Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
BigJ0526
Paulinho
Bushido
Childish Logic
El_indian
easley91
Zzonked
GK01
12 posters

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game'

GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' Empty Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game'

Post by GK01 Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Palmer's swipe at the A-League

Gold Coast United owner Clive Palmer labelled the A-League "a joke" and admitted what most football fans have long thought: "I don't even like the game."

"I think it's a hopeless game. Rugby league's a much better game," he told the Sunday Mail.

At the end of a tumultuous week in which coach Miron Bleiberg was stood down for a game for suggesting the elevation of teenage rookie Mitch Cooper to the captaincy was merely a ceremonial gesture, Palmer made no secret of his utter contempt for the A-League and Football Federation Australia.

With Gold Cost United average attendances less than 4,000 and the wooden spoon all but wrapped up, speculation has been rife that the club is on its final legs.

Palmer's latest comments do little to dampen that talk despite Gold Coast having an A-League licence for at least another two campaigns.

"It's not my decision. Clive Mensink's the CEO. Whatever he decides, I'll go along with," billionaire Palmer said.

"The club is a very small, insignificant portion of what I do. We've got over $20 billion of projects."

With FFA desperately trying to revive the introduction of a team from western Sydney, CEO Ben Buckley appears to have had enough of Palmer's whims.

However, Australia's fifth richest person is unperturbed.

"If we wanted to stay (in the A-League) and they (FFA) wanted to take it (the licence) off us, they'd all be in court, and Ben Buckley would run a thousand miles," Palmer said.

"That's the reality of it. They can say what they like ... the A-League's a joke. I don't think I'll ever talk to Ben again in my life, to be honest."

This season Gold Coast has promoted a number of teenagers to the first team with Palmer proud of this legacy.

"I know our team's bottom of the table, but ... they've got all the skills these guys. They're going to be Socceroos most of them," he said.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1094113/Palmer-s-swipe-at-the-A-League

The FFA responded with

FFA hits back at Clive Palmer comments
    Football Federation Australia has hit back this afternoon against Gold Coast United owner Clive Palmer's comments on the Hyundai A-League. Palmer labelled the league "a joke" this weekend, stating he believes rugby league to be a better game than football.

"Football fans across Australia will today rightfully condemn the lack of respect inherent in comments made by Clive Palmer," said FFA CEO, Ben Buckley.

"The comments are offensive to the players, coaches, administrators and volunteers who are the life and soul of Australian football.

"We welcomed Clive into the game and lauded his investment, but no matter how frustrated Clive may feel about his involvement, these comments are out of order.

"I remind Clive that as a chairman and owner of a club, he has obligations to the competition, his fellow club chairman and investors in the other nine clubs, and to the game itself."

This slamming rebuttal by the FFA will now bring Gold Coast United's future in the Hyundai A-League into further question. The club, who have yet to re-sign the bulk of their playing roster, have dwindling crowd numbers, and sit bottom of the ladder, are in dire straits. These shocking comments from Palmer could be the final straw for the governing body and they now may look into rescinding the Gold Coast's A-League franchise.

http://www.thefootballsack.com/2012/02/ffa-hits-back-at-clive-palmer-comments.html

Seriously fuck Palmer, couldn't care less if GCU go under or not.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' Empty Re: Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game'

Post by Zzonked Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Why would he even invest if he doesn't like football?
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' Empty Re: Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game'

Post by easley91 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Football > Rugby League
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Zzonked wrote:Why would he even invest if he doesn't like football?
    There are owners around the around who invest even though they don't like it, I'm sure a few American owners probably don't like it as much as NFL, NHL or baseball.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

TBF you would think this if you knew nothing other than the A-League Mischief
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 pm

easley91 wrote:
    There are owners around the around who invest even though they don't like it, I'm sure a few American owners probably don't like it as much as NFL, NHL or baseball.

The thing is he doesn't do anything for the club but bring them down, he doesn't advertise, he closes down half their stadium for games, he removed their active support, it's like he's invested just to bring the game down Laughing
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:39 pm

this is like when crump or james make those threads about them leaving.

cool story bro.
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm

NZG wrote:this is like when crump or james make those threads about them leaving.

cool story bro.
    Cool response bro.
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

NZG wrote:this is like when crump or james make those threads about them leaving.

cool story bro.

