Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
blackskar
Zzonked
ResurrectionRooney
ayvee1
8 posters

Gagging orders

Anonymous

Gagging orders Empty Gagging orders

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:51 pm

This is here because it effects footballers alot.

Do you think it is fair they are allowed to stop papers publishing their affairs and other going ons that may tarnish their reputation?

As we know, sometimes the footballers lose but I imagine alot of time they win and no one finds out.

Don't be a dick and just write "yes" or "no".
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Gagging orders Empty Re: Gagging orders

Post by ayvee1 Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

"yes" or "no"
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Pretty much proves why this forum is shit and no one outside the regulars bother staying.
    ayvee1
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Laughing just joking with you.

There shouldn't be a need for gagging orders, the press are far too nosey for their own good. I personally don't really care if a footballer shags someone.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:15 pm

ayvee1 wrote:Laughing just joking with you.

There shouldn't be a need for gagging orders, the press are far too nosey for their own good. I personally don't really care if a footballer shags someone.

Exactly, papers like the NOTW publish big headlines like:

SUCH AND SUCH SHAGGED SUCH AND SUCH

And it's like who the fuck cares. It's not as if it's not human to have sex. Invading of privacy should not be allowed imo.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:24 pm

I don't have a problem with it, if a footballer cheats on his wife then that's between him and his wife.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't particularly think we need to know about their private lives, but I think papers have a right to publish whatever they like. Freedom of speech and all that.
    blackskar
    blackskar

Post by blackskar Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Don't write just yes or no Neutral

I'll give you 10 minutes to edit your posts with a decent reply before I delete them.

And people winder why there is fuck all discussion on this forum.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 pm

blackskar wrote:Don't write just yes or no Neutral

I'll give you 10 minutes to edit your posts with a decent reply before I delete them.

And people winder why there is fuck all discussion on this forum.

Please stay on topic. Mischief
    blackskar
    blackskar

Post by blackskar Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 pm

I'ma mod I can do what I want Cool

shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Zzonked wrote:I don't particularly think we need to know about their private lives, but I think papers have a right to publish whatever they like. Freedom of speech and all that.

I like freedom of speech simply because it gives us ammunition to give these players stick at games. Laughing
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't have a problem with the gag order per say, as I think it's a necessity at times. But the judges that abuse it to accept footballer's "privacy claim" do bother me. The law was designed to maintain unbias in criminal case and protect indviduals from harm or even protect national security (not publishing an article which names 15 SAS soldiers for instance). It's being abused by mutli million lawyers and accepted by judges who should just throw these cases out.

Yet the law protects privacy life and it's what they use to stop these articles from being printed. Now to be fair in most cases these gag orders are simply about sex and extramaritial affairs. In bigger cases, such as doping scandals, corruption and all those other juicy career ending scandals, court ordered gag orders are generally NEVER implemented.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at the moment it's a non issue, as long as the real scandals do not get covered up it's all fine.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

It's more commonly known as injuctions. As a trainee journo and studying law as part of the course, the main reason that is used to defend publishing these articles is 'public interest'. 'Public interest' allows journos to publish articles that expose crime and stop the public being mislead and such. Now I may be training to be a journo but I don't believe that 'public interest' is a strong enough defense. What it is though, is defamation to these players. It damages their reputations professionally and in the minds of right morale people. The players can get injuctions to stop the publishing of articles. If the accusation is true then they can get an injuction on the grounds that it is their private lives and not in the public interest. If it is a crime that they have committed or done something illegal then that should be published IMO because the public who look up to these footballers deserve to know that they have done something illegal. The only time I think an injuction should be brought in is if it is to do with affairs and cheating (unless it is with an underage person, which in that case would be a sex offence thus the victim would not be named nor would the player directly). It's not as simple as a yes or no, it depends on each situation itself.

