Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+29
GK01
lvrpl4life
SBSP
Ham.
LFC_Grunners
jonnyc23
BigJ0526
Childish Logic
Jordan Henderchip
AussieBhoy
Theo Filippo
VivaRonaldoLAD
Zzonked
Cadbury
Drake
ShakerMatty
TheRangersFan
Carlos Jenkinson
Jordi
ayvee1
Sean
The Zlatan
Lux
Uncle John from Jamaica
Laurencio
MickStupp
Ben 10
Pippo
ConorCelticFC
33 posters

The quality and attraction of Celtic

Sean

The quality and attraction of Celtic - Page 3 Empty Re: The quality and attraction of Celtic

Post by Sean Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 am

ayvee1 wrote:The quality of team and status of club is the worst it's been for Celtic for a very, very long time IMO.

I agree, not even just MON's side but Id rate Strachan's team far above this, the only period we were worse was under Mowbray in relevantly recent times.
    Anonymous

The quality and attraction of Celtic - Page 3 Empty Re: The quality and attraction of Celtic

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 am

I feel scots terribly overrate the players playing for the Old Firm...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 am

Laurencio wrote:
    James wrote:Their team would not survive in the Premiership. They have a bunch of lower Championship players apparently, and we all know no one is guaranteed to go up or stay up in that league.

If they invested heavily then I see no reason why they couldn't stay up. It's not like Celtic can't afford to invest £20-25M to stay up. Their turnover is £62M after all.

Obviously. But we are talking about current teams. There are plenty of other clubs that could spend more, but don't.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am

James wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

If they invested heavily then I see no reason why they couldn't stay up. It's not like Celtic can't afford to invest £20-25M to stay up. Their turnover is £62M after all.

Obviously. But we are talking about current teams. There are plenty of other clubs that could spend more, but don't.

I'd agree with that. I don't think the current team has the quality to stay up. Might get lucky enough to have a team implode like Pompey did, be in a league with a team as weak as Derby was, and "just" make it though. Without investment they would need a hell of a lot of luck.

Last edited by Laurencio on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am

James wrote:
    ConorCelticFC wrote:

Hooper scored more than Andy Carroll when he was in the Championship in 09/10. And played less games. Surely the fact that he scored so many goals in a bad team is a sign of quality. Ledley was not for sale at all, he was considered their best player and Roma and Stoke tried to sign him. Commons was top scorer when we bought him in January.

How many League 1 teams could draw twice over two legs with the team top of Serie A? I don't get how a League 1 team would have the means to sign all these top Championship players who premiership clubs are interested in. Southampton, top of the Champinship, have a player proven not good enough for us starting every week!

First of all, have you heard of Darren Bent? This man scores shit loads of goals but have you noticed every team he has played in has done shit? Hooper is Bents shitter cousin.

Celtic use their past glory to buy these players, it isn't as if they are even buying good players. These are lower Championship talents and as has been proved in past seasons, League 1 players can cut it in the Championship.
    And all you seem to do is talk about players ability. Have you ever thought your manager is shit? And can't actually get the best out of players, hence the reason they flop. I've said plenty of times, any decent manager would take a team in the SPL (outside of Celtic and Rangers) and crack the top 2 if given a couple of seasons.

Maybe if Celtic joined the English league and gave it a few years they'd improve and be on Southampton's level. But right now, Celtic and Rangers are on par with Sheffield United.

Our manager is not shit and he does get the best out of players. You don't beat a Water Smith side 3-0 if you're a novice.

Hooiveld is just not very good.

So player ability does not matter then? To say that Southampton's level is the peak of our potential is insulting. We are already a considerably better team than them. Sheffield United? Very Happy

All of our rejects are on loan in the Championship: Murphy, Hooiveld, O'Dea, Thompson. But we are League 1 standard. Laughing
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 am

Oh, and if you'd watched Hooper play James you'd know that he has far more to his game than goals.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:54 am

You're not 'considerably better' than Southampton....
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I feel scots terribly overrate the players playing for the Old Firm...
    I think it's just OF fans that like to exaggerate their players. I have no illusions of Old Firm grandeur right now.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 am

Lennon is a shit manager, no one with half a brain will argue that. Also, I didn't say ability doesn't matter... Just that under shit managers, players obviously look a lot worse. I can see you are a typical Brit with his "get in there, take his legs, get that ball up the pitch, get it in the box" which is fine, our opinions differ on how much of an influence a manager has... But you're wrong anyway, about every little thing you've mentioned.

Please don't bring you mates over here to cry about the truth, stick to your own forum for that.

Yours truly,

James.

Last edited by James on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:59 am

James wrote:Lennon is a shit manager, no one with half a brain will argue that. Also, I didn't play ability doesn't matter... Just that under shit managers, players obviously look a lot worse. I can see you are a typical Brit with his "get in there, take his legs, get that ball up the pitch, get it in the box" which is fine, our opinions differ on how much of an influence a manager has... But you're wrong anyway, about every little thing you've mentioned.

Please don't bring you mates over here to cry about the truth, stick to your own forum for that.

Yours truly,

James.

