Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Mal
menalawyerguy
Mustangt125
chiboygeorge
Childish Logic
Cadbury
10 posters

Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona"

Anonymous

Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" Empty Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona"

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 am

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=838051&sec=global&cc=5901
    Barcelona playmaker Xavi has heaped praise on team-mate Lionel Messi, claiming the Argentinian ace is "indisputably" the world's top player and is even better than his countryman Diego Maradona.

Messi and Xavi have both been shortlisted for the prestigious FIFA Ballon d'Or award, which Messi won last year having finished second in 2008 and third in 2007.

Messi himself has doubts he will retain the award, believing this summer's World Cup will play a big part in the voting - Argentina were beaten 4-0 at the quarter-final stage by Germany, while Spain, who provide seven of the 23-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or, won the tournament.

However, while Messi may not fancy his chances of defending his title, for Xavi there is not a player in the game who can compare with the 23-year-old.

When asked about his own possibilities of winning the Ballon d'Or, Xavi told FIFA: "I'll repeat what I've been telling everybody: I hope that a Spanish player wins it and if not, I hope it goes to my friend Leo Messi.

"He's indisputably the best player in the world, and he's going to win the Ballon d'Or several more times. But in World Cup years the tournament is a big factor, and Andres (Iniesta) and I won it, while La Albiceleste didn't hit the heights expected of them."

Xavi continued about Messi: "A player like him only comes around once every 50 years. The only reason the rest of us have any chance of winning this year is because the World Cup didn't turn out too well for Argentina, because if it had, then it (the Ballon d'Or) would be no contest.

"In my view, Leo is now even better than Maradona was. He's going to be at the very top for many years to come, there's nobody like him.

"He loves taking responsibility, he never hides away. And I've known him since he was a kid, I've watched him develop and I can say that he's tremendously professional and has good people around him. He's got all the ingredients for success."

Xavi feels the only person in the modern game who can compare to Messi is Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo, although the Spain international still rates his club-mate above the world's most expensive player.

"Cristiano is an incredible player. That's something you realise when you come up against him and see his speed, strength and his shooting," said Xavi.

"At the moment he and Messi are on another planet, a notch above everybody else, and Leo's a step above the Portuguese. Messi is undeniably the best player in the world."

Xavi, meanwhile, also admitted he might not be as effective in a team like Real Madrid as he is for Barca and Spain.

"Let me say one thing: I depend on my team-mates. My football and my passing would be worthless without my team's help. That's something which is very clear to me," he said.

"Sometimes I start thinking and I look at Madrid for example, who have truly great players, but I'd struggle with them. They play through the middle and I need players who open the play down the flanks, who make diagonal runs, who leave space for me in the centre and who never stop moving."

I wouldn't say Messi is better than Maradona just yet. He is definitely near that level though.

Messi is more effective at club level while Maradona was more effective for Argentina. But i can see Messi emulating Maradona on the World Cup stage one day. He still has a lot of chances to prove it.
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" Empty Re: Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona"

Post by Cadbury Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:27 am

Deluded Catalonians.
    Anonymous

Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" Empty Re: Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona"

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:30 am

NGreat wrote:Deluded Catalonians.

Well Maradona played for Barca too.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

If you put Maradona at his best and Messi now on the same pitch, I think Messi would shine through as the better player. :crdance:
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 pm

-VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV-
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Messi is better than maradona but there is no doubt in my mind that if Maradona didn't fuck around the whole time then he would be twice the player messi is.
    chiboygeorge
    chiboygeorge

Post by chiboygeorge Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Messi is not on Maradona level yet....Messi will NEVER accomplish what Maradona did with Argentina - that is, beat Brazil in the World Cup and win the WC for Argentina.
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Messi would of done it. Yet a certain person got in his way.

chiboygeorge
    chiboygeorge

Post by chiboygeorge Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:30 pm

NZG wrote:Messi would of done it. Yet a certain person got in his way.

Who? what? Laughing
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Maradona and his shit team picking E.T.C
    chiboygeorge
    chiboygeorge

Post by chiboygeorge Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 pm

NZG wrote:Maradona and his shit team picking E.T.C
    Argentina would have won the WC if it wasn't for Maradona? eek No man, they are just pure useless collectively.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Why are all the Barca players constantly declaring how good each other are?
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Post by Childish Logic Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:09 pm

chiboygeorge wrote:
    Argentina would have won the WC if it wasn't for Maradona? eek No man, they are just pure useless collectively.

If not won they would of gotten very close.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Too much emphasis is placed on winning the World Cup. It should have a lot of wieght, but it shouldn't be the end-all, be-all. If it is, then does that mean Pedro is better than Messi? There's so much circumstance involved in winning World Cups. The best players get three, maybe four bites at the apple in their career. And if they aren't surrounded by the right mix at the right time, they don't win. So just because Messi hasn't won doesn't disqualify him. With that said, I still think Maradona was a better player and cheater than Messi. Messi might wind up being a better player but he will never be a better cheater.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:Too much emphasis is placed on winning the World Cup. It should have a lot of wieght, but it shouldn't be the end-all, be-all. If it is, then does that mean Pedro is better than Messi? There's so much circumstance involved in winning World Cups. The best players get three, maybe four bites at the apple in their career. And if they aren't surrounded by the right mix at the right time, they don't win. So just because Messi hasn't won doesn't disqualify him. With that said, I still think Maradona was a better player and cheater than Messi. Messi might wind up being a better player but he will never be a better cheater.

Totally agree. A player should not be judged on his trophies but on his ability. Messi is playing in the modern era, defence's are harder to break down, they're more organised and he's little in a game full of big physical players now.
    Torresxvilla
    Torresxvilla

Post by Torresxvilla Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:25 pm

NZG wrote:
    chiboygeorge wrote:

If not won they would of gotten very close.

Well I guess this is assuming if Zanetti/Cambiasso + co. were picked...we will never know though.

Germany was 10x better on that day though, in all fairness.

chiboygeorge
    chiboygeorge

Post by chiboygeorge Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 am

menalawyerguy wrote:Too much emphasis is placed on winning the World Cup. It should have a lot of wieght, but it shouldn't be the end-all, be-all. If it is, then does that mean Pedro is better than Messi? There's so much circumstance involved in winning World Cups. The best players get three, maybe four bites at the apple in their career. And if they aren't surrounded by the right mix at the right time, they don't win. So just because Messi hasn't won doesn't disqualify him. With that said, I still think Maradona was a better player and cheater than Messi. Messi might wind up being a better player but he will never be a better cheater.
    It's not winning the World Cup as a team player...it winning it single-handedly for your Country. Maradona inherited a not so great Argentina and just because he's in the team they are World beaters...Messi needs to do that, he surronded by World Class stars but he fails against average South American defenders. Laughing
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:52 am

Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" 881856 Bale
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Post by Walcott Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 am

Luxz0rz wrote:Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" 881856 Bale
    Whose he? Never heard of him. Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" 706492
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:49 am

Luxz0rz wrote:Xavi: Messi "now even better than Maradona" 881856 Bale

Another overrated British player.
    LeBron

Formerly known as : Spider
    Supports : Man Red.

Post by LeBron Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:51 am

then i guess cr7 is better than god.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:33 pm