Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Steadman
Danny
Weather130
Keanoo
Pippo
Theo Filippo
10 posters

Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule

Anonymous

Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule Empty Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 am

Brazil's 2014 World Cup will see potential travel trauma for fans - and the latest kick-off times ever for a finals tournament with matches starting as late as 2200, or 0200 in Britain.

FIFA has performed a U-turn on promises to cluster teams in sectors to minimise travel distances. Instead, it was announced today that teams will play each group match in a different city - some up to 2,000 miles apart.

The group stages will see matches kicking off at four different times - 1300, 1600, 1900 and 2200, with the British summer time equivalent being four hours later.

The knockout stages will be more suited to European prime time, with the latest kick-off being 1700 in Brazil, or 2100 in the UK. The final in Rio de Janeiro's Maracana Stadium will take place at 1600 - 2000 BST.

The distances that fans may have to travel could be a major concern. For example, one team in Group A will have to play the opening match of the tournament in Sao Paulo, their second match 2,000 miles away in Manaus, and the third in Recife - another three-and-a-half-hour flight away, or a 5,700-kilometres road trip through the Amazon jungle.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said: "The teams will travel around so the host cities will have all the teams, and you can have the best teams, the seeded teams in all the cities.''

Last year, Valcke said they would consider splitting Brazil into four regions, rather than having teams travel around the entire country.

He said then: "Brazil is a continent, not just a country, so we may divide it into four pieces to make sure that fans do not have to travel (fly) more than one or two hours from one stadium to the other.''

Organisers said the decision to move the teams between the different areas of the country was partly to ensure that individual sides did not benefit from playing games all in the cooler climate of the south of Brazil.

Ricardo Trade, head of operations for the 2014 World Cup, said: "The climate is so different you do not want to give an advantage to one country over another.''
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/971979/brazil-2014-unveil-world-cup-schedule?cc=5901

Well all that traveling would suck.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule Empty Re: Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule

Post by Theo Filippo Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 am

Late games cheers
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule Empty Re: Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule

Post by Pippo Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:25 am

22:00 eek2

Hopefully I am alive at 2014 and can watch a game at this hour.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:28 am

I doubt The Playmaker will be around then.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 am

Keanoo wrote:I doubt The Playmaker will be around then.

The Playmaker is immortal.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 am

This is just too much travel for a short amount of time. It looks like they have ruined the World Cup already even without anyone qualified. This is sad.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:43 am

Weather130 wrote:This is just too much travel for a short amount of time. It looks like they have ruined the World Cup already even without anyone qualified. This is sad.

Brazil have qualified. Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule 3925848005
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 am

I'm thinking of going to Brazil 2014 not worthy

As long as Poland or Venezuela qualifies I guess..
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 am

2am kick offs? I'm up for that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 am

Danny wrote:2am kick offs? I'm up for that.
    You'll be in University then. Have fun with that.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

Post by Steadman Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 am

polska. wrote:
    Danny wrote:2am kick offs? I'm up for that.
    You'll be in University then. Have fun with that.
    It's in the summer Polska.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:56 am

Brazil is not a continent.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 am

Keanoo wrote:
    Weather130 wrote:This is just too much travel for a short amount of time. It looks like they have ruined the World Cup already even without anyone qualified. This is sad.

Brazil have qualified. Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule 3925848005

I think everyone with half a brain knows that but no one that has to play into it yet are in.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 am

polska. wrote:I'm thinking of going to Brazil 2014 Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule 914411

Ohh it would be odd if they both manage to make it and get put in the same group that might be too much to handle. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 am

Steadman wrote:
    polska. wrote:You'll be in University then. Have fun with that.
    It's in the summer Polska.
    Truuu

Weather130 wrote:
    polska. wrote:I'm thinking of going to Brazil 2014 Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule 914411

Ohh it would be odd if they both manage to make it and get put in the same group that might be too much to handle. Laughing

Unless Poland actually becomes a good footballing nation and rises in the coefficiences in the EURO and WC qualification... I'd expect both nations to be drawn in the bottom pot. pray
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 am

polska. wrote:

Unless Poland actually becomes a good footballing nation and rises in the coefficiences in the EURO and WC qualification... I'd expect both nations to be drawn in the bottom pot. Brazil 2014 unveil World Cup schedule 9905

If the World Cup was seeded by FIFA rankings this might be the case but it is not done that way. Since they only want at max two European teams in a group the unseeded European sides have their own pot so the only way Venezuela and Poland would be in the same pot would be if somehow they were both seeded. I do believe your way of thinking is followed in all of the other draws except for the World Cup so that is an easy mistake to make.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:47 am

I would like to see Egypt in a World Cup before I die.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Where I live, that's 9 A.M., 12 noon, 3 P.M., and 6 P.M. eek2
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

SBSP wrote:Where I live, that's 9 A.M., 12 noon, 3 P.M., and 6 P.M. eek2

I was starting to freak out and then remembered you are 3 hours behind us.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Why would that freak you out? shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 pm

SBSP wrote:Why would that freak you out? shifty

I would miss a lot of the games because it's in the middle of the day. I don't know how you guys would do it.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Because I don't have a life and stay at home all day in the summer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm

SBSP wrote:Because I don't have a life and stay at home all day in the summer.

Oh yeah, you are in school. Neutral

Who knows, maybe I will be at the stadiums come World Cup time. It will depend on if Egypt can make it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:28 pm

You just pick a hub and stay there for the group stages and then move around. Nothing major.

I'm planning to go and I'll probably stay in and around Sao Paulo. Try to get down there early so I can catch a few Santos before the league goes on a break. Cool
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 pm

So is this what he's saying:

For example, a team like England will play in one part of the country, then have their other games in other parts of the country, which could be 1+ hours in flight away? That's a horrible idea. Most, in this case English, fans cannot afford to travel back and forth across the fucking jungle.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Mustangt125 wrote:So is this what he's saying:

For example, a team like England will play in one part of the country, then have their other games in other parts of the country, which could be 1+ hours in flight away? That's a horrible idea. Most, in this case English, fans cannot afford to travel back and forth across the fucking jungle.

Pretty much. Since Brazil is so large (some of it will be in the summer while the rest is in the winter), they don't want teams to get an advantage of the different weather conditions. So during the group phase, teams could be playing matches in stadiums very far apart. That would mean lots of traveling (and more importantly cost) to the fans.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I should have explained myself further. The group stages will have different hubs, so each group will play all their matches in a particular area to reduce travelling costs. That's what I meant by pick a hub.

The matter gets complicated when teams have to move later in the tournament. Brazil is so huge that the summer has many different weather patterns around the country. So in the north it'll be tropical, a bit colder in the middle, and then it'll be winter weather in the southern cities.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah but isn't like 80% of Brazil a jungle?

I plan on going at the moment, but I wanted to go to Sao Paolo as long as a white American down there can survive. But I certainly won't be able to travel back and forth across the country.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Also in Brazil some parts of the country are not big time football fans. I read that last year there was a game where only 11 people showed up to attend.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Brazilians are generally not big on going to games unless they're big derbies. Santos have had a number of home attendances in the 2000-4000 range this season (the Vila Belmiro is approx. a 20,000 seater. The lower down the leagues you go the lower it gets. Then you have to figure in the fact that in some parts of the country the local teams aren't even supported that much since the media focuses on the big teams in Sao Paulo and Rio, so many locals end up supporting one of those big teams,

That being said, there are exceptions. Santa Cruz got 60,000 for a promotion game to Serie C which is astounding. Would love to see them in the top division.

http://ojogobonito.net/2011/10/16/news-santa-cruz-achieve-promotion-to-serie-c/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am