Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Jord
Barton
Walcott
blackskar
GCU
Kuled
Scuba Steve
11 posters

Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder.

Anonymous

Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder. Empty Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 pm

..Gareth Barry is a teachers pet and Jack Wilshere isn't bad. rofl

oey Barton has issued a damning verdict on the state of the England team, claiming they have no chance of winning any of the next 50 World Cups and pointing to Gareth Barry's presence in the side as evidence of a lack of midfield talent.

Barton labelled Barry "a teacher's pet" and likened the player, who captained England in their last game against Ghana, to a tortoise. The Newcastle United man also described himself as the country's leading midfielder and insisted the time had come for him to be forgiven for past misdemeanours and recalled to the national squad.

Barton has won just one England cap, against Spain in 2007. His often controversial career was put on hold as he served a prison sentence the following year, yet the 28-year-old appears to have rediscovered his best form and is convinced he has a role to play in Fabio Capello's team.

"Honestly, I think I'm the best [English midfielder]," Barton told the French magazine So Foot. "Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players... well, Jack Wilshere isn't bad, but Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot."

Barton saved his most withering remarks for Barry. "Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup?" he asked. "If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.

"Barry's got a very good agent," Barton offered as an explanation for the player's success. "He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him."

Barton, who revealed he spends his spare time watching football on television at home now that he has given up drinking, was particularly struck by the technical and tactical deficiencies in England's 2-1 friendly defeat by France in November.

"Look at Jordan Henderson [against France]," he said. "He was up against [Yann] M'Vila, [Mathieu] Valbuena, Nasri and [Yoann] Gourcuff. And he had Gareth Barry alongside him. What could they do against those players?

"France killed us at Wembley," added Barton, before going on to paint a dark picture of England's future. "We English will play the next 50 World Cups and we'll never win one," he declared. "The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.

"We're too focused on tradition in England, like always having to play 4-4-2. Sometimes you need to experiment, drop a bit deeper so you have more space to move into. France, Italy and Germany have done it. We've been doing the same thing for 20 years."

Despite his pessimistic outlook, Barton is keen to lend a hand to Capello. "I'm English and I love playing for my country," he said. "Maybe the people at the top have a problem with me. I don't know. But the trouble I had was four years ago. They should be able to forgive, shouldn't they?"

Newcastle supporters might not regard Barton's appeal as unreasonable. As well as conducting himself in a better fashion, he has been one of the club's most effective and consistent players in a difficult season that has seen popular manager Chris Hughton sacked and striker Andy Carroll sold to Liverpool.

Barton admitted he had been unsettled by Carroll's departure in January and wants Newcastle to prove they can match his own ambition before he extends his contract, which has a year to run. "It's important to respect the people who come to the stadium or watch the games on telly," he said. "That's what I told [the Newcastle management]. I told them the goal shouldn't be just to survive, to finish 16th or 17th, every season.

"We had a good player, Carroll, and we sold him. I told the management that I was worried, that I was scared this might happen every year. But they assured me they don't want to go down that road."

Barton, however, was not entirely convinced by the talks and is urging Newcastle to act by tying their leading players to new deals. "I don't know if I believe them," he said. "I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend. But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and Jose Enrique stay.

"If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire."
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder. Empty Re: Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder.

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 pm

He's right.
    Anonymous

Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder. Empty Re: Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Link?(I know it's know it's real but it's always nice to have a link to quotes)

But yeah Nolan>>>>>>>>>>Barton.

Agree with him completely on his second point though.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/barton-drop-teachers-pet-barry-ndash-im-englands-best-midfielder-2264160.html

Im laughing at how outspoken hes being btw!
    GCU
    GCU

Post by GCU Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm

funny thing is though he is pretty much spot on with everything apart from him being the best obviously, but the way he summed up everyone else was not far from the truth although wilsheres a bit special
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm

He is true laugh
    blackskar
    blackskar

Post by blackskar Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Jack Wilshere isn't bad? He's better then you Barton Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

blackskar wrote:Jack Wilshere isn't bad? He's better then you Barton Neutral

laugh
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Imagine if Joey Barton rejoined Man City. Himself and Balotelli could be best friends, they both talk aload of bollox and both enjoy fighting.

Match made in heaven. Joey Barton says he is the best English midfielder. 6244
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Okay so he overrated himself a bit. But it is hard to disagree with the points he makes about Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

Barton has been better then all 3 of them in the league this season.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Walcott wrote:Imagine if Joey Barton rejoined Man City. Himself and Balotelli could be best friends, they both talk aload of bollox and both enjoy fighting.

Fuck no they'd kill each other, ever put two roosters in a pen? You can't put two assholes in a pen. That's why everybody only has the one asshole in his group of friends, the rest can be a bit douchey but the main asshole is dominant, the alpha and beta assholes if you will.

If you don't have that one asshole friend, you are the asshole friend.
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 pm

BigPoppaSmurf wrote:
    Walcott wrote:Imagine if Joey Barton rejoined Man City. Himself and Balotelli could be best friends, they both talk aload of bollox and both enjoy fighting.

Fuck no they'd kill each other, ever put two roosters in a pen? You can't put two assholes in a pen. That's why everybody only has the one asshole in his group of friends, the rest can be a bit douchey but the main asshole is dominant, the alpha and beta assholes if you will.

Exactly!
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Other than him overating himself and underating a few players, he actually makes a few good points tbf to him.

How he describes Gareth Barry. Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Walcott wrote:
    BigPoppaSmurf wrote:

Exactly!
    This is also why England always fails and why Spain has now begun to
    succeed. There are too many Terry's, Coles, Gerrards and Rooneys in the
    English team, there is too much alpha asshole competition in the locker
    room, now Spain on the other hand didn't have a dominant asshole.

Until Busquests came into the picture, he asserted his dominant alpha asshole role and now the team is united.

It's a philosophy, I'm writing a book and everything. I'm sure the guy's who published Snooki's book will pick it up.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 pm

I agree with Joey.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 pm

I agree with the mexican person.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 pm

BigPoppaSmurf wrote:

So true. Laughing
    Hitchy
    Hitchy

Post by Hitchy Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 pm

blackskar wrote:Jack Wilshere isn't bad? He's better then you Barton Neutral
    Debatable.

I love Barton, even though he's a cunt. Wouldn't mind it if we signed him cheers
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 am

H2H G Barry v J Barton Mins 2361-2248, Goals 2-4, Shots 13-51, Assists 2-7, Chances Created open play 18-25, Pass% 85%-74%,Tackles 78%-81%

Only place where Barton is behind Barry is passing percentage. Although he has also taken more than double (almost 4 times) to score double the goals.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am

Only reason Barton is behind Barry in passing is because Barry plays middle of the field where he can just make short passes comfortably. Whereas Barton is often stuck on the right wing so i'm guessing the passing stat also includes crossing which are obviously much harder to pull off.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:31 am

Barry is an overrated player that shouldn't be playing for England, belongs at City though. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 am

i agree with his Barry comments

that guy is the most average player i have ever seen play at such high level.
    samiz
    samiz

Post by samiz Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 am

Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am

Barry at Villa was class, used to drive the team forward... but yeh he's shit now.

As for Barton saying he's the best thats a joke. Give me Stevie G anyday.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 am

James ♠ wrote:Okay so he overrated himself a bit. But it is hard to disagree with the points he makes about Lampard, Gerrard and Barry.

Barton has been better then all 3 of them in the league this season.

agree with these statements

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:05 am