Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Lux
Zzonked
Childish Logic
Phadunkin Donuts
Muhkoo
Gegilworld93
Sean
11 posters

Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland

Anonymous

Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland Empty Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 am

Film extra left for dead

A Belfast teenager has told UTV how he thought he was going to die at the hands of a 15-strong gang in the Village area of the city, after they attacked him as he left the film set he was working on as an extra.

James Turley, 18, was confronted by the mob shortly before 4pm on Friday - in the Donegall Road area where a production team had been filming a scene for The Good Man, starring Irish actor Aidan Gillen.

The young movie extra, who is from the Short Strand, was dumped semi-conscious into a wheelie bin and heard one of his attackers declare: "I think he's dead."

James had tried to escape after the car he and four of his friends, all aged between 16 and 18, were travelling in was surrounded and damaged. A window was smashed and a wing mirror pulled off.

While the other teenagers managed to run away, James was caught - despite trying to hide in a nearby house, calling on the family: "Please help me - they're going to kill me."

I started to come around and then I heard them saying: 'That's enough. I think he's dead'.James Turley
    He told UTV he could hear one of the gang shouting: "There's a Taig in there", before they all entered the house and dragged him outside as they beat him.

"The woman (the householder) said: 'Get him out of my garden' and they dragged me out into the alley," James recalled.

"They stamped on my hands, my face. They put me in a bin and were pushing me somewhere. I didn't know where I was going ... When I got put in the bin, I thought that was it.

"I think they realised they couldn't beat me when I was in the bin. They kicked or pushed it over and dragged me out of it and started beating me again."

James, who was knocked unconscious at one point during the attack, managed to get away but the gang kept chasing him until he ran out in front of a car.

The first driver he encountered didn't stop, but a second woman let him into her car and drove him the short distance to the nearby Royal Victoria Hospital.

His mother Donna, whose husband Frank was murdered in 1998, said she thought her son had been killed as she rushed to be by his hospital bedside.

"It's like déjà vu," she said. "I can't remember getting to the hospital. I just kept thinking: 'Please, please, just let him hang on for me'."

The chairman and the CEO of Northern Ireland Screen, Rick Hill and Richard Williams have both spoken out against the attack and said their thoughts were with James, his family and the other crew involved.

"We understand this was an unprovoked attack on a group of young men who were part of the growing positive story of Northern Ireland's burgeoning creative industries," they said.

"This has been a regrettable event and not one which is typical of the industry here, where increased film and television production activity has completed without incident."

Film producer Susan Picken, said that everything had been done to ensure the safety of the cast and crew, adding: "We did have a lot of crew who were looking after them, and we were basing ourselves out of a local community centre - we had liaised in advance with the local community."

We were safe in our own minds that we had done enough to look after everybody.Susan Picken, film producer
    Pottinger Alliance Party councillor Máire Hendron said she was "shocked and appalled" by the news.

"This must have been a terrible ordeal and my thoughts are with the person who was subjected to this," she said.

"The stark contrast between the role this person is playing compared to the brutal and disgusting message that this attack sends out is deeply shocking."

Sinn Féin MLA Alex Maskey said the incident had caused "serious concerns for community relations and safety issues in that part of the city".

"Many of us have spent the last number years working hard to establish far better community relations in the area and we know that this attack is not representative of where the community in south Belfast wants to be," he added.

His party colleague and Lord Mayor of Belfast Niall Ó Donnghaile said a number of people were left "deeply traumatised" by the incident.

He said: "We are rightfully encouraging our young people to take part and pursue careers within the new and creative industries - themselves potent symbols of a changed and better Belfast - yet there is still a minority who would seek to engage in sectarian violence.

"We will continue to play our part with everyone in our community to ensure those people are faced down and that young people, regardless of where they come from, are able to move around their own city free from sectarian harassment and violence."

Ulster Unionist councillor Bob Stoker also branded the attack "absolutely despicable".

He added: "I think it is nothing short of wanton thuggery and these people have to be dealt with by the community, by the police and by the court system.

"They are in no way representative of this community. We need people to stand up and have the courage to say, 'I saw them doing it and I'm going to identify them'.

"The community will be completely in support of anybody who does this."

Police are investigating the attack.

© UTV News

Disgusting bastards, and it's appauling the woman told them to get him out of her garden. I hope they burn in hell.
    Anonymous

Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland Empty Re: Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 am

We understand this was an unprovoked attack on a group of young men who were part of the growing positive story of Northern Ireland's burgeoning creative industries,"

Is that some sort of euphemism?
    Anonymous

Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland Empty Re: Can't believe this shit still goes on in Northern Ireland

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 am

What the fuck? This is in Britain too, If it was in a country in Eastern Europe, but northern Ireland, Wtf?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 am

Adz wrote:What the fuck? This is in Britain too, If it was in a country in Eastern Europe, but northern Ireland, Wtf?

