Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Glen Miller
The Zlatan
The_Quilo
Andy
VivaRonaldoLAD
Dean
Jordi
LeBron
MickStupp
Zzonked
Sean
Totti
Kuled
GK01
Theo Filippo
ResurrectionRooney
SBSP
dena
Jorlung
El_indian
CollieBuddz
Childish Logic
Roloman4
Gegilworld93
Mal
29 posters

The Atheist Thread

Sean

The Atheist Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Atheist Thread

Post by Sean Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

What was the original point?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

What did he say before the edit?
    Anonymous

Zzonked wrote:
    Splashy wrote:nvm, Neutral

Laughing

I agree with your original post. To me there just seems to be a basic sense of irrationality about it.
    A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes
    Anonymous

SBSP wrote:
    Splashy wrote:
    What questions are there to ask about religion?

"Do you believe in my imaginary friend?"

"Yes I do"
    You're completely ignorant about religion. Someone might want to know something specific about the religion, or they might want some clarification about some concept. Neutral
    And you're ignorant to think all Atheist's share the same views, Some people may want to question or non-belief or put forward there side of the argument, there is also Agnosticism which is kinda in the middle.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

ahlycotc wrote:What did he say before the edit?
    "I dunno, the whole idea just seems stoopid."
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:Nice edit Splashy, avoiding the inevitable "hypocrisy" comments. Smile
    I changed it because he tricked me. Neutral
    Sean

Post by Sean Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 am

Splashy wrote:
    SBSP wrote:You're completely ignorant about religion. Someone might want to know something specific about the religion, or they might want some clarification about some concept. Neutral
    And you're ignorant to think all Atheist's share the same views, Some people may want to question or non-belief or put forward there side of the argument, there is also Agnosticism which is kinda in the middle.

You all share the same view that there is no God, theres very little difference between atheists where their non belief is concerned
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 am

How about this question about atheism:

So how and when did you atheists here realise there was no god? smug Mischief
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 am

MickStupp wrote:How about this question about atheism:

So how and when did you atheists here realise there was no god? The Atheist Thread - Page 5 601554 The Atheist Thread - Page 5 784961
    When God felt it was the right time.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 am

The thing is, the atheists in this thread just bash religion by posting internet memes. That's hardly "sharing of different beliefs and opinions". At the very least, this thread serves no purpose.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Splashy wrote:nvm, Neutral

Laughing

I agree with your original post. To me there just seems to be a basic sense of irrationality about it.
    A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 am

Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.

Which is false. There is plenty of reasoning and thinking behind religion. Even if we were to assume that all religions were created by man, a lot of reasoning and thinking went into it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am

Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am

I think I am agnostic. I don't believe in anything but I like learning about other religions.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?
    I disagree with the notion that these are "good" reasons to believe in god. I accept that you may not think like me, I don't find comfort in something I see no evidence for. I don't believe in god for scientific reasons, even if it is what you would think of as depressing.

Oh and you do not know you will be with Christ after death, you were right with strong belief.

Last edited by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 am

ahlycotc wrote:The thing is, the atheists in this thread just bash religion by posting internet memes. That's hardly "sharing of different beliefs and opinions". At the very least, this thread serves no purpose.
    This is true. This thread is more anti-religion than atheism.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:27 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Which is false. There is plenty of reasoning and thinking behind religion. Even if we were to assume that all religions were created by man, a lot of reasoning and thinking went into it.

I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

So basically you only believe in religion because it's an emotional crutch that helps you live your life? That isn't based on reason, that's based on emotion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 am

Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?

So basically you only believe in religion because it's an emotional crutch that helps you live your life? That isn't based on reason, that's based on emotion.
    The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 am

Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?

Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 am

Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    Spot on.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 am

Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

True, but no-one is saying that.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?

The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:32 am

MickStupp wrote:
    Sarmz wrote:

Plenty of people are certain there is no god. You don't see people questioning their intelligence though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    Who is to say what was not logical thousands of years ago? Just over 200 years ago it was expected, if not encouraged that you be racist towards black people. How does that appear today? Who knows what might seem irrational 200 years from now?

Last edited by InGlennyWeTrust on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

I wouldn't say equally irrational, however it would be irrational, yes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

No because scientist's etc put forawrd evidence to support our non-belief.

What has religion got, An ancient book? Neutral
    LeBron

Formerly known as : Spider
    Supports : Man Red.

Post by LeBron Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 am

i need a poo.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 am

Sarmz wrote:
    MickStupp wrote:

Plenty of people are certain there is no god. You don't see people questioning their intelligence though.
    Like who? I would certainly challenge their beliefs, since they cannot prove definitively that there is no god. But the vast majority of atheists have a degree of agnosticism.

Last edited by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 am

InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Who is to say what was not logical thousands of years ago? Just over 200 years ago it was expected, if not encouraged that you be racist towards black people. How does that appear today? Who knows what might seem irrational 200 years from now?

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that they had terrible information thousands of years ago and that's what the bible is based on? Doesn't that just give you even less reason behind taking it as fact?
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 am

Zzonked wrote:

rofl

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:43 pm