Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Barton
Keanoo
Gegilworld93
crump
8 posters

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread

Anonymous

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Empty The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 am

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Ac-lgflag

About the Country

I think there may be a few of you that don't know much about this wonderful place, so here I will fill you in. Antigua and Barbuda is a twin-island nation in the Caribbean. It consists of 2 major inhabited islands (Antigua, Babruda), as well as many other little islands. The country is nicknamed "Land of 365" beaches, due to the many beaches surrounding the island. The Islands culture, language and governance have strongly been influenced by the British Empire, which it was a part of until 1981. I would strongly recommend going to this beautiful country on holiday. I myself have been begging my parents to go there for our family holiday for hours now.

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread 250px-Ac-map

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Dominica_Antigua_and_Barbuda_Caribbean_Open_Trade_Support_Project_mainimg

The Football Team

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Antigua_and_Barbuda_Football

A member of CONCACAF, Antigua and Barbuda are currently ranked 90th in the world. Their highest ever ranking was 83rd, in November 2011, so the future is looking very bright for this small country. In the 2014 World Cup Qualifying, they breezed through their group which contained Haiti, Curaçao and the US Virgin Islands. They won 5 out of their 6 games, losing the once, and scoring 26 goals in the process whilst only conceding 5.

They now head into the next round and will face much tougher opposition. In their group they will face USA, Jamaica and Guatemala. But with young stars coming through, I think it's very possible that they could finish 2nd behind the USA.

Key Players

Dexter Blackstock

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Blackstock_1460346a

By far Antigua and Barbuda's best player, Dexter Blackstock has made no appearances and scored no goals for the nation. In fact, he only received his first call up the other day. Born in Oxford, which is a long way from the Caribbean, Dexter qualifies through his Grandad. As a Forest fan, and with him being a Forest player, I wish him the best of luck and will be following this exciting journey of his

Mikele Leigertwood

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Mikele-Leigertwood_2651370

The Reading defensive midfielder is another Antiguan who qualifies through ancestors. Making 8 appearances for his nation, and scoring 1 goals, he has proved to be an integral part of the National side, just like he is for Championship high-flying Reading. An experienced and strong player who has been around the Championship for a decade now.

Peter Byers

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread 399px-Peter-Byers-09-05-27

Peter Byers is Antigua and Barbuda's all time top scorer at only the age of 27. Astounding. The lightening quick forward has an eye for goal alright, and he managed his feat in only 36 games for his national team. Byers is currently playing for the Los Angeles Blues, and has scored 3 goals in 9 appearances for the side. He started his career at SAP, scoring 73 goals in 79 games for his side. this quickly earnt him a reputation as being one of the world's hottest young talents.
    Anonymous

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Empty Re: The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 am

Was this your geography homework?
    crump
    crump

The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread Empty Re: The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread

Post by crump Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:05 am

I see these teams and think, I could actually play for them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 am

Novi, The Creator wrote:Was this your geography homework?

Nope, it's just a country I take a great interest in Smile

crump wrote:I see these teams and think, I could actually play for them.

I very much doubt you have the quality to play for a team that was ranked 83rd in the world in November i'm afraid Crump.

People always seem to think like this, but when you think logically it would be pretty tough.

Say you come from a town of 85,000 people. You'd have to be in the Top 11.

crump
    crump

Post by crump Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 am

What about a place like San Marino?
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 am

Heskey should have played for them Cry.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 am

I believe Josh Parker is also a key player
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 am

Billy Davies wrote: I myself have been begging my parents to go there for our family holiday for hours now.

Laughing
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:21 am

My second national team. The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread 914411

Didn't know Blackstock played for them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:Heskey should have played for them Cry.

Agreed. Imagine a front 3 of Blackstock, Heskey and Byers? My word.

LoneRanger wrote:I believe Josh Parker is also a key player

I'd say he's more one for the future, although at 21 his progress could be a little better.

The real stars of the future are Prince Walters and Elvis Thomas. I honestly believe that the latter of those 2 players could play for a top class team by the time he's 25. He's only 17 and already made 1 appearance for the National side. At the age of 15 he made 3 appearances for the Under 17's, scoring 5 goals!! Surprised
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 am

I like their flag.

I can see it as a sun setting over the ocean.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:07 am

Nah you should try to play for Montserrat because it is still a British overseas territory. Their star striker plays for Shepshed Dynamo in the Northern Premier League Division One South.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:19 am

Ah weather, just the man!

Do you know who Antigua and Barbuda are playing tonight? I can't seem to find any sites that show the scores of the lower nations
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:22 am

Billy Davies wrote:Ah weather, just the man!

Do you know who Antigua and Barbuda are playing tonight? I can't seem to find any sites that show the scores of the lower nations

Playing in 3 days.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=atg/index.html
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 am

Weather130 wrote:

Nah you should try to play for Montserrat because it is still a British overseas territory. Their star striker plays for Shepshed Dynamo in the Northern Premier League Division One South.
    Laughing
    BigJ0526
    BigJ0526

Post by BigJ0526 Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm

USA starts qualification away there. Could be tricky if we send a experimental side filled with young dudes and all they see is beach and babes..... I think they have a chance to finish 2nd in the group if they can win both their other home fixtures.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:51 am

Billy Davies wrote:Ah weather, just the man!

Wikipedia and FIFA disagree on things so I can not be 100% about anything here. According to Wiki they lost 0-4 to T&T yesterday.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 am

Billy Davies wrote: I myself have been begging my parents to go there for our family holiday for hours now.

It's great! Jolly Beach is the place to be although on Friday and Sunday nights you need to go to Shirley Heights to watch the sunset and join in the party. shifty
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 am

Jolly Beach resort? I was there in 2008. The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread 279869
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 am

Weather130 wrote:

A little follow up to this post, Shepshed Dynamo was actually in the relegation zone after last season but a team above the m resigned from the league after the season, Right now they should actually be playing somewhere in level 9.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 am

Barton wrote:Jolly Beach resort? I was there in 2008. The Antigua and Barbuda National Team Thread 279869

Yeah, I was there in 07. shifty
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 am

You might notice from the squad that most of the players here for Antigua Barracuda FC which plays in the 3rs tier (no promotion or relegation) of United States football pyramid although it is based in Antigua.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am

Monserrat?

What's it like? This could be my ticket out of here man.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 am

crump wrote:Monserrat?

What's it like? This could be my ticket out of here man.

Well since half the island is unhabiatable due to a volcano, I think you should steer clear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:12 pm