Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Sean
blackskar
Kuled
Pippo
crump
Demba Ba
luke.
Theo Filippo
12 posters

Is Pre-season too long?

Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Is Pre-season too long? Empty Is Pre-season too long?

Post by Theo Filippo Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am

cheesy wrote:You can easily understand that at the end of each season, footballers will naturally require a break from competitive football. The majority of them are top athletes, who have to constantly push their bodies to the limit.

While there is well over a month and often two months between the end of one league season and the start of a new one, it is easy to forget that footballers do not get a very long break. They actually have a rather small break, where they can go on holiday and simply relax; however after a few weeks off they have to return to the dreaded task of pre-season training.

Some may cite all of the dreaded fitness tasks that players must often participate in during the first few days of training as a necessary occurrence, but are they really? Unlike back in older days, players do not return to training in an unfit condition. The health issues for an athlete are now properly understood; therefore the majority return to their clubs in the excellent condition they left in.

It makes us ask, are these exercises really necessary. For most players who are still in a good physical condition, these exercises are nothing more than an annoyance: as they are of no benefit to them.

The only players who desperately require these sorts of exercises are the ones who are not in a good physical condition and are overweight. At the top of our game, there are not a lot of those people.

After this are the pre-season friendlies.

You can understand why any club would want to take part in a few friendlies before they kick off for the new season. They will want to test new setups and try out new signings, but do they need a long time to do this? In reality, all they need is two or three matches.

The big teams do not follow in this mould. They will often travel to all corners of the world: playing teams from different continents.

Does this really benefit the team? The truth is that it does not. A small tour around the teams home country, or to closer abroad destinations would be more beneficial, however there is a bigger reason behind it.

Teams know that by travelling to places like the USA, or Far East Asia, they can make a lot of money. Fans will turn up to games in their drones: many buying kits for the big club who are playing in their country. The club sit back and reap in the money they have earned.

Unlike several other issues in football, I would not say that this is a big issue. Football will continue to work perfectly well if it continues, however it does not follow the idea of pre-season football, where games are supposed to help players either develop, or resume first team football.

Travelling halfway across the world does not help players in any way: when you consider that they will also be getting dragged around the selected country or continent.

If it wasn’t for all of these extra matches, the league season could start a few weeks earlier. This would solve problems that can occur later in the season, when teams who are fighting on all fronts have a very busy schedule. The league season would be played over a longer time: meaning fixture congestion would be less of a worry.

Will this be changed in the near future? The answer is that it will probably not. With financial fair play coming in, big teams who want to spend a lot of money will need these pre-season tours if they want to generate a satisfactory amount of revenue.

As I have mentioned, the issue is not a big one, like match fixing or a lack of technology; however it would stop clubs constant complaints towards the end of the season about fixtures: something we all get tired of.

Last edited by Filippo Inzaghi on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    luke.
    luke.

Is Pre-season too long? Empty Re: Is Pre-season too long?

Post by luke. Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am

The longer it is the better.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 am

Now that's what you call a shit article.
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Formerly known as : cheesy

Post by Demba Ba Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 am

Splashy wrote:Now that's what you call a shit article.

I can remember you praising some of my articles; therefore your comments does not make relative sense.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 am

cheesy wrote:

I can remember you praising some of my articles; therefore your comments does not make relative sense.
    Empty praise.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:30 am

You just completely contradicted everything you said in that article in the first few words:

The majority of them are top athletes
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 am

cheesy wrote:

I cant remember praising your articles but I if I did it was only to bump my post count.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:32 am

Filippo Inzaghi wrote:
    cheesy wrote:

Empty praise.
    Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 am

cheesy wrote:
    You can easily understand that at the end of each season, footballers will naturally require a break from competitive football. The majority of them are top athletes, who have to constantly push their bodies to the limit.

While there is well over a month and often two months between the end of one league season and the start of a new one, it is easy to forget that footballers do not get a very long break. They actually have a rather small break, where they can go on holiday and simply relax; however after a few weeks off they have to return to the dreaded task of pre-season training.

Some may cite all of the dreaded fitness tasks that players must often participate in during the first few days of training as a necessary occurrence, but are they really? Unlike back in older days, players do not return to training in an unfit condition. The health issues for an athlete are now properly understood; therefore the majority return to their clubs in the excellent condition they left in.

It makes us ask, are these exercises really necessary. For most players who are still in a good physical condition, these exercises are nothing more than an annoyance: as they are of no benefit to them.

