Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Weather130
Emma
SophisticatedBeggar
Gegilworld93
Grenade
9 posters

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player

Anonymous

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player Empty Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:54 am

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player Bilbao

There were four minutes to go against Sevilla on Sunday evening and Athletic Bilbao were on course for their first victory at the Sánchez Pizjuán in 18 years when the coach Marcelo Bielsa made his final substitution.

Off came Iñigo Pérez and on went Jonas Ramalho. Ramalho is an 18-year-old who can play at right back and center back and on this occasion was asked to play in central midfield. He is tall and quick, he is good in possession, he is Iker Muniaín's best friend, and he is a European Champion at the U19 level.
    He is also black.

Ramalho is the first black player ever to play for the club. He had made an appearance for Athletic as a 14-year-old in a pre-season friendly, he was included in the squad that faced Werder Bremen in the Europa League and he played for Athletic in a friendly against Paraguay. But this, at last, was his competitive debut in the Spanish league. When he came, not only did he break a barrier; he also helped to break one of the remaining myths that surround the Basque club, putting to bed an accusation often sent Athletic's way.

It has taken over 100 years for a black player to make his debut for Athletic. A couple of others have been close: in the 1950s there was talk that they might sign Miguel Jones, born in Equatorial Guinea, but the club decided against it. Half a century later, there were rumours of them signing another man with roots in Equatorial Guinea: the midfielder Benjamín Zarrandona.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sid_lowe/11/23/jonas/index.html#ixzz1edQ0S3NI

Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player Empty Re: Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player

Post by Grenade Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:59 am

In be4 negrito.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player Empty Re: Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:38 am

not worthy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 am

Ramalho grew up in the Basque capital, so I don't see what is so special about this.

I'm more curios if whether he'll decide to play for Spain or Angola.

grenade187 wrote:In be4 negrito.
    He's smaller than me, so he is a negrito to me.
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:20 am

Whats with the negrito thing? I say negro and negrito all the time, and so do most spanish speaking people, when referring to a black guy that is not that big. It isn't negative if that is what people are thinking. Unless you think being black is negative Confused
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:24 am

SophisticatedBeggar wrote:Whats with the negrito thing? I say negro and negrito all the time, and so do most spanish speaking people, when referring to a black guy that is not that big. It isn't negative if that is what people are thinking. Unless you think being black is negative Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 894246

Well Suarez called Evra that and Evra found it offensive.
    Nomsayin?
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 am

cool cool. thanks for the clear up.
    Emma
    Emma

Post by Emma Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 am

The first very fast blackman at Athletic well done yippee
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:47 am

If this guys also happens to be Basque their is no story here.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 am

^ He's Angolan. He was born in Basque country though.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:58 am

ilJuventino wrote:^ He's Angolan. He was born in Basque country though.
    So he's Spanish Neutral

Razz
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:01 am

Makes me think of Chivas' last Black player. Edoardo Isella. not worthy

Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 141342hp2

Come to think of it, I can only think of a handful of Mexican players who are also Black.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:Makes me think of Chivas' last Black player. Edoardo Isella. Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 914411

Come to think of it, I can only think of a handful of Mexican players who are also Black.
    Does Giovani count? shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:30 am

SophisticatedBeggar wrote:Whats with the negrito thing? I say negro and negrito all the time, and so do most spanish speaking people, when referring to a black guy that is not that big. It isn't negative if that is what people are thinking. Unless you think being black is negative Confused
    Este maricon Evra piense q es un termino racista y Suarez (not worthy) fue multado.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:34 am

As long as he is basque, then this isn't such big news.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:54 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:
    Ché Guayaba wrote:Makes me think of Chivas' last Black player. Edoardo Isella. Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 914411

Does Giovani count? Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 279869
    He and his brother are two of the handful I can think of off the top of my head.

