Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Bye_Ya
VivaRonaldoLAD
Mal
7 posters

Google Fiber

Anonymous

Google Fiber Empty Google Fiber

Post by Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Google Fiber Google-fiber1

One of the most awaited projects from Google in the past few years, Google Fiber, has finally been launched.

The average American consumer should be very excited about this project, because, even if Google doesn’t intend to compete with other ISPs on a national level, the service should still push ISPs to try to match Google’s speed and pricing. Seeing how US has one of the slowest and most expensive internet industry in the world, this move is a very welcome one, indeed.

But why is this important to Google? Google is at a point (and has been for a while) where it can only grow by expanding “the Internet”. They grow by helping people browse faster and get access to faster Internet. Plus, gigabit speeds will help proliferate more advanced web-apps, once people won’t have to worry about their Internet speed anymore. A fast browser and a fast Internet connection is what’s needed for that, as we already have very cheap storage and powerful enough computers.

Google has split their Google Fiber plans in 3:

a $120/month plan, that offers 1Gbps Internet connection, with Fiber TV and a Nexus 7 included
    a $70/month plan, that offers 1Gbps Internet connection
    a “free” plan, that offers a 5 Mbps Internet connection

$120/month package

1 Gbps Internet (download and upload)
    no data caps
    full channel TV lineup
    free Nexus 7 (you can use as TV remote as well)
    TV box
    2 TB storage box (for recordings)
    network box (includes 802.11a/b/g/n 360 Mbps Wi-Fi)
    1 TB of Google Drive storage
    2 year contract
    $300 construction fee (temporarily waived)
    optional: $299+ Chromebooks

$70/month package

1 Gbps Internet (download and upload)
    no data caps
    network box
    1 TB Google Drive
    1 year contract
    $300 construction fee (temporarily waived)

Free Internet package

free 5 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload (average national speeds)
    no data caps
    free service guaranteed for at least 7 years
    network box
    $300 construction fee upfront or 12 payments of $25/month

The Google Fiber service will only start in Kansas City (both Missouri and Kansas) for now, but Google promised it will become available in other cities, depending on how much those cities want them there.

Google announced that the fiber network will be turned on selectively, in the neighborhoods of KC that are most interested in getting Fiber. To gauge this interest, Google has announced a sign up program ($10 fee); the “Fiberhoods” with the most signups, will get Google Fiber first. The sign up period extends to September 9, so if you want to benefit from Google Fiber, head over to the pre-register page.

Google wank 2
    Mal
    Mal

Google Fiber Empty Re: Google Fiber

Post by Mal Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 am

My Internet is nearly as quick already. At first I thought 1gbps was 1 gigabyte. okay
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 am

Mal wrote:My Internet is nearly as quick already. At first I thought 1gbps was 1 gigabyte. okay
    How very silly of you.
    VivaRonaldoLAD
    VivaRonaldoLAD

Supports : Giggsy 12-0 Gerrard

Post by VivaRonaldoLAD Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am

Read the title of this thread and thought something cool would happen when I googled the word "fiber" facepalm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:41 am

Viva Ronaldo 7 wrote:Read the title of this thread and thought something cool would happen when I googled the word "fiber" facepalm

Laughing

Sounds great. I'll sign up for it when it eventually hits NY. Google really should try to push other ISP's with this service. The internet in the US lags behind that of a lot of countries in terms of speed, affordability, etc. Healthy competition driven by improved service is one way to deal with that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:14 am

Mal wrote:My Internet is nearly as quick already. At first I thought 1gbps was 1 gigabyte. okay

Dry Smile

My internet is 20 Mbps in the US. With Google, I would have internet like 50 times as fast!

The price is also great. I think we pay the same for internet and TV as Google is offering. WIth Google, I get much faster internet, Google TV, abundant storage, and a free a Nexus 7. I would get this service in a heartbeat if it was offered in my city.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Dry Smile

My internet is 20 Mbps in the US. With Google, I would have internet like 50 times as fast!

The price is also great. I think we pay the same for internet and TV as Google is offering. WIth Google, I get much faster internet, Google TV, abundant storage, and a free a Nexus 7. I would get this service in a heartbeat if it was offered in my city.

A gigabit is 125mbps by the way. shifty
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:05 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Dry Smile

Same here. As soon as it's offered where I live I will sign up.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 am

Viva Ronaldo 7 wrote:Read the title of this thread and thought something cool would happen when I googled the word "fiber" facepalm
    Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:20 am

Mal wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

Google Fiber 537999

A gigabit is 125mbps by the way. Google Fiber 279869

I don't think so. 1 Giga = 1000 Mega (technically it's 1024 MB). So 1 Gbps = 1024 Mbps.

I wrote "1 Gbps to Mbps" in Google and it said 1024 Mbps too.
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:24 am

Correct.
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:26 am

I currently have 10 megabit internet for $30/month. So this is something I'll get as soon as it comes to L.A. 100x the speed I have now.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:29 am

Ahly, you're an idiot.

GB = Gigabyte
    MB = Megabyte

Gb = Gigabit
    Mb = Megabit

ISPs market their products under "Mb"/"Meg" or "Gb"/"Gig" because a bit is 8 times smaller than a byte, Mb is 8 times smaller than MB, Gb is 8 times smaller than GB, and most people aren't knowledgeable enough to understand the difference. Makes their speeds seem a lot faster than they really are to those who don't know very much about computers - the simple minded, the elderly and the young - which should be illegal, but isn't.

Mal, you also get idiot points for using the acronym "mbps" as well, as it is completely meaningless terminology and a faulty comparison, but you're right with what you're trying to say, a Gigabit is equivalent to 125MB.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:32 am

So actually both Mal and I are right, but we are using different terminology. 1 Gbps is 1024 Mbps. But 1 Gb = 124 MB.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:47 am

ahlycotc wrote:So actually both Mal and I are right, but we are using different terminology. 1 Gbps is 1024 Mbps. But 1 Gb = 124 MB.

No, 1Gb is 128MB. The key thing you should take away from this is that it is very important to get the casing right when you're doing your conversions (although where you've got 1Gb = 124MB from I have no idea).
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 am

Yeah I meant to say 128 MB; it was a typo. My original point was that 1 Gbps would be about 50 times faster than my current speed. Mal said I was wrong and that 1 Gb = 128 MB. That conversion rate is a fact but wasn't relevant to what I was talking about or comparing.
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 pm

ahlycotc wrote:Yeah I meant to say 128 MB; it was a typo. My original point was that 1 Gbps would be about 50 times faster than my current speed. Mal said I was wrong and that 1 Gb = 128 MB. That conversion rate is a fact but wasn't relevant to what I was talking about or comparing.

I don't see where the confusion happened. Mal is right 1Gb= 128MB, but your speed in 20Mb(2.5MB) which is about 50x less than Google fiber. Everyone was correct in their original post.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:37 pm