Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Vexxed
Jorlung
SBSP
Grenade
Barton
Steadman
Danny
dena
Jordi
El Jefe
luke.
Laurencio
ShakerMatty
moscowmadeit3
Kuled
Mason
Keanoo
Ben 10
coolhead33
GK01
Mouse
Sean
26 posters

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United

Sean

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United Empty Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United

Post by Sean Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:38 am

In a PL sense shifty

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/30/chelsea-premier-league-icon-manchester-united

We are in the 20th season of the Premier League, and Sir Alex Ferguson has been in charge of Manchester United for an astounding 25 years. Does that make his the most famous face in English football, or just the most likely to turn puce? If one were looking for a single iconic figure to sum up the Premier League years, ought it to be a manager in any case? Surely the people the world is watching are the players. So let's have a brief consideration of Premier League icons past and present, what it takes to be the ultimate icon, and why Chelsea might be more emblematic of the past 20 years of top tier English football than United.

There. I thought that would grab your attention. Clearly United have won far more of the Premier League shiny stuff than Chelsea, and there is no question that they are the most famous club in the country, and deservedly so. The EPL is a worldwide brand, however, that's why people writing comments at the bottom of this article keep referring to it as the EPL, and though I am not about to suggest that Chelsea have a bigger global fan-base than United or are more famous in other corners of the world, I do think they might be more iconic. Of the EPL, I mean. Because United have always been around, haven't they? They were iconic in the 50s and 60s, with the Busby Babes, Bobby Charlton and El Beatle. They are arguably even more famous now, although possibly not by much, but they predate the Premier League much too conspicuously to be synonymous with something only 20 years old.

So do Liverpool, one could argue, though since Liverpool's Premier League story is one of falling short of their previous standards, they cannot be considered EPL icons anyway. Like United, Liverpool are icons of English football, and their 2005 Champions League success was certainly emblematic of the virtues of English football, but once again their most famous storylines have been constructed outside the Premier League narrative, some of them even outside the Premier League era.

Whereas Chelsea, with due respect to the 1955 title-winning side and the famously entertaining era of Peter Osgood, Charlie Cooke and Chopper Harris, are almost entirely an EPL construct. They started grabbing headlines and attention in the early years of the Premier League, through Glenn Hoddle, Ruud Gullit, and Gianluca Vialli, but when Roman Abramovich moved in with his money, turfed out Claudio Ranieri and bankrolled José Mourinho, the EPL found its USP. That means the Premier League finally discovered what it was really good at, and began to do it better than anyone else in football history. To wit, spending colossal amounts of foreign money on foreign players who nevertheless provided value by coming up with results and excitement.

There is no way that what Mourinho achieved at Chelsea comes close to matching what Ferguson achieved at United – how could it, given the disparity in years in the job? – but what Mourinho achieved at Chelsea was a story that went round the world and was lapped up in every corner. The past, incredible, 25 years at United have been essentially an English story, or at least an Anglo-Scottish story, on a more impressive scale but still borrowing plot-lines from Busby and Bill Shankly. There was no real precedent for the Russian revolution at Chelsea. Rich men have backed football clubs before, but few so rich, and few with such immediate, spectacular success in a league that suddenly the whole world wanted to watch.

That is why my vote would go to Didier Drogba in a poll to find the most iconic Premier League player, even if his time in England may be drawing to a close. It has to be a foreigner, for a start, anything else would be less than honest. Drogba is a marvellous mix of ability, athleticism, bravery and brute force, with none too subtle undertones of pantomime comedy occasionally shading into high drama, and he's at the right club. We'll miss him when he's gone.

I do not say Drogba is a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo, or Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Gianfranco Zola, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel, David Silva or any of the other foreign players to have graced the Premier League, just that he is more instantly recognisable by a greater proportion of the world's population, which is more or less what an icon is supposed to be. The dictionary does mention something about the need to be uncritically admired as well as immediately recognisable, which would cut the above list to perhaps Bergkamp, Henry, Silva and Zola, but we are talking about footballers here, not religious icons, and you would have to go a long way to find anyone who did not enjoy watching Drogba's famous bit of stage business with Jens Lehmann a few years ago.

Obviously there are English icons too, take your pick from David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Alan Shearer, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney and a few others, plus assorted Welshmen in Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale, but half of those are shy, retiring types and the most conspicuously recognisable has worked almost as hard on his recognisability as he has on his football. It may seem perverse to overlook Beckham in an evaluation of anything iconic, though it should be remembered that, though a Londoner, Beckham deliberately attached himself to United in the first place. Before the advent of the Premier League and because of their iconic status. Whether that makes him more or less iconic than George Best in their respective eras is the subject for a debate on another day, but Drogba does not come with any such complications. You just can't miss the Chelsea striker.

