Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
El Jefe
Mouse
fluffy_kittens
Sean
ResurrectionRooney
9 posters

1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film Empty 1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am

1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film Article-0-0111782800000578-817_306x537

A book based on the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster - when 39 football fans died - is set to be turned into a film.

Hundreds of people were injured when a stadium wall collapsed as rival Liverpool and Juventus fans clashed before the European Cup final.

The aftermath of that evening in Brussels, Belgium, saw English clubs banned from European competition for five years. Liverpool were handed an extra year's suspension.

The dead included 32 Italians, four Belgians, two French fans and a man from Northern Ireland. More than 600 other fans were also injured.

Fourteen Liverpool fans were each sentenced to three years in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

The film, which does not yet have a working title, will be based on French author Laurent Mauvignier's 2006 novel 'In The Crowd'.

It follows fans from England, Belgium, France and Italy on the eve and day of the match on May 29,1985.

Jean Baptiste Babin, who as founding partner of Backup Films is funding the project, said the story was 'very strong in terms of European identity'.

Speaking from Cannes Film Festival, where plans for the film were announced, he told the Liverpool Daily Post: 'It is a very ambitious story.

'It is an historical event which is still vivid in most European countries. It will be handled sensitively.

'We wanted to announce the film at Cannes, but we are still working on the development of the film.'

French film-maker Jean Stephane Sauvaire, whose 2008 film Johnny Mad Dog was about child soldiers in Africa, will be the director.

The book tells the story of four groups of different nationalities who cross paths.

Different points of view are expressed through a series of internal monologues.

And as the excitement of the build-up to the match ends in tragedy, readers see how their lives and relationships are changed forever.

Mr Babin added: 'We want people to focus on the characters and the story. The characters are as important as the background and the event.'

Despite the disaster the referee felt abandoning the game would have incited further trouble and so Juventus went on to win 1–0 with a penalty scored by Michel Platini.

On May 29 last year, Liverpool and Juventus fans marked the 25th anniversary of the Heysel tragedy with a friendly match at the north-west club's Kirkby academy.
    _________

There's a very even balance they'll have to maintain between being unbiased and being tasteless or offensive, while aiming at a UK market. I think this is a film that we as a society could do without.
    Sean

1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film Empty Re: 1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film

Post by Sean Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 am

No matter which direction they talk this can bite them, it's not a black and White event like say the Munich Air Disaster, it's a very grey area
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film Empty Re: 1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film

Post by fluffy_kittens Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 pm

don't see the point in making a film about this tbh
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 1:55 am

This is going to interesting ...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 am

This is a disaster waiting to happen..
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 20, 2011 2:03 am

Laughing
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 am

Rooney. i don't know if your trolling anymore. You seem to be pretty fair on your comments lately shifty
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Fri May 20, 2011 2:12 am

This will start loads of arguments in my opinion...
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 am

should be a good film Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 am

I don't think he's ever trolled tbh. Just has controversial views that people don't agree with so they say he's a troll
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 2:13 am

The book it's based on is apparently quite a fair and unbiased account of what happened. Still, that doesn't mean the film will be.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 20, 2011 2:20 am

Mc Babel wrote:Rooney. i don't know if your trolling anymore. You seem to be pretty fair on your comments lately shifty

My comments have always been fair, the only difference is that you now agree with them. I am, and I always have been an intelligent, fair, unbiased and outspoken poster who speaks his mind, if that has created controversy and arguments then it's not my problem.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 2:34 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Mc Babel wrote:Rooney. i don't know if your trolling anymore. You seem to be pretty fair on your comments lately shifty

My comments have always been fair, the only difference is that you now agree with them. I am, and I always have been an intelligent, fair, unbiased and outspoken poster who speaks his mind, if that has created controversy and arguments then it's not my problem.

Get your head out of your arse.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 6:50 am

Why should not there be a film about Heysel? There's a film about the Hillsbourgh diaster. Theres films about awful things like this, take 9/11, theres lots of films and Doc's about that.
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Fri May 20, 2011 6:54 am

Mc Babel wrote:Rooney. i don't know if your trolling anymore. You seem to be pretty fair on your comments lately 1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film 279869

Wanabee LiamB
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

You also pee champagne and your earwax is the cure for cancer. But you are too humble to mention those. not worthy
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Of course, I am the most humble man in Europe.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Of course, I am the most humble man in Europe.

Which is like saying "I'm the tallest hobbit."
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Lowlife cunt.
    Dean
    Dean

Post by Dean Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 am

Liverpool fc 4 ever wrote:
    Lowlife cunt.

You just don't help yourself do you? facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:39 am

Love the irony. 1985 Heysel Disaster to be made into film 207657
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 am

RR Awesome Face
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 am

Liam?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:30 pm