Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
Trent
PrideOfTheMidlands
Dagbon
RessurectionRooney
SophisticatedBeggar
Forest
Zzonked
Free_Mustache_Rides
El_indian
Novi
ResurrectionRooney
Scuba Steve
jeb4eva
Glen Miller
The Zlatan
vel
FCB
SBSP
Sean
Stranger
Ra's al Ghul
Keyser Söze
Jordi
Childish Logic
Theo Filippo
29 posters

Chat Thread

Free_Mustache_Rides

Chat Thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Chat Thread

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 am

Zzonked wrote:
    Free_Mustache_Rides wrote:More entertaining than the actual fight.

I feel so vindicated by last night's spectacle because I've been telling anyone who was willing to listen that this fight should not happen for the last five years.

Also kinda sad because I know that the casual fans that watched last night's fight will probably be put off from the sport for life after that.

I mean it was predictable that it was going to be super boring, but I wanted it to happen because of the spectacle of the thing anyway.

If people want a good fight as a casual fan Gennady Golovkin never fails to deliver.
    In a couple of years (two or tree) GGG vs Canelo is going to be the fight to see.

Well, Canelo will have to beat Kirkland first this weekend, he's pretty good to be honest and is a genuine threat.

Then again, I still have this fresh in my memory.

Damn, those commentators were so disrespectful to Ishida. Laughing
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 pm

What a groce election.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Absolute horror show.  Clegg's just gone as leader. Welling up here.

Farage also went half an hour ago but he's running again.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri May 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Why did everyone bitch about the government for 5 years only to re-elect a more "concentrated" version of it for another 5 years?
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Fri May 08, 2015 10:30 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:Why did everyone bitch about the government for 5 years only to re-elect a more "concentrated" version of it for another 5 years?    
    They made everyone fear the Labour-SNP coalition even more.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:Why did everyone bitch about the government for 5 years only to re-elect a more "concentrated" version of it for another 5 years?    

Not everyone bitched about it, this is the problem with the pervasiveness of the internet, it gives people warped ideas about what people believe. A large majority of the people on the internet at any one time are the young and popular figures who appeal to the young, the young are always more likely to vote for the more left wing parties. You see more support for the green party online that you do for the Conservatives.

The national polls consistently gave the Conservatives a small lead, and when it came to actually ticking the box a small but significant minority of Labour supporters just couldn't get behind such a weird, credibility free freak as Ed Milliband as Prime Minister. Nick Clegg has done a dreadful job in communicating the good work the Liberal Democrats have done so they've been arse fucked and a lot of those went to Conservative.

The Labour party have let themselves down and they've let their country down, by electing such a fucking prick as their leader they removed any credible alternative and have guaranteed at least two years of huge economic uncertainty and they've cost us our Human Rights. Ed Miliband himself is responsible, he should never have taken the position and it would have been in the best interests of his family, his party and his country for him to give his support to his brother. Unfortunately his ego was too big.

It was astonishing to me that they gave that man a guard of honour and cheered and clapped for him as he went to give his speech, he should have been stoned.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:

Not everyone bitched about it, this is the problem with the pervasiveness of the internet, it gives people warped ideas about what people believe.  A large majority of the people on the internet at any one time are the young and popular figures who appeal to the young, the young are always more likely to vote for the more left wing parties.  You see more support for the green party online that you do for the Conservatives.  

I wasn't talking about about the lead up to this election, and I seriously don't read any internet forums with opinion about politics. I'm just saying that throughout these last 5 years it seemed to me that people weren't happy with the government, whenever I saw/read anything on TV or in newspapers it looked that way. Could it be that the media had a bias?

Do you think the UK will vote to leave the EU?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri May 08, 2015 11:25 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:

Not everyone bitched about it, this is the problem with the pervasiveness of the internet, it gives people warped ideas about what people believe.  A large majority of the people on the internet at any one time are the young and popular figures who appeal to the young, the young are always more likely to vote for the more left wing parties.  You see more support for the green party online that you do for the Conservatives.  

I wasn't talking about about the lead up to this election, and I seriously don't read any internet forums with opinion about politics. I'm just saying that throughout these last 5 years it seemed to me that people weren't happy with the government, whenever I saw/read anything on TV or in newspapers it looked that way. Could it be that the media had a bias?

Yeah, but you use Twitter, Facebook etc. don't you?

Serious question - how old are you? Every government is always criticised relentlessly by the media in this country, Conservative, Labour, Coalition, doesn't matter, recession, boom period, austerity, overspending, whatever. Tony Blair was hugely popular by the standards of the last 25 years and was in bed with the Murdochs (quite literally depending on who you believe) got an unbelievable amount of shit from the media. There's no bias other than a persistent bias against the incumbents.

