Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Sean
Lux
El Jefe
Carlos Jenkinson
Danny
Ben
Kuled
luke.
12 posters

Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision.

luke.
    luke.

Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision. Empty Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision.

Post by luke. Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:13 am

Mauricio Espinosa was the assistant referee thrust into the harsh glare of public scrutiny when he failed to spot Frank Lampard's shot spin over the line during the Germany - England second round match during World Cup 2010.

Despite having been largely outplayed by Germany, England had halved a 2-0 deficit moments before Lampard's 39th minute effort, which would have seen England draw level had it been awarded. But it was mistakenly disallowed, and Germany went on to win 4-1.

Uruguayan Espinosa recently took time out from his full-time profession as a teacher to discuss that incident with Goal.com, and the fall-out surrounding one of the most controversial moments in the history of the tournament.

Goal.com: Let’s start with your particular job. How has teaching been compatible with officiating?

Mauricio Espinosa: This is sometimes the hardest part, trying to reconcile the job with officiating. Fortunately I have received support in all the high schools where I have worked. My peers and my managers have supported me as well, and this is a fundamental part, to permit me to recover lost class time on occasions.

Goal.com: What is your assessment of 2010 in general?

M.E.: 2010 was a spectacular year for me. To reach the World Cup in South Africa was very rewarding. It was a dream come true to have reached it, even though it did not finish in the way I would have wanted. I evaluated my performance in 2010 and found it to be very satisfactory. Being able to work with Pablo [Fandino, assistant] and Jorge [Larrionda, referee], helped me because I learned many things.

I say it did not finish well because we had a mistake in play. A goal is a goal, and it had a tremendous significance. We did not want the notoriety for what happened to us. We wanted a peaceful end, without anyone talking to us about what happened.

Goal.com: How do you assess the 'goal' from Frank Lampard?

M.E.: I have been an assistant referee for 10 years. Throughout this time our preparation for the World Cup took on many things, from a physical, technical and psychological standpoint. I could referee for another 15 years, and such an incident would not happen again. I was 150 per cent prepared, but in incidents like that you cannot do anything. I have peace of mind that I did everything I had to do, and was ready and prepared to give my best.

Goal.com: Many international referees have defended you, arguing you cannot see the goal from your position.

M.E.: The play developed outside the penalty area, 20 metres from the goal-line, and involved a move where Lampard hit a surprise shot which hits the crossbar, bounces down, and then re-enters the field. I missed the most important part, which was the bounce. The ball was already back into the field and was gone. I had not seen anything because I was fulfilling my role controlling offside, in a position far from the goal-line. Factors occurred which meant I could not see the ball.

Goal.com: How did you feel when you saw the replay on TV?

M.E.: I saw the replay after the game. We had a TV in the dressing room, but as a rule we waited until after the game, because we believed watching a play at half-time, whether good or bad, does not help. We had a feeling of helplessness when we saw it. We had been prepared for a lot of things but you cannot prepare for that.

Goal.com: Were you surprised by the impact it had?

M.E.: A goal in a World Cup is a goal. It is a key play. It is a decisive move, and we knew that it would have an impact. The truth is, I stand by the opinion of the people who really know the fundamentals of the situation.

Goal.com: What was your students' reaction?

M.E.: In class we try to avoid talking about football, but at recess the students gather and talk about the controversial incidents, and they always ask my opinion. I think it is important not to rely on the opinion given by others. I think it is important to look objectively at football. As much as people are passionate, fans have to look objectively at things.

Goal.com: Is your goal now to reach World Cup 2014?

M.E.: I am now going to prepare for the World Cup in Brazil in 2014. I will give maximum effort to prepare for matches, as always. If I have the luck to be given another World Cup, I will be happy. If not, I will continue working in the same way.
    Kuled

Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision. Empty Re: Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision.

Post by Kuled Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:24 am

Ok.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision. Empty Re: Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision.

Post by Ben Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:25 am

Kuled wrote:Ok.

Laughing
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:37 am

"I was 150% prepered"

Is that why you missed what even my mum saw through the TV?

Fucking cunt Neutral
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:37 am

Kuled wrote:Ok.

Why are you repeating what your mum said when I asked her for anal?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:42 am

Bitter English.

Mistakes happen, calm down.

Atleast you didn't get a penalty awarded to the opposition in the last minute of the game for "compensation" due to an earlier goal which was a millimeter offside that had been counted.

Heartbreaking that moment.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:Bitter English.

Atleast you didn't get a penalty awarded to the opposition in the last minute of the game for "compensation" due to an earlier goal which was a millimeter offside that had been counted.

You call us bitter and then say that?

