Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
moscowmadeit3
Zzonked
Cornholio
7 posters

Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season

Cornholio
    Cornholio

Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season Empty Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season

Post by Cornholio Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am

Why scowling, play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season
    By Oliver Holt

A Manchester United fan asked me the other day if I would consider voting for Nani as Footballer of the Year.

Well, maybe there is a way of saying this more gently but I’m not going to waste time searching for it...

I’d get my back waxed before I voted for Nani.

If it was a choice between him and the beach ball that scored against Liverpool last season, I’d take the beach ball.

If it was vote Nani or watch a box-set of Ian Wright on Live From Studio Five, I’d settle down in front of the TV.

If Ashley Cole said it was either put the cross by the Portuguese or help him with target practice, I’d start running to and fro across the firing range.

You’re getting my drift.

Nani’s not in my top five this season. He’s not even in my top 20.

I don’t like him.

I don’t like the way he plays the game.

I don’t like his puerility, his petulance or his play-acting.

I don’t like his blatant efforts to gain an unfair advantage.

I know that, by some criteria, he has had a fine season for United. He has scored crucial goals. He is a fine dribbler. His game has matured.

But that’s not enough. Not when you behave the way he does. Not when you do what he did against Spurs this season.

Not when you try a delayed dive that could easily have got Younes Kaboul sent off. Not when you then handle the ball as you fall.

And not when you take advantage of confusion between the referee and Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes to kick the ball into an empty net.

I don’t care which United players were urging him to do it - it is still probably the most glaring example of bad sportsmanship this season.

Nani’s at it all the time. He goes down like he has been shot at the merest excuse. He waves imaginary cards at referees to try to get opponents booked.

And here’s the saddest thing - despite the backflips and the cartwheels when he scores, there is actually very little joy in his game.

He plays with a scowl. He plays with anger. He plays like everyone is against him. It has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When he was genuinely hurt by a shocking challenge from Jamie Carragher at Anfield earlier this month, no one believed him at first because of his history.

He had a gash in his leg that put him out for a week but he’s cried wolf so often that when he really was a victim of a bad tackle, people thought he was up to his old tricks again.

Being anti-Nani isn’t an anti-United thing. Not for me anyway.

I wouldn’t vote for Didier Drogba for exactly the same reasons.

And, yes, I accept that England players like Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney have been guilty of winning penalties with dives in the past.

Cristiano Ronaldo did his share of play-acting, too, but I came to appreciate that he was one of the bravest players in our league.

He rode plenty of bad tackles and he took way more punishment than Nani. He was also twice the player that Nani is.

It would be nice to think that Nani will change. That he will come to realise that in order to win wider respect in England, he needs to cut out some of the melodrama.

Until that happens, he’s not in the reckoning for Footballer of the Year as far as I’m concerned.

My vote is going to Scott Parker, for the way he has held West Ham together almost single-handedly as they fight against relegation.

Parker has been an inspiration at Upton Park, playing through injury, even playing against Spurs 10 days ago a few hours after the death of his father. He has been a beacon of excellence in a struggling team.

He has given everything to the cause. He has done it without moaning and without agitating for a move. He exudes class off the pitch and on it.

There are plenty of others for whom you could say the same.

My top five this season are Parker, Luka Modric, Jack Wilshere, Nemanja Vidic and John Terry.

So here’s a tip for Nani. When you play at Upton Park on Saturday, try and stay on your feet for a couple of minutes.

And while you’re there, take a look at how Parker goes about his business.

You never know, you might learn something.

Thoughts?
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season Empty Re: Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season

Post by Zzonked Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 am

Sounds like a Mirror article. Am I right?
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season Empty Re: Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season

Post by Cornholio Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:37 am

Aye.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:39 am

I hate Nani, he's such a cry baby cheat.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 am

If we're looking performance wise he's definitely in with a shout, but I don't like how he acts on the pitch myself a lot of the time, when he's rolling around it gets annoying and I'm like just get the fuck up. Neutral

But yeah, as a footballer he's been amazing for us, and I guess that's how these things should be judged, so if he's not in this blokes top 20, then the guy is a retard.

EDIT: "Cristiano Ronaldo did his share of play-acting, too, but I came to appreciate that he was one of the bravest players in our league."

He says that, but then he's going on about Nani and lets face it Nani has been one of the best players in the league, so he's setting double standards, therefore he's a shitecunt.
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 am

Oliver Holt rofl He use to support both United and City as a kid, bellend he is.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 am

In fairness, Nani does deserve to win it.

Anyone who came that close to death and managed to recover within like a week deserves that award in my eyes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:36 am

Dan wrote:In fairness, Nani does deserve to win it.

Anyone who came that close to death and managed to recover within like a week deserves that award in my eyes.

NANI'S RESURRECTION "Well it is close to Easter"

It's good to see Nani is fit and ready to play again after just over a week after receiving his career threatening injury.

It looks like the 2-3 stitches he had in his gaping wound have saved his life, thank god for that, I was really worried after seeing the pints and pints of blood he lost that he would never kick a football ever again.

I understand the medics have been unable to stem the flow of tears though. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Why play-acting Nani won't be my player of the season Man_un10

Its a bloody miracle "Sorry there was not blood involved"
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor
    Dr. Ján Ĩtor

Formerly known as : XxBradKennedyxX

Post by Dr. Ján Ĩtor Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:59 am

I dont like him, I hate how one minute hes scoring brilliant goals and the next he's skying 1-on-1's into the 2nd tier, and yet his cocky swag never seems to disappear. I also hate how some defenders are so poor and they just back off from him because they're scared and he just cuts in on his left and scores, makes me think if the defenders werent so shit nani wouldnt have socred nearly as many, and hed be being remembered more for the horrible misses than his goals.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 am

Dan wrote:In fairness, Nani does deserve to win it.

Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 am

XxBradKennedyxX wrote:I dont like him, I hate how one minute hes scoring brilliant goals and the next he's skying 1-on-1's into the 2nd tier, and yet his cocky swag never seems to disappear. I also hate how some defenders are so poor and they just back off from him because they're scared and he just cuts in on his left and scores, makes me think if the defenders werent so shit nani wouldnt have socred nearly as many, and hed be being remembered more for the horrible misses than his goals.
    What a fucking shit comment.

Have you noticed how when Messi has the ball everyone gets scared, yeah that's because he's made them feel that way, once Nani goes each side of a defender they can't cover one side because he can use both feet equally well, give the guy some fucking credit.

You might think defenders play well v your beloved Bale but that's not the case, he can hardly cut on his right, so everyone knows he's going to knock it as far as he can and chase it, so they read it. Neutral

Do you hate how Bale smashes Maicon then gets 1 assist in the league?

Last edited by kyro7 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:22 am; edited 2 times in total
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 am

Nani > Messi
    Trig
    Trig

Formerly known as : And0TheGr8

Post by Trig Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 am

not worthy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:15 am

Fine Shagger wrote:Nani > Messi
    Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:18 pm