I expect we'll stay in the EU, the credible politicians and both main parties are in favour of staying, it's a terrible idea to leave and fundamentally I do believe in democracy bringing the right results. There is a serious, serious risk of it all going tits up though, and the two years of uncertainty leading up to it are bad for everyone. Scotland will demand another referendum if the UK leaves the EU and rightly so. The rest of the UK can do what it likes, but Scotland will stay - so will I.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sat May 09, 2015 12:39 am

Keyser Söze wrote:

Serious question - how old are you?  Every government is always criticised relentlessly by the media in this country, Conservative, Labour, Coalition, doesn't matter, recession, boom period, austerity, overspending, whatever.  Tony Blair was hugely popular by the standards of the last 25 years and was in bed with the Murdochs (quite literally depending on who you believe) got an unbelievable amount of shit from the media.   There's no bias other than a persistent bias against the incumbents.

I expect we'll stay in the EU, the credible politicians and both main parties are in favour of staying, it's a terrible idea to leave and fundamentally I do believe in democracy bringing the right results.  There is a serious, serious risk of it all going tits up though, and the two years of uncertainty leading up to it are bad for everyone.  Scotland will demand another referendum if the UK leaves the EU and rightly so.  The rest of the UK can do what it likes, but Scotland will stay - so will I.

No, I don't use any form of social media. Posting on forums is the extent of it for me.

Well I've only been old enough to pay attention and really live through it for the last 5 years. Even if for example you were 23 now, you'd have been 18 during that last election and 13-18 during the 5 years prior to that. It's not inconceivable for a 13,14,15 and 16 year old to not pay attention to political nuances.

So you're planning to move to Scotland/another part of the EU if the UK votes to leave?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 1:23 am

Keyser Söze wrote:

Serious question - how old are you?  Every government is always criticised relentlessly by the media in this country, Conservative, Labour, Coalition, doesn't matter, recession, boom period, austerity, overspending, whatever.  Tony Blair was hugely popular by the standards of the last 25 years and was in bed with the Murdochs (quite literally depending on who you believe) got an unbelievable amount of shit from the media.   There's no bias other than a persistent bias against the incumbents.

I expect we'll stay in the EU, the credible politicians and both main parties are in favour of staying, it's a terrible idea to leave and fundamentally I do believe in democracy bringing the right results.  There is a serious, serious risk of it all going tits up though, and the two years of uncertainty leading up to it are bad for everyone.  Scotland will demand another referendum if the UK leaves the EU and rightly so.  The rest of the UK can do what it likes, but Scotland will stay - so will I.

No, I don't use any form of social media. Posting on forums is the extent of it for me.

Well I've only been old enough to pay attention and really live through it for the last 5 years. Even if for example you were 23 now, you'd have been 18 during that last election and 13-18 during the 5 years prior to that. It's not inconceivable for a 13,14,15 and 16 year old to not pay attention to political nuances.

So you're planning to move to Scotland/another part of the EU if the UK votes to leave?

No, sure, plenty of people don't pay attention - I've just had a 24 year old ask me if the Conservatives want Britain to join the EU for example - was just curious.

That's my plan yes, although I think Scotland will be dragged out at least initially if the UK goes. It would more likely be the Republic of Ireland since I'm already a citizen.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Sat May 09, 2015 2:11 am

Keyser Söze wrote:I wasn't talking about about the lead up to this election, and I seriously don't read any internet forums with opinion about politics. I'm just saying that throughout these last 5 years it seemed to me that people weren't happy with the government, whenever I saw/read anything on TV or in newspapers it looked that way. Could it be that the media had a bias?

It's hard to find any country where the people are happy with the government.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Sat May 09, 2015 3:17 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:and fundamentally I do believe in democracy bringing the right results.

Oh liberals and your funny little delusions.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 am

The people of this country need to be ruled with an iron fist. Give them democracy and they'll vote for the wrong people anyway.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat May 09, 2015 9:03 am

https://twitter.com/TheeCeeCees/status/595860492918358016
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 am

I wonder if there will be any major change after this election or it's just going to be status quo. It feels like people are getting sick of the system we have. I hate UKIP but the fact that they got 3.8 million votes and one seat while SNP got 56 seats for their 1.4 million looks pretty silly.

That said people will probably just go back to normal life and forget about this shit in a few days - probably me included.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sat May 09, 2015 9:52 am

Imagine being so privileged that you can do whatever the fuck you want since birth. Insane concept.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am

Zzonked wrote:https://twitter.com/TheeCeeCees/status/595860492918358016

Far more Prime Ministerial material on the right.

Zzonked wrote:I wonder if there will be any major change after this election or it's just going to be status quo. It feels like people are getting sick of the system we have. I hate UKIP but the fact that they got 3.8 million votes and one seat while SNP got 56 seats for their 1.4 million looks pretty silly.