I'm referring to the sectarian motive
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 am

I fucking hate this country.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 am

They do have problems no doubt about it Sad
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

Adz wrote:What the fuck? This is in Britain too, If it was in a country in Eastern Europe, but northern Ireland, Wtf?

Northern Ireland especially are worse off than some, if not most east European countries (in capital areas at least). Now still in this day lack of education is triumphed by the same type of religious(political as well) nuts and hate-mongers we see the media portray from Arabic countries, and in our own at times. That they are a part of GB still and nothing serious has been done about this problem for the last... 400 or so years? Baffles me
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 am

So is this why James is such a try-hard prick on here?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

I remember reading an article about how the UK is one of the most intolerable(as in doesn't tolerate, not that it sucks there, that study is still in effect. shifty) countries in the west and the article specifically pointed out that out of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales the most intolerable of the four was Northern Ireland.

I wish I could find it but it had some really shocking numbers in it, it claimed that 68 percent of the people interviewed said that they did not want to have a neighbor that was homosexual or non-white.

Of course it was probably a shit baseless article to begin with.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

These guys sound like idiots. They put him in a bin and then were disappointing to see they couldn't beat him anymore? They couldn't tell if the kid was dead or not? Numbskulls.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:03 am

Ché Guayaba wrote:I remember reading an article about how the UK is one of the most intolerable(as in doesn't tolerate, not that it sucks there, that study is still in effect. shifty) countries in the west and the article specifically pointed out that out of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales the most intolerable of the four was Northern Ireland.

I wish I could find it but it had some really shocking numbers in it, it claimed that 68 percent of the people interviewed said that they did not want to have a neighbor that was homosexual or non-white.

It's different in Northern Ireland because it's not really about black or whites is about Catholics and Protestants. The discrimination against Catholics still happens today (also very much in Scotland it's just as bad as NI at times.

I watched a documentary recently about the 12th of July parades in Belfast and they interviewed very young children and the things they were saying were pretty shocking, "kill all taigs (catholics)" was something that kept popping up. It was one of those "Vice guide to ___" documentaries.

Last edited by The Maestro on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 am

Only in the UK.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 am

ahlycotc wrote:Only in the UK.
    And Latin America apparently.

No wait, you get killed over motorcycles and blackberries instead. My bad.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 am

The Maestro wrote:
    Ché Guayaba wrote:I remember reading an article about how the UK is one of the most intolerable(as in doesn't tolerate, not that it sucks there, that study is still in effect. shifty) countries in the west and the article specifically pointed out that out of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales the most intolerable of the four was Northern Ireland.

It's different in Northern Ireland because it's not really about black or whites is about Catholics and Protestants. The discrimination against Catholics still happens today (also very much in Scotland it's just as bad as NI at times.

I watched a documentary recently about the 12th of July parades in Belfast and they interviewed very young children and the things they were saying were pretty shocking, "kill all taigs (catholics)" was something that kept popping up. It was one of those "Vice guide to ___" documentaries.

that doesn't make a difference. Still intolerable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am

What do you mean NZG?
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 am

The Maestro wrote:What do you mean NZG?

Your post seems to imply it is okay because it isn't about race.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:12 am

Not what I said at all or anything close. Suspect
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

My dads from Belfast, a guy he knew got handcuffed to a bin and tortured until he died, among many many other stories. Neutral

Edit: This is obviously when shit was really going down over there though. Things have improved since.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:45 am

The Maestro wrote:Not what I said at all or anything close. Suspect

"imply"
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

Ban all churches and send them all to science summer school from birth and this will stop Smile
    Roloman4
    Roloman4

Supports : LDU, Selección Ecuatoriana de Fútbol

Post by Roloman4 Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 am

LOL religion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

Roloman4 wrote:LOL religion.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 pm

My old driving instructor was in the Army and got sent to Ireland back in the 80s. Some of the things he was telling me Neutral Fucking mental.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

The Maestro wrote:
    Film extra left for dead

A Belfast teenager has told UTV how he thought he was going to die at the hands of a 15-strong gang in the Village area of the city, after they attacked him as he left the film set he was working on as an extra.

James Turley, 18, was confronted by the mob shortly before 4pm on Friday - in the Donegall Road area where a production team had been filming a scene for The Good Man, starring Irish actor Aidan Gillen.

The young movie extra, who is from the Short Strand, was dumped semi-conscious into a wheelie bin and heard one of his attackers declare: "I think he's dead."

James had tried to escape after the car he and four of his friends, all aged between 16 and 18, were travelling in was surrounded and damaged. A window was smashed and a wing mirror pulled off.

While the other teenagers managed to run away, James was caught - despite trying to hide in a nearby house, calling on the family: "Please help me - they're going to kill me."

