Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Cornholio
menalawyerguy
6 posters

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea

menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea Empty David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Manchester United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea, says CEO
    Manchester United is still able to compete for players with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea, despite debts of half a billion pounds, CEO David Gill has told Arabian Business.
    He added the club had recently demonstrated, by increasing star striker Wayne Rooney’s salary to a reported £250,000 a week, it was able to prevent players from being poached by richer clubs.
    “We can compete, we can compete for top players. People say we don’t, but we have bought well, and our goal at Manchester United is to make sure we develop our own players and also buy good players,” he said at the opening of a Manchester United Soccer School in Abu Dhabi.
    Asked if Manchester United could still compete with Abu Dhabi-owned Manchester City should a player such as Kaka come onto the market, Gill said: “If we wanted to. Over time, if you follow Manchester United, you will know we have rarely bought the world star. We have made them world stars by playing for Manchester United, and that will continue.”Once the richest football club in the world, Manchester United was taken over in 2005 by the American Glazer family, who had to borrow heavily to buy the team. Gill said he was still “comfortable” with United’s business model.

“Now, in terms of our business model, we have got debt that we didn’t have before. The debt levels we have got are roughly £500m in bonds, the interest costs on that are roughly £45m, and our EBITDA is in the order of £100m, and growing. So we can easily service our debt. So we are comfortable with our business strategy and business model going forward,” he said.
    He added selling then World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009 did not mean United had become a selling club, unable to retain its top talent.
    “No we didn’t want to sell him [Ronaldo], we didn’t want to, but he was going to go anyway. It wasn’t about money, it wasn’t about his contract. We showed with Wayne Rooney we will pay the appropriate amount to keep players.”
    Gill refused to comment on whether Manchester United would back plans to move the 2022 World Cup from the summer to cooler winter months, which would potentially disrupt the European football seasons.
    He was also tight lipped on whether Jose Mourinho would be the successor to current manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
    “All I would say to that is that Alex is on a rolling contract, he is on the record as saying that he will continue to manage as long as he keeps fit, so in answer to the question, while we follow what is happening in football, I am not going to sit here today and say who we have in mind. Because we don’t know what the time frame is…. I am sure there are some other good managers around. He’s [Mourinho] a good manager.”
    Anonymous

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea Empty Re: David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

why buy famous player when u can give new contracts to david gils son even though he is crap?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea Empty Re: David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Good point. The backbone of Man Utd's sustained success has been their ability to sign and retain crappy sons of David Gill.

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea 537999
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 pm

It is obvious they can't live up to the spending power and if both Chelsea and Man City buy the right players and don't overhaul their squad every season then they will leave Man U behind.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:07 am

I'm with James.

This is the first time I've heard Utd sound nervous.

They offered their best player and pretty much legend amongst the fans (regardless of the transfer request) an amazing contract and that means they can compete?

City are offering the same sort of contracts to fucking randomers in the street.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 am

He doesn't sound nervous to me. Doom has been predicated at Old Trafford for a few years now and not only has it not come, but the team has continued to thrive. They're annual debt costs are down from £60m to £45m because they actually bought down some of their debt last year. That would be significant debt tag if we were talking about Blackpool, but since we're talking about one of the most powerful revenue-generating machines in the history of sport, it's really not that big of a deal.
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:19 am

David gill talks so much shit anyway Neutral
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:20 am

Maybe.

But this is one contract. I can't see them being able to offer that to new players. Their spending has seemed to drop in recent times.

Really, if City carry on I can't see Man U being able to compete with them.

I read today that a deal is almost in place for Lukaku aswell David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea 58503
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 am

They've been net-buyers every year since the Glazer's assumed control except one, and in that one they were only net-sellers because they had no choice but to sell Ronaldo. They would have been a net-buyer that year by about £16 million if they didn't have to sell Ronaldo.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 am

menalawyerguy wrote:Good point. The backbone of Man Utd's sustained success has been their ability to sign and retain crappy sons of David Gill.

David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea 537999

Laughing
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 am

menalawyerguy wrote:They've been net-buyers every year since the Glazer's assumed control except one, and in that one they were only net-sellers because they had no choice but to sell Ronaldo. They would have been a net-buyer that year by about £16 million if they didn't have to sell Ronaldo.

Maybe it's just one of those things where because I haven't been fully researching their activity, I've been influenced by the media to believe they don't spend as much.

But, the thing that sticks out is that Fergie has said for the last few windows he will not be making any transfers. Although he usually goes against what he's said, they're not usually massive signings. They've been one's like Hernandez, I know he's been good but his price wasn't big.

Also, I think the reason they've been net spenders is simply because Fergie never sells a player who is worth anything, unless Real Madrid need someone from their feeder club.
    fergiesrednose
    fergiesrednose

Post by fergiesrednose Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:54 am

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ wrote:Maybe.

But this is one contract. I can't see them being able to offer that to new players. Their spending has seemed to drop in recent times.

Really, if City carry on I can't see Man U being able to compete with them.

I read today that a deal is almost in place for Lukaku aswell David Gill: United 'can still compete' with City, Chelsea 58503

facepalm

the city wankers can't keep on offering crazy contracts due to forth coming financial restrictions. United are fine. I'd be far more worried about your league position than our spending power whistle
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 am

They should sign Ronaldo.

Awesome Face

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:28 am