The others are Marvin Piñon, Roberto Nurse(the Mexican Drogba) Melvin Brown, Tomas Campos, and Joshua Abrego, not really sure if that last one is actually Black or not. shifty

By the way, only mentioning footballers that are still active.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 am

polska. wrote:
    SophisticatedBeggar wrote:Whats with the negrito thing? I say negro and negrito all the time, and so do most spanish speaking people, when referring to a black guy that is not that big. It isn't negative if that is what people are thinking. Unless you think being black is negative Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 894246
    Este maricon Evra piense q es un termino racista y Suarez (Athletic Bilbao's First Black Player 914411) fue multado.
    Cállate, pinche polaco Neutral

Wink
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:57 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:He and his brother are two of the handful I can think of off the top of my head.

The others are Marvin Piñon, Roberto Nurse(the Mexican Drogba) Melvin Brown, Tomas Campos, and Joshua Abrego, not really sure if that last one is actually Black or not. shifty

Hernandez is black on the inside.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:58 am

And on the outside too, I saw him in the shower once.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:59 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:And on the outside too, I saw him in the shower once.
    Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 am

His mother is Basque.
    XavIniesta_6
    XavIniesta_6

Post by XavIniesta_6 Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:27 am

If Italy can do it, anyone can Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:31 am

Rei Andros wrote:

His mother is Basque.

I didn't know that although I'm sure he would've been eligible to play on the team simply by being born in the area.

XavIniesta_6 wrote:If Italy can do it, anyone can Laughing

That was a good one. Neutral
    XavIniesta_6
    XavIniesta_6

Post by XavIniesta_6 Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 am

lol seriously bro, Italy is pretty racist, I never thought I would see the day where I would see a black player represent the colors. Same with Spain in Marcos Senna's case. I have family in Milan (they aren't Italian, but Senegalese immigrants)nd they said they dealt with a few nasty situations regarding racism.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:39 am

I want to see a Black Russian player first.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 am

XavIniesta_6 wrote:lol seriously bro, Italy is pretty racist, I never thought I would see the day where I would see a black player represent the colors. Same with Spain in Marcos Senna's case. I have family in Milan (they aren't Italian, but Senegalese immigrants)nd they said they dealt with a few nasty situations regarding racism.

Racism isn't exclusive to Italy. Racism in football is much worse in Spain than it is in Italy. Anyways, black players and black Italian players specifically, have been brought up through the youth ranks and featured in senior sides for a long time now. It's not a shocking phenomenon.

This particular case is different because it doesn't have anything to do with racism. Immigration from Africa to the Basque country is not that high to begin with, so seeing a black player breaking through for a club like Bilbao is indeed a surprise and there isn't anything wrong with that. Hats off to him.
    XavIniesta_6
    XavIniesta_6

Post by XavIniesta_6 Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 am

I rarely see it but you're right. Didn't mean to offend you btw.
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Ché Guayaba wrote:He and his brother are two of the handful I can think of off the top of my head.

rofl rofl what happened to that guy?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Es goleador con los super poderosos Reboceros de La Piedad. not worthy

I'm being serious too, his exploits have even made him catch the eye of the Panamanian National Football Team, and there is a rumor that he may be called up soon. I'm sure this is obvious now, but Nurse is of Panamanian decent.

First goal was a golazo. not worthy

I used to love this dude back in 2007 when he played for Queretaro. Tall, fast and powerful. He also had the eccentricity that in a lot of the goals he scored he would fall over and it would look like he tripped over his own feet. By the way that hasn't changed. Laughing

In the above video Margarito Gonzalez also makes a cameo. Used to love that dude too, also from that same Queretaro team, he used to have a really powerful shot, I remember a while ago he even knocked some guy out with his shot. Laughing

Margarito Gonzalez, La Seleccion se olvido de ti. not worthy
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:24 am

Well since this guy was born in the Basque country then this is not really news. I think that Athletic Bilbao will consider signing anyone born in the Basque country no matter their background. I wonder if Bilbao would change their ways if they were relegated and some of their stars left?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 2:10 am