Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
menalawyerguy
fluffy_kittens
Weather130
ResurrectionRooney
Theo Filippo
AriseForLife
SBSP
Steadman
12 posters

Why do players appeal...

Anonymous

Why do players appeal... Empty Why do players appeal...

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 pm

...Sending offs, penalty kicks and the like?

I've never seen a ref change his decision and yet I see players appealing all the time.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

Why do players appeal... Empty Re: Why do players appeal...

Post by Steadman Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Human nature.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 pm

/thread
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Steadman wrote:Human nature.
    /Thread.
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Same reason players appeal in any sport you watch on TV or live. You want to justify your actions.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Fuck off Abraar.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 pm

j ninja
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

To hopefully get the next decision in your favor
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Bogdan wrote:...Sending offs, penalty kicks and the like?

I've never seen a ref change his decision and yet I see players appealing all the time.

How long have you been a Liverpool fan?

In 2001 Liverpool were playing AS Roma in the UEFA Cup. The referee awarded a penalty for handball, Stephane Henchoz turned around and waved his arms saying 'No penalty', the referee said OK then and awarded a goal kick.

In 2007 Liverpool were playing Aston Villa, Gerrard was tackled, he turned to the referee, said he had been fouled, and the referee gave Liverpool a free kick from which Gerrard scored a beautiful goal.

Also in 2007, Liverpool played Everton, a Liverpool player was going through on goal, and was fouled. The referee was preparing to give Tony Hibbert a yellow card, then Gerrard came over and told him to give a red one instead, he promptly did.

There's also the psychological aspect of it. A few weeks ago Liverpool played Arsenal in the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal committed a foul in the 98th minute right on the edge of the box, Liverpool players went nuts asking for a penalty, referee said it was a free kick. Suarez used the free kick to try and win a penalty by blasting it at the wall at arm height, Liverpool players again go nuts and ask for a penalty, more pressure on the referee. Then Lucas obstructs Eboue and goes down, Liverpool players yet again go nuts demanding a penalty, referee thinks 'Fucking hell I can't deny them three penalties in three minutes' and awards it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Not as long as you clearly.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 pm

You're welcome.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:

In 2001 Liverpool were playing AS Roma in the UEFA Cup. The referee awarded a penalty for handball, Stephane Henchoz turned around and waved his arms saying 'No penalty', the referee said OK then and awarded a goal kick.

In 2007 Liverpool were playing Aston Villa, Gerrard was tackled, he turned to the referee, said he had been fouled, and the referee gave Liverpool a free kick from which Gerrard scored a beautiful goal.

Also in 2007, Liverpool played Everton, a Liverpool player was going through on goal, and was fouled. The referee was preparing to give Tony Hibbert a yellow card, then Gerrard came over and told him to give a red one instead, he promptly did.

There's also the psychological aspect of it. A few weeks ago Liverpool played Arsenal in the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal committed a foul in the 98th minute right on the edge of the box, Liverpool players went nuts asking for a penalty, referee said it was a free kick. Suarez used the free kick to try and win a penalty by blasting it at the wall at arm height, Liverpool players again go nuts and ask for a penalty, more pressure on the referee. Then Lucas obstructs Eboue and goes down, Liverpool players yet again go nuts demanding a penalty, referee thinks 'Fucking hell I can't deny them three penalties in three minutes' and awards it.
    No surprise it's Gerrard. Mischief
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Maybe because they see the challenge system in other sports (ie tennis) and want to try it themselves. At least that is the way I see it.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

The handball by Torsten Frings in the 2002 world cup against the USA was the absolute worst refereeing I have ever seen and when I watch US soccer today I still think about what could've been if we'd been given that penalty.

almost 10 years ago and we still don't have goal line technology
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 pm

What's your point? Did he exclude Liverpool players from the scope of his question?

More importantly, why is every fucking thing about Liverpool with you?
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

What's your point? Did he exclude Liverpool players from the scope of his question?

He's trying to wind up the Liverpool fans Rolling Eyes
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:40 pm

It's true! Refs favour Liverpool! Run
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 pm

I've always thought it's because it puts more pressure on the refs to favour you with the next decision.
    crump
    crump

Post by crump Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 pm

REPLACE THE REFS WITH ROBOTS

lulz.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

What? No, they're just the best examples I could think of. I can't remember any other instances of a referee changing his decision because the players ask him to.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

What? No, they're just the best examples I could think of. I can't remember any other instances of a referee changing his decision because the players ask him to.

My bad. I actually didn't read the quote you were following on properly. I see your point.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

Thats very typical of you. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:35 pm