Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

From Turmoil to Triumph

GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

From Turmoil to Triumph Empty From Turmoil to Triumph

Post by GK01 Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:14 am

From Turmoil to Triumph Articl10

The last time I watched a Grand Final for my local side Queensland Lions, it was a Under 16s BJL game. They the club though were in turmoil, not knowing what to do with themselves. They’re managers and coaches had been fired a week before the final, only to be reinstated 3 days later (The backroom staff had led this club to the Premiership and then the Final what else could you ask in them?). They ended up losing that match.

Two years have passed and I returned to watch them once again play yet another Grand Final. The club though this time had a new found professional manner to them, they had re-built since those turmoil days and were looking like a real club again. The Grand Final was for the reserves against Mitchelton FC.

The Queensland Lions like two years ago for the Under 16s had replicated the success of winning the Premiership, and they had only lost one game all regular season. They also had two weeks before hand at beat Mitchelton FC in the semi-finals, so were favourites for this match.

Mitchelton had control of the game from the early outset, a lot of their fans had travelled to Lions ground, so they had the backing of them, and dare I say it they were much louder then the normally non-existent Lions faithful. Lions ended up losing their nerves and the game, and it became an even game, although the atmosphere around the ground wouldn’t have told you that, and this raises a question for me. Why are local football teams ignored so much?

Sure yes they don’t have the advertising or spending power the bigger sides have, but they can in my own opinion produce the same quality of football. I’ve gone to games this season for both Queensland Lions and Brisbane Force, and seen at times barely 10 people show up to watch the game, now for a free game of football right on your doorstep how is this fair?

Sure some of you might play for these clubs and you help them in your own way by actually playing, but what about being a supporter like you are for more professional sides? Now I can’t judge the quality that is your local side, but this game was right up there, early on in the second half Lions keeper was forced into a quick triple save by Mitcheltons strikers, the pressure didn’t stop there, as Lions defence couldn’t wake up, it was chance after chance after chance, this was a delight for Mitchelton and neutral fans alike, but nerve wrecking for Lions fans.

But again like the first half Lions got on their feet, playing with the ball around their midfield, as they kept Mitchelton to the counter attack. Lions seemed to have more of possession but less of goal scoring chances, although their corner count was quickly rising.

Then as it looked like things would go into extra-time, with ten minutes to go Lions got another corner. It was swung in, number 11 for Lions had a swing, missed, the ball landed in the middle of the box, Mitchelton scrambled to get the ball out, but then Tommy Simic put the ball into the back of the net, one - nil to Lions.

Simic ran off to the corner to celebrate, and the look of relieve and excitement on his face as they gained a foothold in the match, knowing that they now had one hand on the shield, and it was the same for the rest of his team-mates (who piled on top of him in the corner), and for the fans alike, the atmosphere was buzzing, and not just from the travelling Mitchelton faithful now.

Lions would hold onto the lead to win the double, they had successfully turned a club that was two years ago in turmoil, into a triumphant side, but the game wasn’t over at that point as a brawl between Number 9 for Mitchelton and the keeper for Lions busted out after the full-time whistle, it was quickly defused though.

Anyway enough of a match report, I have to ask you why when you can be getting this sort of entertainment, not just from the football match, but to watch a club completely turn themselves around, with very little money, who you wouldn’t try support your local side as well? So it is fine to support the big teams, the lower league sides, but remember to spare a thought for your local side as well, who are right on your doorstep, go watch one of their games once and awhile, and who knows what it will turn into, but it will be surely worth it.

By Sam Gahan

Pilkz said he though I should post it so I have. Anyway this isn't another support your local team articles, I mean I support Spurs and I'm from Australia, but I still reckon we should just go watch our closest Sunday League team and give them a bit of support, hell last night I saw some fantastic football, as I have when I've gone along to watch and seen barely 10 people there.

http://thehoofball.tumblr.com/post/10559791485/from-turmoil-to-triumph

Last edited by GK01 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

From Turmoil to Triumph Empty Re: From Turmoil to Triumph

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:20 am

If i'm completely honest, I stopped reading when I realised it was about Australian football From Turmoil to Triumph 369140
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 am

James wrote:If i'm completely honest, I stopped reading when I realised it was about Australian football From Turmoil to Triumph 369140

Sunday League Australian football shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 am

I watch enough shit already.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 am

From Turmoil to Triumph 9500573
    Anonymous