Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium

Anonymous

Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium Empty Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm

The Athens derby between Panathinaikos and Olympiacos was abandoned on Sunday after home fans reportedly set fire to several parts of the stadium.

Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium Panathinaikosfire20120318_275x155

The Superleague encounter between the two arch-rivals was called off nine minutes before full-time after Panathinaikos fans lit fires around the stadium and threw missiles and flares at police.

Away fans were not in attendance at the Olympic Stadium due to league restrictions.

Initial crowd disturbances delayed the start of the second half by nearly an hour, and the mood in the stadium was not helped when Olympiacos took the lead through Djamel Abdoun's 51st-minute strike.

Referee Anastasio Kakos eventually called a halt to proceedings in the 81st minute after a number of explosions occurred close to the field of play.

Panathinaikos skipper Kostas Katsouranis told reporters the incidents marked a black day for Greek football.

''That was not football,'' he said. ''It is one of the worst moments in Greek football.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1037597/athens-derby-abandoned-after-fires-started?cc=5901

facepalm

Flares are sometimes nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing them banned at football matches. Fans just take it too far.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium Empty Re: Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium

Post by Paulinho Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I agree, maybe morally, they should be banned. But the Atmosphere in the greek league is the only thing that makes it worth watching, lol.
    Anonymous

Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium Empty Re: Athens Derby Abandoned After Fires Started in Stadium

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm sure they can still create a great atmosphere without flares.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Paulinho Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Of course, it's just a big factor that puts the atmosphere in Greece on that uppermost level
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Flares are shit anyway, they fucking stink + they choke you.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Jelavić7|EFC wrote:Flares are shit anyway, they fucking stink + they choke you.
    Weak.
    Potato-7
    Potato-7

Supports : Olympiakos

Post by Potato-7 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am

Unfortunately,you see this kind of things in Greece all the time.Unless measures are taken,the situation is not going to change.Yesterday night was a horrible night,and I couldnt care less that my team sealed the championship.

However,The politicians dont seem to care about this problem(because of the economical problems),and I think that we will see more of this in the future.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am

I don't even mind flares, this is just really rare
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 am

yeah i hate people who are like "oh look something bad happened so we should ban them" Rolling Eyes
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Even though the modern stadiums are not built with wood when you have flares very bad type of things like this can happen. I do believe these flares have more burning power then what caused the famous fire above this message.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:10 am