his ego isn't bigger than the club (Doesn't seem that way at least, It is what ruined the Dream Team in the 90s although many Ajax fans probably contributed to that with the almost demi-god like status Cruijff has to the club) Granted he didn't have to set up the system but he carried his work flawlessly from the B team to the world stage

If Guardiola can keep going, i think something like National teams can ruin them. They all play for their respective national teams except for Valdez really and now the specially the Spanish players have had very long seasons almost every season since 2007 eventually that should in theory cause some major burnout unless they all literally have nothing but football in their heads.

IN SHORTER

As long as they have Guardiola & Messi it can carry on until they can't go anymore. Messi might not be all there every game (i mean come on they need Real Madrid to slip up even more to win the league), but this year he nearly has and look where that has taken him, talking about him breaking Gerd Müller's 1 season goal scoring record for a season, that has been there almost 40 years. Guardiola stays and has youngsters carry on the system it can carry on with a player like Messi in the mix for the Unknown in the "Tiki-taka" "Total Football" hybrid. Honestly i have no clue, although i think it is getting a little boring, can we have Ajax back on top now please?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 pm

By May, they won't win La Liga and they won't win the Champions League -- all is well.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:36 pm

When Xavi retires.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:53 am

When Messi retires or loses his brilliance a little, Barca won't be as dominant. Players like Messi only come once in a lifetime. But they will still be one of the top teams in the world without him. When Ronaldinho declined, Messi stepped up. They will probably have someone else come through the youth ranks that will replace Messi.

Another scenario (although less likely) is for Barcelona to suffer financially.

We all know Guardiola isn't going to stay as manager for long. Barca might suffer just a little when he leaves, but it won't be that big of an impact as Messi leaving.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 am

Barcelona will evolve once again, once Messi time is up.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 am

Like this.
    Cam
    Cam

Supports : Liverpool Football Club

Post by Cam Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 am

Just noticed a mistake in the OP How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end? 3925848005
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

Lmao talk about knee jerk
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

Which reign is this?

Real Madrid are the best team in the world and have been for the past 10 years +.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

With a beautiful Portuguese man telling everyone to calm down in the Nou Camp. alee2

But for real, this is just an off season, once they get Villa back/get a new player they'll dominate again I think.

Last edited by kyro7 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Which reign is this?

Real Madrid are the best team in the world and have been for the past 10 years +.
    All those Champions Leagues they've won in the last 10 years. laugh
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:52 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Which reign is this?

You must either be the biggest troll or the biggest fool around.

The last ten years have been split between Barcelona and Manchester United.
    chiboygeorge
    chiboygeorge

Post by chiboygeorge Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 am

RONALDO
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 am

dena wrote:By May, they won't win La Liga and they won't win the Champions League -- all is well.

How do you think Barcelona's reign will come to an end? Mr_Burns_evil
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:02 am

You had two eggs, dena. Wait for the other one to hatch.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 am

It hatched yesterday. We just have to see if it'll survive the trip to the market.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 am

Rei Andros wrote:You had two eggs, dena. Wait for the other one to hatch.

Fuck that.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 am

Ronaldo, via rape.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 am

We havin' fowl tonight! pirat
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 am

llollllllllllll
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 am

dena wrote:

We havin' fowl tonight! pirat

I got the frying pan.

Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm

I would like to change my prediction to "By Torres scoring for Chelsea at Camp Nou" or is that too late?

I go away for a week with almost no football watching and Barcelona blows up everything?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 pm

People are overreacting. Just because they went a season without winning La Liga or the CL doesn't mean they will go down. They have been really unlucky this season. Also, long term injuries (especially to Villa) have hurt them. Referee decisions have gone against them and for Real in La Liga.

I'm not trying to make excuses for not winning competitions, but it's just a little bump in the road for Barcelona. Class is permanent, form is temporary. We will see next season what Barcelona is made of.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:36 pm