Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
menalawyerguy
Barton
Ben
Cadbury
dena
Jamie
crump
11 posters

People that can't take banter

Anonymous

People that can't take banter - Page 2 Empty Re: People that can't take banter

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 pm

Alright, well he's correct in saying it makes no sense then.. Neutral
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 pm

The male person who is currently closest to you right now would be correct to take his cock out and slap you upside the head with it. People that can't take banter - Page 2 567798
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Sean wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    dena wrote:If I never see/hear the word banter again it'll be too soon.

That sentence doesn't make any sense.

Makes sense to me. People that can't take banter - Page 2 512670

How? If someone never sees/hears a word again, how could it be 'too soon'? The correct sentence is 'If I ever see/hear...it'll be too soon', 'If I never...' is just meaningless.

It's intentionally incurred though, it means soneones heard it so much that even if they never hear it again it will still be too soon.
    It's not, it's just one of those fucked up things like 'irregardless' which people who use out of habit or misinterpretation. How does a meaningless sentence emphasise your point?
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    dena wrote:If I never see/hear the word banter again it'll be too soon.

How? If someone never sees/hears a word again, how could it be 'too soon'? The correct sentence is 'If I ever see/hear...it'll be too soon', 'If I never...' is just meaningless.

Yea, that's the point. Even never is too soon. He's not writing in prose (though I hesitate to call dena a poet Suspect )
    How can never be too soon?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Sean wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

It's intentionally incurred though, it means soneones heard it so much that even if they never hear it again it will still be too soon.
    It's not, it's just one of those fucked up things like 'irregardless' which people who use out of habit or misinterpretation. How does a meaningless sentence emphasise your point?

No, irregardless is a word that doesn't exist. Dena's phrase is intentionally employing a logical impossibility to demonstrate the extremity of his point. Thus, to a robot incapable of sensing cliche, exaggeration or figuratism, it is indeed a meaningless sentence. However, if you employ a little human interpretation, the point is clear: he never wants to hear or see the word "banter" again.

menalawyerguy wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

Yea, that's the point. Even never is too soon. He's not writing in prose (though I hesitate to call dena a poet Suspect )
    How can never be too soon?

Jesus H. Christ! People that can't take banter - Page 2 58503
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:The male person who is currently closest to you right now would be correct to take his cock out and slap you upside the head with it. People that can't take banter - Page 2 567798
    People that can't take banter - Page 2 Mt6xds

Know your role.

I know what it means, just talking shit to put a point across, but him saying the sentence makes no sense is still right.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 pm

btw-even from a literal sense, you could argue that it makes sense, in as much as "never" is a point in time, just like "infinity" is a number. But we don't wanna be hear all day.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Never is a point in time? Christ! It means not ever, ie. it will not happen. It's an incorrect phrase, simple as that.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Never is a point in time? Christ! It means not ever, ie. it will not happen. It's an incorrect phrase, simple as that.
    Misstated: it's a description of point in time that does not exist in reality. Unicorns don't exist in reality either but that doesn't stop little girls from talking about them.

Anyway, the phrase demonstrates his point perfectly though. So you keep on reading like a robot and the rest of us will continue to exercise our creative loins free from the bounds of literalism. Smile
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:27 am

Rooney is wrong, the sentence makes perfect sense.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:29 am

Didn't see that this became a topic of discussion, but I'm pretty sure mela made my point for me with his quote so I'll leave it at that. People that can't take banter - Page 2 232912
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 am

Tell me dena, were you poetically trying to emphasise your distaste for the word banter using a logical impossibility?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 am

Indeed I was.

People that can't take banter - Page 2 279869

No but really, the phrase, while silly, is used to emphasize things of that nature (at least from my experiences) so I went with it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:15 pm