The only players who desperately require these sorts of exercises are the ones who are not in a good physical condition and are overweight. At the top of our game, there are not a lot of those people.

After this are the pre-season friendlies.

You can understand why any club would want to take part in a few friendlies before they kick off for the new season. They will want to test new setups and try out new signings, but do they need a long time to do this? In reality, all they need is two or three matches.

The big teams do not follow in this mould. They will often travel to all corners of the world: playing teams from different continents.

Does this really benefit the team? The truth is that it does not. A small tour around the teams home country, or to closer abroad destinations would be more beneficial, however there is a bigger reason behind it.

Teams know that by travelling to places like the USA, or Far East Asia, they can make a lot of money. Fans will turn up to games in their drones: many buying kits for the big club who are playing in their country. The club sit back and reap in the money they have earned.

Unlike several other issues in football, I would not say that this is a big issue. Football will continue to work perfectly well if it continues, however it does not follow the idea of pre-season football, where games are supposed to help players either develop, or resume first team football.

Travelling halfway across the world does not help players in any way: when you consider that they will also be getting dragged around the selected country or continent.

If it wasn’t for all of these extra matches, the league season could start a few weeks earlier. This would solve problems that can occur later in the season, when teams who are fighting on all fronts have a very busy schedule. The league season would be played over a longer time: meaning fixture congestion would be less of a worry.

Will this be changed in the near future? The answer is that it will probably not. With financial fair play coming in, big teams who want to spend a lot of money will need these pre-season tours if they want to generate a satisfactory amount of revenue.

As I have mentioned, the issue is not a big one, like match fixing or a lack of technology; however it would stop clubs constant complaints towards the end of the season about fixtures: something we all get tired of.
    Is Pre-season too long? Tumblr_lb43b6nlD61qdg6g4o1_500
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Post by Demba Ba Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 am

If I was a respected member of this forum, you would be giving me an unending level of praise. That is not in any doubt.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

cheesy wrote:If I was a respected member of this forum, you would be giving me an unending level of praise. That is not in any doubt.

facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

cheesy wrote:If I was a respected member of this forum, you would be giving me an unending level of praise. That is not in any doubt.
    facepalm
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

I agree. The users are against you simply due to the fact that you are from the Electronic Arts forum and you previously trolled here.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 am

I expected Pip to say "Fantastic article" -_-
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 am

Pip wrote:

I agree. The users are against you simply due to the fact that you are from the Electronic Arts forum and you previously trolled here.

Typical Pip

Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Post by Demba Ba Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 am

Pip wrote:

Hopefully everyone will be like you and learn to forgive me over time. The acceptance you possess is what makes you the standout and best member of this forum.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:45 am

cheesy wrote:
    Pip wrote:

Hopefully everyone will be like you and learn to forgive me over time. The acceptance you possess is what makes you the standout and best member of this forum.

Is Pre-season too long? 859644
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:47 am

You'd be a respected member if you didn't talk shit and be an absolute cunt.
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:47 am

Also, again, this is why Pip is so fucking annoying.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:48 am

cheesy wrote:
    Pip wrote:

Do you think it's possible to ass lick pip any more than you're now??
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 am

Is Pip intent on taking the unpopular side? silent
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Post by Demba Ba Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 am

luke. wrote:

You'd be a respected member if you didn't talk shit and be an absolute cunt.

Since returning from my ban, I have done absolutely nothing wrong.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:Is Pip intent on taking the unpopular side? silent

He does it all the time though
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am

Cheesy since you've returned you've had violent verbal diarreoah.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 am

Cam wrote:

I thought it was only since he valiantly stood up to the tyranny of Mal.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:55 am

Eternal Witcher wrote:
    Cam wrote:

Nah, he's been doing it for weeks, it's just he's does it more since that. Laughing
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:56 am

Yeah he always does this Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 am

Cam wrote:
    Eternal Witcher wrote:
    Cam wrote:

Nah, he's been doing it for weeks, it's just he's does it more since that. Laughing

I miss the old Pip. Never really took notice of him, but I'm sure there was something then that can be missed now.
    blackskar
    blackskar

Post by blackskar Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 am

Gonna ask again in this thread. Why are you typing that way?
    Demba Ba
    Demba Ba

Post by Demba Ba Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:49 am

blackskar wrote:Gonna ask again in this thread. Why are you typing that way?

What way? This is my normal method of typing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 am