Hypocrite.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:44 am

Tbh, when you're a ref it can be difficult to spot things like that. As he said, it all happens so quickly.

FIFA are the cunts for not allowing for video technology. Fuck off Sepp Blatter you fat cunt.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 am

So hope you're just trolling.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 am

luke. wrote:

Hypocrite.
    Laughing fair enough.

My point was that it wasn't the worst thing to ever happen.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 am

I think the replay showed the linesmen were way off considering lampard shot so far out so it wasn't easy to judge on the pitch. I didn't even see it on the tv until the replay showed
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 am

I blame Blatter more tbh, I know that he should have seen it, but if Blatter hadn't made wrong decisions before that then the situation would have never occurred and the goal would have stood.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:
    luke. wrote:

Hypocrite.
    Laughing fair enough.

Yours was in a group stage match, ours was in the knockout stages of the world cup shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 am

That the Austria game you on about?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 am

Cameron_LFC wrote:
    (polskaGOLA) wrote:
    luke. wrote:

Hypocrite.
    Laughing fair enough.

Yours was in a group stage match, ours was in the knockout stages of the world cup shifty
    We might've been able to get to the knockout stages had we got the points against Austria.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:16 am

Hypocrite tbh Polska and you can't escape it...even if you say you're joking you know it.

It was IMMENSELY important for us......that decision could have cost us the World Cup and don't deny it because we could've won that game and then anything could happen. We didn't play that well for the World Cup but then again Spain weren't that great either and they won anyway......
    Sean

Post by Sean Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 am

You woulda lost anyway Neutral
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 am

Tbh, if the goal had stood. I think we'll have won that game. I'll stand by that until I die Neutral
    Sean

Post by Sean Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 am

Danny B wrote:Tbh, if the goal had stood. I think we'll have won that game. I'll stand by that until I die Neutral

rofl

Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:21 am

Sean CFC wrote:You woulda lost anyway Neutral

Really? Come from 2-0 down just before half-time? Changes games goals like that.

And polska. That decision you're on about was a penalty. Your defender pulled some Austrian guys shirt, only got yourselves to blame.
    Sean

Post by Sean Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:22 am

Dan wrote:

Really? Come from 2-0 down just before half-time? Changes games goals like that.

And polska. That decision you're on about was a penalty. Your defender pulled some Austrian guys shirt, only got yourselves to blame.

Germany were far and away the better team than England Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:22 am

Luxz0rz wrote:Hypocrite tbh Polska and you can't escape it...even if you say you're joking you know it.

It was IMMENSELY important for us......that decision could have cost us the World Cup and don't deny it because we could've won that game and then anything could happen. We didn't play that well for the World Cup but then again Spain weren't that great either and they won anyway......

Look at my reply to the one known as Ball's post. Neutral

You wouldn't have won either way. The smashing would've commenced afterwords anyway. Simply a clash of formations (4-5-1 rapes 4-4-2), Capello being a complete utter idiot, and the fact you were dominated in the midfield and your two strikers were choked from chances (again, Capello being utter idiot and clash of formations).

Spain were fantastic. What are you talking about? Yes they played boring football and got 1-0 wins most of the time, but that was what they wanted all along. They played their tactic to perfection and it got them their first trophy.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 am

Sean CFC wrote:
    Danny B wrote:Tbh, if the goal had stood. I think we'll have won that game. I'll stand by that until I die Neutral

Mauricio Espinosa talks about his horror World Cup decision. 70955

Neutral

Think about it, at even at 2-1 to Germany they had the game wrapped up.

But at 2-2 at half time, our confidence would have been sky high. Their's would have been so low because they'd have had to go out and win the game all over again.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 am

luke. wrote:Mauricio Espinosa was the assistant referee thrust into the harsh glare of public scrutiny when he failed to spot Frank Lampard's shot spin over the line during the Germany - England second round match during World Cup 2010.

Despite having been largely outplayed by Germany, England had halved a 2-0 deficit moments before Lampard's 39th minute effort, which would have seen England draw level had it been awarded. But it was mistakenly disallowed, and Germany went on to win 4-1.

Uruguayan Espinosa recently took time out from his full-time profession as a teacher to discuss that incident with Goal.com, and the fall-out surrounding one of the most controversial moments in the history of the tournament.

Goal.com: Let’s start with your particular job. How has teaching been compatible with officiating?

Mauricio Espinosa: This is sometimes the hardest part, trying to reconcile the job with officiating. Fortunately I have received support in all the high schools where I have worked. My peers and my managers have supported me as well, and this is a fundamental part, to permit me to recover lost class time on occasions.

Goal.com: What is your assessment of 2010 in general?