I started to come around and then I heard them saying: 'That's enough. I think he's dead'.James Turley
    He told UTV he could hear one of the gang shouting: "There's a Taig in there", before they all entered the house and dragged him outside as they beat him.

"The woman (the householder) said: 'Get him out of my garden' and they dragged me out into the alley," James recalled.

"They stamped on my hands, my face. They put me in a bin and were pushing me somewhere. I didn't know where I was going ... When I got put in the bin, I thought that was it.

"I think they realised they couldn't beat me when I was in the bin. They kicked or pushed it over and dragged me out of it and started beating me again."

James, who was knocked unconscious at one point during the attack, managed to get away but the gang kept chasing him until he ran out in front of a car.

The first driver he encountered didn't stop, but a second woman let him into her car and drove him the short distance to the nearby Royal Victoria Hospital.

His mother Donna, whose husband Frank was murdered in 1998, said she thought her son had been killed as she rushed to be by his hospital bedside.

"It's like déjà vu," she said. "I can't remember getting to the hospital. I just kept thinking: 'Please, please, just let him hang on for me'."

The chairman and the CEO of Northern Ireland Screen, Rick Hill and Richard Williams have both spoken out against the attack and said their thoughts were with James, his family and the other crew involved.

"We understand this was an unprovoked attack on a group of young men who were part of the growing positive story of Northern Ireland's burgeoning creative industries," they said.

"This has been a regrettable event and not one which is typical of the industry here, where increased film and television production activity has completed without incident."

Film producer Susan Picken, said that everything had been done to ensure the safety of the cast and crew, adding: "We did have a lot of crew who were looking after them, and we were basing ourselves out of a local community centre - we had liaised in advance with the local community."

We were safe in our own minds that we had done enough to look after everybody.Susan Picken, film producer
    Pottinger Alliance Party councillor Máire Hendron said she was "shocked and appalled" by the news.

"This must have been a terrible ordeal and my thoughts are with the person who was subjected to this," she said.

"The stark contrast between the role this person is playing compared to the brutal and disgusting message that this attack sends out is deeply shocking."

Sinn Féin MLA Alex Maskey said the incident had caused "serious concerns for community relations and safety issues in that part of the city".

"Many of us have spent the last number years working hard to establish far better community relations in the area and we know that this attack is not representative of where the community in south Belfast wants to be," he added.

His party colleague and Lord Mayor of Belfast Niall Ó Donnghaile said a number of people were left "deeply traumatised" by the incident.

He said: "We are rightfully encouraging our young people to take part and pursue careers within the new and creative industries - themselves potent symbols of a changed and better Belfast - yet there is still a minority who would seek to engage in sectarian violence.

"We will continue to play our part with everyone in our community to ensure those people are faced down and that young people, regardless of where they come from, are able to move around their own city free from sectarian harassment and violence."

Ulster Unionist councillor Bob Stoker also branded the attack "absolutely despicable".

He added: "I think it is nothing short of wanton thuggery and these people have to be dealt with by the community, by the police and by the court system.

"They are in no way representative of this community. We need people to stand up and have the courage to say, 'I saw them doing it and I'm going to identify them'.

© UTV News

Disgusting bastards, and it's appauling the woman told them to get him out of her garden. I hope they burn in hell.

Lol what?
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

I didn't do it, I swaer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Scott wrote:
    The Maestro wrote:

© UTV News

Lol what?

Is that all you are able to contribute to the thread? Pointing out a spelling mistake?
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:38 am

Those people saying about Religion, its nothing to do with the actual Religion's themselves its more political if anything.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 am

Sean wrote:Those people saying about Religion, its nothing to do with the actual Religion's themselves its more political if anything.

Well they go hand in hand there. Politics influenced by religion. Nationalists/catholics and unionist/protestants
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 am

Loyalist paramilitaries were behind the vicious attack on a Catholic teenager working on a film set in South Belfast this week, the SBN can reveal.

UVF thugs embarked on the brutal assault on an 18-year-old film extra in the Village last Friday (January 6), after discovering Catholic teenagers from the Short Strand were working on the film.

Since the vicious attack, which saw the teenager badly beaten, placed in a wheelie bin and left for dead, local UVF men have visited a local community centre which hosted the film crew to warn them not to bring anyone else into the area “without their permission”.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:49 am

The Maestro wrote:
    Sean wrote:Those people saying about Religion, its nothing to do with the actual Religion's themselves its more political if anything.

Well they go hand in hand there. Politics influenced by religion. Nationalists/catholics and unionist/protestants

I know, Im from Northern Ireland Laughing

What I mean is, its not about the specifics of the Religion, which some people are using as an excuse to attack religion, if there wasnt religion aspects, their would still be political aspects to fight about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:41 am