I remember watching him play for Marseille against Newcastle and thinking he was made for the Premier League. Mourinho must have agreed. He's not subtle, but he's great viewing. Like the EPL himself, he never hides. He is big, obvious and available. On the pitch, that is, I didn't mean to liken him to a sitcom barmaid. Although he has been known to resemble a big girl's blouse.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United Empty Re: Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United

Post by Mouse Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

No.
    Anonymous

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United Empty Re: Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 am

Close thread.
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:47 am

No, just no.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:50 am

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United Plastic

We teh biggest club in Premier League. GO CHELSEA.

coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 am

The biggest plastic team in the league is what is meant.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 am

Bet Chelsea fans think they have it real bad atm Laughing try being a PNE fan
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 am

Oh god
    Mason
    Mason

Supports : Coventry City

Post by Mason Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 am

Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United 70955
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 am

Nein.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 am

Chelsea were only good when they were the only rich club in the League. Now that the other big clubs can compete, they're average again.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 am

Ben 10 wrote:Bet Chelsea fans think they have it real bad atm Laughing try being a PNE fan
    But then I could say try being a team that are worse off than PNE. Neutral
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 am

Seriously.. Neutral
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 am

Oh lord. facepalm
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Ben 10 wrote:Bet Chelsea fans think they have it real bad atm Laughing try being a PNE fan
    But then I could say try being a team that are worse off than PNE. Neutral

True but i'm a PNE fan and they're going through a rough patch so I know what it's like.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 am

Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 am

Ben 10 wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:But then I could say try being a team that are worse off than PNE. Neutral

True but i'm a PNE fan and they're going through a rough patch so I know what it's like.
    I know, but when you're a Chelsea fan this is a rough patch too, just the team you support and expectation levels.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:12 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Ben 10 wrote:

I know, but when you're a Chelsea fan this is a rough patch too, just the team you support and expectation levels.

Most Chelsea fans are plastic cunts though so they don't really give a fuck e.g Luke
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 am

Prestons keeper. wank 2
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 am

Burytilidie wrote:Prestons keeper. Why Chelsea are bigger than Man United 13664

Leeds want him now apparently. They can fuck off.
    coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:16 am

Ben 10 wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:I know, but when you're a Chelsea fan this is a rough patch too, just the team you support and expectation levels.

Most Chelsea fans are plastic cunts though so they don't really give a fuck e.g Luke
    This.

Even if they do go through rough patches, it's nothing compared to the rough patches that proper fans go through. They don't travel the length and width of the country only to see their team get hammered week in week out. They can easily get over it if watching on the TV but we have to travel back home which is hard in many ways.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 am

coolhead33 wrote:
    Ben 10 wrote:

This.

Even if they do go through rough patches, it's nothing compared to the rough patches that proper fans go through. They don't travel the length and width of the country only to see their team get hammered week in week out. They can easily get over it if watching on the TV but we have to travel back home which is hard in many ways.

This as well.

I remember in the 2009 semi-finals of the play-offs. We got a 1-1 draw at home v Sheffield United in the first leg and I was genuinly confident going to Bramall Lane and winning. We lost and I was gutted, cried a bit I admit but it's because I was passionate.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 am

I think this guy missed the entire 90s...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 am

Can't stand when people support shit teams and think they're better than everyone else.
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 am

Noticed a lot of people have stopped supporting Chelsea if they don't win anything again this year a lot of their support will drop off again.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 am

Burytilidie wrote:Noticed a lot of people have stopped supporting Chelsea if they don't win anything again this year a lot of their support will drop off again.
    Who are these people?
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 am

kyro7 wrote:Can't stand when people support shit teams and think they're better than everyone else.
    We're not saying we are its just when people say Chelsea are going through a rough patch, how are they? They are still up there in the premier league and still in the Champions League for the time being.
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:23 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Burytilidie wrote:Noticed a lot of people have stopped supporting Chelsea if they don't win anything again this year a lot of their support will drop off again.
    Who are these people?
    They had to give free tickets out for a Champions League game the other week, a few years ago they would have easily sold out.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 am

kyro7 wrote:Can't stand when people support shit teams and think they're better than everyone else.

This. Sad
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 am

Burytilidie wrote:
    We're not saying we are its just when people say Chelsea are going through a rough patch, how are they? They are still up there in the premier league and still in the Champions League for the time being.
    For them, it's a rough patch.. just like Ben moaning about Preston, what are they mid table in League One? Bradford would fucking love to be there, you can't judge what's a rough patch so lightly because you support a not so good team, if Chelsea are used to being solid and challenging, when they're not doing that so much, it's a fucking rough patch. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 am