What?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm

apparently he make a 17 year old new captain of the club

u know what beau tell me he said that palmer is like a secret agent of the nrl and his plan all along to make aleague fail Laughing
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 pm

GK01 wrote:

cool story bro.

What?

Who gives a shit about this dumbass and his views. Just ignore it and carry on, many people think this way about football.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 pm

easley91 wrote:Football > Rugby League

I disagree.
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Breaking News: Miron Blieberg GCU manager has quit the club.

THEY'RE GOING UNDER, GOING UNDER, LETS ALL HAVE A PARTY, THEY'RE GOING UNDER!
    Bushido
    Bushido

Post by Bushido Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Who is Clive Palmer?
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Paulinho Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Like anyone will take an Australian's comdemnation of Football seriously . We are the minority !
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm

GK01 wrote:Breaking News: Miron Blieberg GCU manager has quit the club.

They are already down under though... Razz
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Nightmare wrote:Who is Clive Palmer?

Owner of A-League football club Gold Coast United.

Paulinho wrote:Like anyone will take an Australian's comdemnation of Football seriously . We are the minority !

I know, but still he's disgraced the game not just down here but everywhere. He's disgraced everyone associated with the game as well. To be a owner who hates the game is disgusting, give their license to a Canberra club, a Tasmanian club hell another SYdney club, why the fuck not give it to all three and expand the league with people who care about the game.

Adz wrote:
    GK01 wrote:Breaking News: Miron Blieberg GCU manager has quit the club.

They are already down under though... Razz

Laughing I really couldn't give a shit if GCU go under in all honesty, love the derby, hate the club, at the end of the day I'm a Brisbane supporter so yep Laughing
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 am

Looks like there won't be A-League for long.

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' 601554
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:29 am

Zzonked wrote:
    easley91 wrote:Football > Rugby League

I disagree.

^ Rugby League thread unite!Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' 232912
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:37 am

A-League is funny. Always seemed like it was a league with the potential to have something special, yet it's doing everything to stop that from happening.
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:A-League is funny. Always seemed like it was a league with the potential to have something special, yet it's doing everything to stop that from happening.

And how so? We have a fuckwit in charge of a disgraceful club they want to pull their license, I don't see how we're doing everything against being a good league.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Post by Paulinho Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 pm

The percentage of Greeks, Italians, Lebo's and the assorted ice cream nations is much higher down in Victoria and NSW, so that's why our clubs do pretty good with attendances and that Cool
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Paulinho wrote:The percentage of Greeks, Italians, Lebo's and the assorted ice cream nations is much higher down in Victoria and NSW, so that's why our clubs do pretty good with attendances and that Cool

Brisbane have like the second biggest average attendance this season next to Victory Laughing
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Post by Paulinho Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Is it like 12-13? Isn't Sydney's the same? Besides people go to your games for a different reasons. Just about anyone would go to see a fish jump through hoops, but in Melbourne people are content to just see a fish flop around on the ground Laughing
    GK01
    GK01

Post by GK01 Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Paulinho wrote:Is it like 12-13? Isn't Sydney's the same? Besides people go to your games for a different reasons. Just about anyone would go to see a fish jump through hoops, but in Melbourne people are content to just see a fish flop around on the ground Laughing

Yeah around 13/14k. Think Sydneys just under ours. I mean people go to our games to see us win, I understand we're a MAJOR bandwagon, but we're starting to convince people to stay even if we lose, to enjoy the game, the sport is growing up here man. Especially our active support, I've never seen the Den in better voice than Saturday.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Just like Stan Kroenke then.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Clive Palmer labels football a 'hopeless game' 804a2dff-49d0-4f98-9198-2ca182698e37
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 pm

NRL is far superior to A-League Neutral

A-League is shit, oh look we have lots of star players that are old has beens who once played for goodish clubs but really failed for those clubs. Also we have amazing young talent who settle in brilliantly at second division clubs in Europe!!!
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Gotta start somewhere dude.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Chip wrote:NRL is far superior to A-League Neutral

A-League is shit, oh look we have lots of star players that are old has beens who once played for goodish clubs but really failed for those clubs. Also we have amazing young talent who settle in brilliantly at second division clubs in Europe!!!
    If you hadn't said A-League, I would of sworn you were talking about MLS. shifty

I kid I kid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:55 am