Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Fulham v Wigan - 3pm kick off

menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Fulham v Wigan - 3pm kick off - Page 2 Empty Re: Fulham v Wigan - 3pm kick off

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 am

L. wrote:Uh oh, I don't want to be put in the same category as Jela. shifty

Wouldn't dare, L. You are 20 leagues above Jela. king
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 am

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:Wouldn't expect an amoeba brain like Jela to grasp my point. facepalm

I never said anything. scratch

Lmao, making up shit because I destroyed him earlier. haha

Right...you didn't say "mena spaz." Just like you're suddenly not a Rangers fan. Seriously man...you are an abomination.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:57 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:

I never said anything. scratch

Lmao, making up shit because I destroyed him earlier. haha

Right...you didn't say "mena spaz." Just like you're suddenly not a Rangers fan. Seriously man...you are an abomination.

Evident cretin is evidently a cretin. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am

I'm not a Wigan supporter, I'm a fan of the manager which I guess makes me a fan of the club currently. I do not support Wigan in any way though.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Leaving aside the meaningless nuance between being a "fan of" and a "supporter of," nobody said you are a supporter.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 pm

But I know what people meant because them same people call themselves a fan of their own club (which they obviously are but they think it means the same as supporter) and someone said Wigan was my team/club..?
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 pm

The difference between fan and supporter is purely semantic.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:The difference between fan and supporter is purely semantic.

Drivel surely?

Fan = Someone who follows a teams results, wants them to win.

Supporter = Someone who goes to matches i.e. supports their team. Buys merchandise, has a certain feeling if they lose i.e. feels gutted.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 pm

You wouldn't know a cogent argument if it crawled into your diaper. The only part I agree with you on is the feeling part. Somebody who feels joy after a win or gutted after a loss is a supporter. "Support" can be emotional as well as financial. The idea that only financial support qualifies is elitist nonsense.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:You wouldn't know a cogent argument if it crawled into your diaper. The only part I agree with you on is the feeling part. Somebody who feels joy after a win or gutted after a loss is a supporter. "Support" can be emotional as well as financial. The idea that only financial support qualifies is elitist nonsense.

I respect your opinion although I don't necessarily agree with it.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:The difference between fan and supporter is purely semantic.

Drivel surely?

Supporter = Someone who goes to matches i.e. supports their team. Buys merchandise, has a certain feeling if they lose i.e. feels gutted.

Wrong. According to dictionary.com:

Supporter= A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).

Fan= An apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Zzonked wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:

Drivel surely?

Wrong. According to dictionary.com:

Supporter= A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).

Fan= An apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.

rofl
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:You wouldn't know a cogent argument if it crawled into your diaper. The only part I agree with you on is the feeling part. Somebody who feels joy after a win or gutted after a loss is a supporter. "Support" can be emotional as well as financial. The idea that only financial support qualifies is elitist nonsense.

Fine with me. Tell that to the millions of South American football fans who are too poor to lend any financial support whatsoever to their respective NTs. I'm sure they would be surprised to learn they are not actual supporters.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Emotional support only matters if the players can see it. They can't see that from hundreds/thousands of miles away.

Sure you can buy all the merchandise you want, you are only funding the owner though. Ultimately it is up to him/her/them if they want to put that money into the club.

This is where I find Man U fans funny who don't actually go to the games, they obviously don't support the team from home, but they claim buying merchandise, paying for SKY etc supports the club. It doesn't, it supports the owner and the fact they hate the owner makes their point even more stupid.

In my opinion, to support the team you'd have to directly affect how they perform. The only true ways to do this are A) Going to the games and supporting them vocally, B) Having a sexual relationship with a player to make him perform better (Boateng's girlfriend) or C) to offer personal incentive for them to want to perform better.

To summarise - It's impossible to support the team but not the club or the owners. It is possible to support the club but not the team. And anyone who doesn't attend games in person, doesn't have a sexual relationship with a player (in real life kyro) or doesn't give the players an incentive to go out there and perform are not supporters.

Last edited by James on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:

Fine with me. Tell that to the millions of South American football fans who are too poor to lend any financial support whatsoever to their respective NTs. I'm sure they would be surprised to learn they are not actual supporters.

I didn't mean it from a financial perspective, it was more a sign of support i.e. showing the support by wearing the teams colours.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Jelavić7|EFC wrote:

See, you say that but the buzz that goes around in the country before major tournaments does affect the players. This is directly affecting the players therefore would be classed as support. It isn't always beneficial but it would be classed as supporting imo. Massive expectation and pressure on the England team has made them mess up on penalty shootouts plenty of times. You can't tell me if this was Estonia that they'd have lost all of them shoot outs with the same quality players?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:28 am