..And I thought I didn't understand what I learned! Probably got something wrong in all that though.. Laughing
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 pm

If a footballer is shagging another footy players ex or wife or whatever I don't really care but I definately want to know about it Laughing
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

If you want to know about it then you do care in a sense. Razz
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 pm

there is obviously the argument that footy players should know better considering, but the power of their cocks is too much, what r u gonna do

Last edited by El_indian on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 pm

easley91 wrote:It's more commonly known as injuctions. As a trainee journo and studying law as part of the course, the main reason that is used to defend publishing these articles is 'public interest'. 'Public interest' allows journos to publish articles that expose crime and stop the public being mislead and such. Now I may be training to be a journo but I don't believe that 'public interest' is a strong enough defense. What it is though, is defamation to these players. It damages their reputations professionally and in the minds of right morale people. The players can get injuctions to stop the publishing of articles. If the accusation is true then they can get an injuction on the grounds that it is their private lives and not in the public interest. If it is a crime that they have committed or done something illegal then that should be published IMO because the public who look up to these footballers deserve to know that they have done something illegal. The only time I think an injuction should be brought in is if it is to do with affairs and cheating (unless it is with an underage person, which in that case would be a sex offence thus the victim would not be named nor would the player directly). It's not as simple as a yes or no, it depends on each situation itself.

..And I thought I didn't understand what I learned! Probably got something wrong in all that though.. Laughing

I don't believe super injuctions are granted by courts for criminal cases unless asked so specifically by the police to maintain the integrity of an investigation or to protect jury members and prevent jury bias. In that sense the system works quite well as it is now. Generally though you can get gagged from printing information about criminal cases during an investigation. (although that doesn't really relate to footballers).

El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 pm

easley91 wrote:If you want to know about it then you do care in a sense. Razz

Laughing yeah I mean it doesn't bother me as it doesn't affect me personally but give me some gossip to laugh about Very Happy
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Laurencio wrote:
    easley91 wrote:It's more commonly known as injuctions. As a trainee journo and studying law as part of the course, the main reason that is used to defend publishing these articles is 'public interest'. 'Public interest' allows journos to publish articles that expose crime and stop the public being mislead and such. Now I may be training to be a journo but I don't believe that 'public interest' is a strong enough defense. What it is though, is defamation to these players. It damages their reputations professionally and in the minds of right morale people. The players can get injuctions to stop the publishing of articles. If the accusation is true then they can get an injuction on the grounds that it is their private lives and not in the public interest. If it is a crime that they have committed or done something illegal then that should be published IMO because the public who look up to these footballers deserve to know that they have done something illegal. The only time I think an injuction should be brought in is if it is to do with affairs and cheating (unless it is with an underage person, which in that case would be a sex offence thus the victim would not be named nor would the player directly). It's not as simple as a yes or no, it depends on each situation itself.

I don't believe super injuctions are granted by courts for criminal cases unless asked so specifically by the police to maintain the integrity of an investigation or to protect jury members and prevent jury bias. In that sense the system works quite well as it is now. Generally though you can get gagged from printing information about criminal cases during an investigation. (although that doesn't really relate to footballers).

That would be known as contempt of court. Gagging orders 284837 Though that is one area I still don't understand and need to get to grips with. Gagging orders 214775 Yes that is true, but as this is footballers shagging I didn't think it needed to be mentioned. Laughing Newspapers can't publish anything that will help the jury's decision during an investigation (or an active case). And they start with arrests and warrants, I know there's something else that starts it I just can't think of it.. Gagging orders 214775
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 pm

There is also an argument that kids look up to these and they are role models. On one hand, you'd like to know what the kids are looking up to ... on the other it could be a bad influence if it is exposed.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't think there should be a need for a gagging order.....but the press and public make WAY too much out of it.

I don't care what the hell a footballer is doing if it has nothing to do with football. I hate it when the media start calling for players to have footballing punishments when it's nothing to do with football.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:39 pm

this is a question of human nature...

people are curious - gossip mags make money off this.

nothing good usually comes of it - national debates, newspaper and TV headlines and a whole lotta embarrassment for th player.

to answer the OP's question, of course it's fair they should be allowed to try and stop the info being leaked..but whether it is or not is another debate..
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 pm

We live in a culture now where people feel it is their right to know what is going on in the lives of celebrities. The media invented this feeling and now are paying their bills etc. off finding a footballer having an affair or something to that effect.

Gagging orders are a must for this country because although a footballer is a celebrity, he deserves to have a private life without journos exposing their private life to millions of people.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 am

The press are shit enough as it is without releasing stories about who shagged who. It's the players lives, it's down to them to live it. Nobody has a right to talk about it tbh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:29 am