M.E.: 2010 was a spectacular year for me. To reach the World Cup in South Africa was very rewarding. It was a dream come true to have reached it, even though it did not finish in the way I would have wanted. I evaluated my performance in 2010 and found it to be very satisfactory. Being able to work with Pablo [Fandino, assistant] and Jorge [Larrionda, referee], helped me because I learned many things.

I say it did not finish well because we had a mistake in play. A goal is a goal, and it had a tremendous significance. We did not want the notoriety for what happened to us. We wanted a peaceful end, without anyone talking to us about what happened.

Goal.com: How do you assess the 'goal' from Frank Lampard?

M.E.: I have been an assistant referee for 10 years. Throughout this time our preparation for the World Cup took on many things, from a physical, technical and psychological standpoint. I could referee for another 15 years, and such an incident would not happen again. I was 150 per cent prepared, but in incidents like that you cannot do anything. I have peace of mind that I did everything I had to do, and was ready and prepared to give my best.

Goal.com: Many international referees have defended you, arguing you cannot see the goal from your position.

M.E.: The play developed outside the penalty area, 20 metres from the goal-line, and involved a move where Lampard hit a surprise shot which hits the crossbar, bounces down, and then re-enters the field. I missed the most important part, which was the bounce. The ball was already back into the field and was gone. I had not seen anything because I was fulfilling my role controlling offside, in a position far from the goal-line. Factors occurred which meant I could not see the ball.

Goal.com: How did you feel when you saw the replay on TV?

M.E.: I saw the replay after the game. We had a TV in the dressing room, but as a rule we waited until after the game, because we believed watching a play at half-time, whether good or bad, does not help. We had a feeling of helplessness when we saw it. We had been prepared for a lot of things but you cannot prepare for that.

Goal.com: Were you surprised by the impact it had?

M.E.: A goal in a World Cup is a goal. It is a key play. It is a decisive move, and we knew that it would have an impact. The truth is, I stand by the opinion of the people who really know the fundamentals of the situation.

Goal.com: What was your students' reaction?

M.E.: In class we try to avoid talking about football, but at recess the students gather and talk about the controversial incidents, and they always ask my opinion. I think it is important not to rely on the opinion given by others. I think it is important to look objectively at football. As much as people are passionate, fans have to look objectively at things.

Goal.com: Is your goal now to reach World Cup 2014?

M.E.: I am now going to prepare for the World Cup in Brazil in 2014. I will give maximum effort to prepare for matches, as always. If I have the luck to be given another World Cup, I will be happy. If not, I will continue working in the same way.
    lol.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:24 am

Dan wrote:

Austrian guy pulled the defender's shirt as well. It went both ways.

IIRC a proper ref (IE not Webb) would've told them to stop, perhaps give both the offenders yellows, and replayed the free kick. Or atleast that's how I think it should've been.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:26 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:
    Dan wrote:

Austrian guy pulled the defender's shirt as well. It went both ways.

IIRC a proper ref (IE not Webb) would've told them to stop, perhaps give both the offenders yellows, and replayed the free kick. Or atleast that's how I think it should've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG00dOjZBbs

1:29.

No he didn't and it's a penalty.
    Sean

Post by Sean Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:26 am

I can remember like 2 days after the Henry handball thing you were telling us Irish to get over it, yet you guys still talk about this like it stopped you from winning the World Cup.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:27 am

Danny B wrote:
    Sean CFC wrote:

Neutral

But at 2-2 at half time, our confidence would have been sky high. Their's would have been so low because they'd have had to go out and win the game all over again.
    Germany would've had little problem winning it again.

Your idiot coach Capello would've sticked to the 4-4-2, the result in the second half would've been....

Midfield is chocked. You strikers standing on the other half of the pitch doing nothing for 97% of the game, with Germany counter attacking beautifully against England whenever England looses possession in Midfield (which was often seeing as said midfield is chocked). Result? Germany scoring 2-3 goals.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 am

Danny B wrote:
    Sean CFC wrote:

Neutral

No at halftime if we were level we would have a better chance to counter but Germany were the counter attacking kings that WC so in reality we would have still lost, just not to that of a larger margin. We were gash that WC, Germanys chemistry was too good to even say "what if"
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:
    Danny B wrote:
    Sean CFC wrote:

Neutral

Germany would've had little problem winning it again.

Your idiot coach Capello would've sticked to the 4-4-2, the result in the second half would've been....

Midfield is chocked. You strikers standing on the other half of the pitch doing nothing for 97% of the game, with Germany counter attacking beautifully against England whenever England looses possession in Midfield (which was often seeing as said midfield is chocked). Result? Germany scoring 2-3 goals.

We wouldn't have had to go all out attack looking for 2 goals, so we wouldn't have been caught on the break Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 am