That said people will probably just go back to normal life and forget about this shit in a few days - probably me included.

There was a referendum on this 4 years ago. Of the 45 million eligible voters 13 million backed the current electoral system while 26 million couldn't be arsed to vote on it. This is the first election since that decision was made, anyone among those 39 million people cannot moan about it. They've either got the electoral system they wanted or the one they deserved.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Sat May 09, 2015 10:47 am

Keyser Söze wrote:Imagine being so privileged that you can do whatever the fuck you want since birth. Insane concept.
    Are you at university yet?  It doesn't really sink in until then.

@RR:  Who would replace Clegg & Miliband in your ideal situation?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 11:25 am

Glen Miller wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:Imagine being so privileged that you can do whatever the fuck you want since birth. Insane concept.
    Are you at university yet?  It doesn't really sink in until then.

@RR:  Who would replace Clegg & Miliband in your ideal situation?

Clegg - I have no idea, they have 7 MPs who aren't Clegg, apparently it has to be one of them, but I don't know anything about any of them. I don't pay much attention to the backbenches. They will have to be pretty fucking amazing to resurrect the Lib Dems from this though.

Miliband - It should be Blair, they should never have got rid of him in the first place, he could have been this country's equivalent of Saddam Hussein or Robert Mugabe, but in a good way. Nobody since has been anywhere near as effective in leadership as him.

As far as realistic candidates are concerned, again, I don't pay much attention to the backbenches so I couldn't really say, but I've no confidence whatsoever they'll pick the right man. They will probably appoint some well meaning dick head who nobody outside the party ever thinks should be Prime Minister and lose again at the next election.

Since Wilson left they have appointed a series of compete fuck ups entirely lacking in credibility with the only exception being Blair himself, who won them two huge majorities and one large majority by himself. The other 5 Labour leaders who've fought elections in that time have lost all of them. If John Smith hadn't died when he did I dread to think what this country could look like now.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Sat May 09, 2015 11:32 am

Omg but Tony Blair is a war mongerer!

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 11:47 am

I do oppose both wars we got involved with - Afghanistan even moreso than Iraq although he always seems to get away with that one - but he was Prime Minister for 10 years, he's going to make one or two mistakes. In 2020 I'd rather have someone who has been Prime Minister, made mistakes, had ten years to reflect on them and learn from them, than someone who has never even held an important cabinet position.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat May 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Tony Blair is a sellout.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Who did he sell out to?
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat May 09, 2015 12:43 pm

The right
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 1:07 pm

That's not selling out, it's giving the people what they want. I'd rather someone who will do that at the head of the labour party than the Gordon Browns, Ed Milibands and Michael Feet of the world. The latter effectively allow the Conservatives to do whatever the hell they like because there's no credible opposition.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat May 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Labour's lost most of its credibility because of him and the like. That's why they've been booted out of Scotland.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Sat May 09, 2015 3:10 pm

It's got nothing to do with Blair (Except for his absence), it's to do with the nationalist uprising in Scotland probably triggered by that referendum and Miliband being a terrible leader. The amount of people that I know who said they would've voted labour if it wasn't for Miliband as leader was quite surprising. Laughing
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Zzonked wrote:I wonder if there will be any major change after this election or it's just going to be status quo. It feels like people are getting sick of the system we have. I hate UKIP but the fact that they got 3.8 million votes and one seat while SNP got 56 seats for their 1.4 million looks pretty silly.

Its the world we live in, people will find something else to get mad about. I think some kids just got kidnapped in africa, we should tweet about that.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 pm

SBSP wrote:Labour's lost most of its credibility because of him and the like. That's why they've been booted out of Scotland.

Labour lost it's credibility because he left and was replaced with nobodies.  Even if he had lost every single seat in Scotland he would still have had comfortable majorities in his first two electoral wins and and been the largest party by well over 100 seats in this third win.

On that point, electoral results in Scotland before, during and after Tony Blair's Prime Ministership

Before

1992: Labour 49, Conservative 11, Liberal Democrat 9, SNP 3 (68% of seats)

Under Blair

1997: Labour 56, Liberal Democrat 10, SNP 6 (77%)
    2001: Labour 56, Liberal Democrat 10, SNP 5, Conservative 1 (77%)
    2005: Labour 41, Liberal Democrat 11, SNP 6, Conservative 1 (69%)

First election after Tony Blair left, 3 years on.

2010: Labour 41, Liberal Democrat 11, SNP 6, Conservative 1 (69%)

Doesn't look like he did too much harm to me.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun May 10, 2015 2:02 am

The fact that people voted against AV a few years ago is really depressing. AV isn't the best system but it's a lot better than FPTP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:29 am