OK, bye. eek
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 am

James, be nice Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:03 am

James is throwing a hissy fit because he can't think of anything to come back with. Well done OP on a great post, that's been acknowledged. James crying like a little girl again. rofl
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 am

ayvee1 wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I feel scots terribly overrate the players playing for the Old Firm...
    I think it's just OF fans that like to exaggerate their players. I have no illusions of Old Firm grandeur right now.
    Probably more likely.

It is funny when you realize how poor the SPL has become. Next year their coefficiency will drop down by over 10 points. Championship level my ass.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 am

I'm not crying, I just made the points I needed to make. Unlike you, I don't need to sit here for hours arguing with the majority in order to try and make myself think i'm right. I already know i'm right.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    ayvee1 wrote:I think it's just OF fans that like to exaggerate their players. I have no illusions of Old Firm grandeur right now.
    Probably more likely.

It is funny when you realize how poor the SPL has become. Next year their coefficiency will drop down by over 10 points. Championship level my ass.

Next season the coefficient is better than this season. Two Champions League places.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 am

ConorCelticFC wrote:
    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:Probably more likely.

Next season the coefficient is better than this season. Two Champions League places.

Whut. Why?
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:12 am

Laurencio wrote:
    ConorCelticFC wrote:

Whut. Why?

Rangers did well in Europe last year. They're not automatic though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:15 am

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefa_coefficient#Current_ranking

Next season the results of 07-08 will be erased from history and Scotland will go flying down in the twenty's.

Though I guess the effects won't be felt for the season afterwords, but still.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:19 am

ConorCelticFC wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

Whut. Why?

So let me get this straight. Your league, one that is on the verge of total and utter riddicule due to the fact that it's basically a cup competition with two teams. A league system that is considered possibly the worst balanced league system in the world. Is now going to have that gap between the two biggest clubs and the rest increased by giving them both champions league money each year.

Wonderful. Not that it's the SPL's fault, but that right there might just doom the league.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:21 am

Laurencio wrote:
    ConorCelticFC wrote:

So let me get this straight. Your league, one that is on the verge of total and utter riddicule due to the fact that it's basically a cup competition with two teams. A league system that is considered possibly the worst balanced league system in the world. Is now going to have that gap between the two biggest clubs and the rest increased by giving them both champions league money each year.

Wonderful. Not that it's the SPL's fault, but that right there might just doom the league.

I suppose, but as Suarez said the year after the coefficient will drop again.

Last edited by ConorCelticFC on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 am

It's been doomed for a while. Some very worrying times ahead for the SPL.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 am

Laurencio wrote:
    ConorCelticFC wrote:

That's not happening though. Scotland are already dropping from 18th to 20th at the end of the season because all their teams are out and Poland (Smile) will surpass them. Then afterwords their results from 07/08 will be deleted and they will drop far down into the late twenties.

Also, didn't they always have two champions league spots? scratch I thought that next season will be their first in a bit where they have only 1.
    ConorCelticFC
    ConorCelticFC

Post by ConorCelticFC Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 am

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

That's not happening though. Scotland are already dropping from 18th to 20th at the end of the season because all their teams are out and Poland (Smile) will surpass them. Then afterwords their results from 07/08 will be deleted and they will drop far down into the late twenties.

Also, didn't they always have two champions league spots? scratch I thought that next season will be their first in a bit where they have only 1.

No, not at all. We didn't this season for instance.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:24 am

Lu❣️s Suarez wrote:
    Laurencio wrote:

I see.. well they need to sort something out, quickly. Any attempts to change the league setup have unfortunately been vetoed by Rangers and Celtic. Don't even realise that if they want to progress as a club and become what they once were they need to let the changes happen. Stupid people in charge of that league, that's for sure.
    MickStupp
    MickStupp

Post by MickStupp Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:
    ayvee1 wrote:I think it's just OF fans that like to exaggerate their players. I have no illusions of Old Firm grandeur right now.
    Probably more likely.

It is getting poorer, even in ten years the standard has declined rapidly but the Old firm are probably Championship level, the rest would be a lot lower. I agree with what Sean said:

Sean wrote:I think for a good lot of years we would be a yo-yo club between Championship and PL. The money from reaching the Premier League would do wonders for us though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 am

James wrote:Lennon is a shit manager, no one with half a brain will argue that. Also, I didn't say ability doesn't matter... Just that under shit managers, players obviously look a lot worse. I can see you are a typical Brit with his "get in there, take his legs, get that ball up the pitch, get it in the box" which is fine, our opinions differ on how much of an influence a manager has... But you're wrong anyway, about every little thing you've mentioned.

Yours truly,

James.
    What is this your forum scratch
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 am

Mick I'm surprised you'd say the Old Firm are Championship level, the opening post was a good comparison between Celtic and Southampton. Celtic and Rangers both have a better team than the Championship leaders. And Rangers performance in Europe last season under Walter Smith was impressive.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 am

http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117612

Found it.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Post by Laurencio Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:31 am

ahlycotc wrote:http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117612

Found it.

Laughing

How long did you spend looking for that Razz
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:31 am

Ahly you're about two days late

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 21, 2024 2:07 am